Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

FF1 Transmission Mount Inserts 997.1- Do These Do Anything -

infrasilver said:
Phil 997 said:
Stuart said:
Direct from Function First website.

Hi Stuart, I have looked on the function first website and see they do three type track80a black, road70a yellow ,and soft 60a orange . which did you go for and why. the 60a is the orange one I saw at suncoast. I am torn between the orange and the yellow and was hoping for guidance and reasoning. it is my daily drive. thanks Phil

It wouldn't really matter which one you had because they just support the current rubber mount and don't replace it, I would suggest the soft mount but if I was leaning towards a track spec car I would remove the rubber mount all together and fit a solid poly bush and not use an insert like this.
Think of this as a bra to stop a bit of sagging.

infrasilver, thanks for putting it into laymans for me :thumb: can't get the picture of sagging boobs in a bra out of my head now :grin: :lol: :wink:
I was wondering what the difference between the soft and the road would do to the car I realise a bit more vibration etc. but how different would the car be between the two. I don't want to go poly as it.s my daily and don't want to make it too track orientated and lose some comfort.

Attachments

• transmission_mounts_477.jpg
    transmission_mounts_477.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 10,165
Phil 997 said:
Stuart said:

Hi Stuart, I have looked on the function first website and see they do three type track80a black, road70a yellow ,and soft 60a orange . which did you go for and why. the 60a is the orange one I saw at suncoast. I am torn between the orange and the yellow and was hoping for guidance and reasoning. it is my daily drive. thanks Phil

I went with the black after discussions with FF.

:thumb:

Stuart said:
Phil 997 said:
Stuart said:

I went with the black after discussions with FF.

:thumb:
Stuart was that for a track or daily driver what's your thoughts for my requirements for a daily driver that's been lowered and intake, exhaust mods as you have talked with them. :thumbs:

from FF within a Rennlist thread:
STREET - Yellow (70A) for less NVH
TRACK - Black (80A) for optimized performance

There has been no reported additional intrusive NVH with the STREET version, so it's ideal for those of you favoring keeping the car purely streetable. However, with the GT3/Turbo trans mounts in particular, there is very little NVH penalty even with the harder inserts, so for those of you interested more in the performance benefits I recommend the original TRACK version for spirited street driving, AutoX, and DE/Track.

If I was you I'd go with Street Yellow.

I went with black as I've already got a LWFW, RSS engine mounts, 997GT3 trans mount, cup cables and loud exhaust. There's no way I'm getting any more noise above that lot...

:grin:

Great thanks to all for the input. I am going to order the yellow. :thumb:

I saw the GB thread, but thought it would be worth responding on this one that yes, it seems like a good idea, but wouldn't you want to polybush the entire engine and gearbox at the same time, on the basis that they move together as one? In which case, does FF do poly engine mount bushes or would we need uprated engine mounts (from say RSS)?

I've polybushed the engine and gearbox on my non-Porsche weekend car, and that feels a lot tighter in terms of engine movement, and has fart better clutch engagement, as the whole lot doesn't rock and bounce around anymore...

MaxA said:
I've polybushed the engine and gearbox on my non-Porsche weekend car, and that feels a lot tighter in terms of engine movement, and has fart better clutch engagement, as the whole lot doesn't rock and bounce around anymore...

Quite interested to understand what kind of noise this set-up makes each time you depress the pedal!? :?: :D

it must be the German in me :cop:

Hi Max,
YES I agree that the more you can do the tighter everything is.
I was planning to start with the transmission see how I got on with that as there is minimal or no NVH dependant on which colour grade you go with, and then look at RSS engine mounts but I need a bit more research on the engine mounts to see what level of NVH they give and see if I can live with it. I am meeting a forum member on Friday who has fitted the RSS engine mounts and I am hoping to see what the levels of NVH are, he says there is a bit of vibration at 4k revs but then it goes, but I need to find if that works for me as everyone is different as to what they like etc..
I have a 4" underdrive pulley kit on its way to me thanks to another forum member.
So I am hoping this group of mods will tighten everything up and squeeze the last bit of performance and handling from the car without getting unto serious and expensive track focussed mods that might affect the daily usability of the car..
It's good to hear that you have done these mods to your other car with positive results as that's reassuring that these mods" do what it says on the tin" . Everyone that's done it says it's an improvement and not really heard any negatives to it, apart from maybe the price but everyone to there own on what's a good and what's not a good price. personally any performance improvements that don't come with lots of negatives for under £100 have to be worth doing . :grin: :thumb: and as all I am doing if taking 10 years worth of wear slack out of the transmission it has to be a good thing for the car. :thumb:

PS the Freudian slip made me laugh it's a sauerkraut thing and I also blame it on the car :floor:

I'd think it's definitely worth doing both engine and gearbox together, especially on an older car, but it would be great to hear about the RSS mounts after Friday. Stiffer bushes can/do add NVH, but for me the key issue is whether you get a nasty resonance at idle (ie sitting at the lights) which really makes things vibrate, as once you're up and running, it's unlikely you'll notice anything. I've seen rear view mirrors and gearlevers shaking like a 70s disco. Really want to avoid that!

And anyway, it's a sports car. If I wanted refinement, I'd buy a Mercedes or a Lexus but I'd rather chew my own leg off.

MaxA said:
I'd think it's definitely worth doing both engine and gearbox together, especially on an older car, but it would be great to hear about the RSS mounts after Friday. Stiffer bushes can/do add NVH, but for me the key issue is whether you get a nasty resonance at idle (ie sitting at the lights) which really makes things vibrate, as once you're up and running, it's unlikely you'll notice anything. I've seen rear view mirrors and gearlevers shaking like a 70s disco. Really want to avoid that!

And anyway, it's a sports car. If I wanted refinement, I'd buy a Mercedes or a Lexus but I'd rather chew my own leg off.

LOL agreed I had a merc SL it looked like a sports car but that's where it ended it was still like driving a sofa. yes its the resonance that I want to avoid also. I will let you know re the RSS mounts. :thumb:

I have the yellow version fitted on my car. Definitely improves the crispness of the cars handling - removes that feeling of the engine and tranny moving around behind you. Also seems to have improved the gear change - just feels tighter and more responsive.
Very slight increase in NVH but nothing to write home about!!
I also have the RSS engine mounts installed.

For the cost IMHO a very worthwhile investment. :thumb:

I pondered this last summer but decided to replace the rubber bush itself instead.

My rationale was simple - the bush was 45000 miles old and whilst adding some support in the form of a PU bush would help it's not fixing it. Regardless of any insert, the bushes delaminate over time.

The new standard bush coupled with Porsche RS engine mounts made a huge difference with only a slight increase in what could be felt through the car.

symoonbeam said:
I have the yellow version fitted on my car. Definitely improves the crispness of the cars handling - removes that feeling of the engine and tranny moving around behind you. Also seems to have improved the gear change - just feels tighter and more responsive.
Very slight increase in NVH but nothing to write home about!!
I also have the RSS engine mounts installed.

For the cost IMHO a very worthwhile investment. :thumb:

Thanks for your thoughts , It does sound like a worthwhile mod as no one has said any negatives . do you think the yellow trans mounts added the little NVH or the RSS engine mounts were what added the NVH but if with both there is only a hardly noticeable amount of NVH then it sounds like both are what should be done :thumb: :grin:

I have started a group buy thread in the Porsche chatter section if anyone is interested in these transmission mount inserts ,they are available in three variations.and we have been offered a decent group buy discount and cheaper shipping.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=111818

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back