Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Has anybody plasti-dipped thier wheels?

ScoobyDoo555

Looking for ideas really.

Can either go for full respray (they aren't curbed), or look at a plastidip option.

More interested in the coat/texture tbh. I like the idea of a different glossy texture too.

The big issue I've got though (for both options!) is colour.

The current colour is the standard silver. (it's a black 996)....
Any pics of different wheel colour options from owners?

Dan :)

I've seen the finished article on displays at car shows but yet to see a car that has had this done and in regular use. The glossy smooth finish does look good and design options are infinite.

My only concern would be a scuff or kerb mark as the wheel would need fully dipping again, whereas a regular painted or powder coated wheel could be smart repaired.

C.

Thanks for this. There appears to be 2 "warring" factions. Plastidip and frost liquid wrap. Both have fans. Both are about the same price.

Both have the same failings ie damage potential looks rubbishy!

However for a tiny but more investment and a bit of rubbing down, paint appears to still be the winner!!

And it's more durable.

Looking at this place - http://www.alloypaints.com/aerosol-wheel-paint-kit-primer-colourlacquer-101-p.asp

Just need to decide on colour - they're getting back to me with some more definitive colour pictures rather than descriptions.

Dan

Wise decision IMO. I can see the appeal of trim pieces in plastidip but wheels take a lot of abuse, temperature changes, stone chips and the dreaded curb... ;)

C.

Hi yes plasti dipped a "cheap" set of 19s, don't worry about repairing them after kerbing, there are vids to show how to repair plasti dip, I wanted to see if black would suit car, so used black with glossifier, they end up being a sort of satin black...
Plus side - for £100 I did all 4 wheels (including buying the turbine type comp & gun). + I got to see that I actually wanted gloss black - not satin, so peeled it off & respected them 3 weeks ago using a £60 air brush set up, paint,primer & thinners £30 for all 4 wheels.
I will never win a concourse show with the finish, but from anything but very close examination they look superb.
Send pm with email address I will send plasti dip piccys if you like.
Cheers
Dave

Thanks, I did the same this weekend. They're not perfect, but they're better than they were and for the little money they cost me (more so my time), I'm happy.

Shows up my rusty nuts now (oo er)
IMG_2414_zpsnuvozgmy.jpg

IMG_2415_zps34bpj08l.jpg

a little darker than standard, but not by much.

And I've also got a 2nd set of caps that I can spray up should I decide to change them again :)

Dan

They look good. I think Plasti Dip is great and you can't really tell the difference unless you get up close. A great way of experimenting.

I've just bought one of the aerosol cans to test this out on something small...if all goes to plan my other half has kindly donated her car for me to test it out on a larger scale.

fell in love with the 996 turbo they coated on dipyourcar.com

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back