Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

944S 2.5 16v resto then track project

My list of things to do is considerable shorter than it was two weeks ago,

Welding on the N/S rear sill to finish,
Front wheel spacers,
Lower rear end,
Bleed brakes,
Bodywork sorted where I've welded,
Paint front bumper and sunroof panel,
Dent removal company to sort a couple of little dings out,
Detail the paintwork once all the above is done,
Sunroof commissioning, micro switch issue I think,
Central locking not 100% working
Couple of interior parts to fit.

Hopefully it will be MOT'd and OTR mid May.

Another couple of weeks go by where I tick things off my To Do list only to end up adding a few more. I was going well with getting the brakes bled at the weekend and the whole front end suspension is all fitted including the wheel arch liners that I had to buy as they were missing from the car when I bought it.

After bleeding the brakes on Saturday, I came into the garage on Sunday to a strong smell of fuel, it smelt worse because it had been so hot but it was the first time I'd smelt this. I checked around the car but couldn't see anything on the floor and though it may be just the tank venting.

On Monday I had to refit the rear pad sensor wiring and fit a new fuel filter so off came the O/S rear wheel and this is when I got a stronger smell of fuel (I hear some of the seasoned 944 owners shouting out what the issue is) and low and behold the fuel pipe is sweating fuel. I got some rag and wiped the area to see where it was coming from only for it to start leaking from a hairline crack worse than it was. AAAARGGGHHH

The leak was about and inch from the joint.

I put a bucket under it and headed for Halfords as this would be a job for Tuesday.

On Tuesday I fitted the flexible fuel hose I'd bought and cut out the section that was corroded plus about 6 inches towards the rear beam and checked for leaks and all seemed fine, I took the car outside onto the drive whilst I had a new windscreen fitted to the Golf once that was done I locked the the 944 up for the night.

Wednesday I was back in there to actually do the brake sensor wiring. No such luck, there was a strong smell of fuel again, I looked under the car and I could see two drips every couple of seconds dripping onto the floor and it had buckled the plastic floor tiles I have on the floor because of the amount of fuel. It had been dripping all night. :frustrated:

I realised in fixing one section I had disturbed the next section over the rear beam. Luckily I had enough fuel hose left to do the full length over the beam and I think I have cured it at last. What a nightmare. :x

I also need to replace about 6 floor tiles as they have warped too much to re-fit.

The pipe over the beam broke when I tried to remove it.

The difference in pipe sidewall between the how thin the corroded section had become.

Whilst I was under there I also spotted the brake pipe T piece union pipes, 2 of, were quite corroded and will probably fail an MOT so this will mean I'll have to bleed the brakes again once this next job is fixed.

I did tick one job off the list, the fuel filter is now fitted.

You'll get there! Once it's done it's done and you can forget about it. The break pipes under my 944 are absolutely horrific, worst I've seen. When I get time over the summer I'll renew all of them. Can't remember if you've already got some but the break flexys are cheap as chips at ECP.

New brake pipes fitted to both sides over the rear beam today (what a pain that was) with a new supply pipe and now looking a bit better than the previous crud infested photo I posted previously and now it should be MOT passable.

So back to square one again after the weeks diversion of fuel and brake pipe issues with a ruined garage floor. :nooo:

Looking good, I have this to come. Just been looking at 944 prices, they are creeping up!

Got a little bit of bling through the post today, 30 years of people getting in and out of this car have worn the paint through so these sill protectors should look good and keep it from any more wear. I will paint the sill door shuts before fitting these. And yes the garage floor does need a good clean.

The central locking system and door locks have been a bit unusual on this car and I first decided to see if I could get the key working on the passenger side door lock. The key goes in but won't turn, it's solid and I have to lean into the passenger side to unlock that side.

I stripped the door card off and central locking system out and then realise I can actually remove the exterior handle from the outside with the door open. :duh:

Actually removing the door card was a good thing in the end as you'll see later.

I did this and stripped the handle down and removed the lock barrel, it looked a right mess.

The grease that had been lubing it for years had turned to stone and it took a bit of carb cleaner to clean all the grease off whilst being careful not to mix the order up or lose one of those tiny springs.

I remounted the barrel in to the door handle and its as good as new again and locking/unlocking with the key.

Unfortunately this is where I end up spending money at OPC again.

As I tried to refit the handle, it was being a real PITA to get back in and I used a technique I'd seen to wiggle it back to it's ball and socket. As I did this the link arm snapped at the casting and rivet.

Job stopped. :x

I have now ordered this arm and also I think I have found out why the central locking is suspect, the two white plastic arms that connect the actuators seem to have come off because the clips have broken. Two of these were also ordered, one for each side.

When removing the drivers side door card to have a look I also found this to be wet at the bottom, so I'm assuming blocked drain holes in the door, a job for tomorrow I think.

It's these little jobs that take the most time up :nooo:

Still, if you're gonna do it - do it properly! :thumb:

Keep up the excellent work Mr Silver.

Working central locking = 100% satisfaction :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back