Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Winter Tyre Performance Tyre & Winter Tyre POLL

Which WINTER tyre brand are you running on your Porsche ?

• BFGoodrich

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bridgestone

• Continential

• Dunlop

• Falken

• Goodyear

• Firestone

• Hancock

• Kumho

• Nokian

• Toyo

• Uniroyal

• Vredestein

• Yokohama

• Other (please post details!)

• Total voters

Porsche News

Your Porsche is engineered to deliver exceptional performance under the most challenging road conditions and there is no reason to expect less during the winter months.

Take a few moments to familiarise yourself with the science and engineering behind these specialty products. Special rubber compounds and tread design are central to winter tyre performance. Winter tyre treads provide maximum grip on icy and snowy surfaces.

What sets winter tyres apart from other tyres is their ability to perform under cold conditions. When temperatures drop below +5ËšC, the rubber compounds in summer and all-season tyres may become hard, resulting in significantly longer braking distances and reduced traction.

Porsche recommends the use of winter tyres below +5ËšC, regardless of the amount of snow or slush on the ground, for reasons of both safety and performance.

PLEASE REFER TO BELOW PDF ATTACHMENTS FOR RECOMMENED WINTER TYRES

Beware of the limits of 'all-season" tyres. No tyre on the market performs well through all four seasons, especially when the temperature drops. We prefer the term 'winter tyre" as opposed to 'snow tyre". Porsche recommends that you use winter tyres due to the adverse effects of cold temperatures on rubber compounds, even if your area receives little snow.

Stopping distances at 30mph /50 km/h*
Winter tyres: 39.1 metres
All-season tyres: 50.7 metres

* Example of a test vehicle equipped with automatic transmission and anti-lock brakes tested at - 20° C with 3 to 5 cm of compacted snow and ice on asphalt surface.

Remember, all new tyres require a 'break-in" period of approximately 100-200 km before you attempt heavy braking or cornering.

Attachments

• 911winter_661.jpg
    911winter_661.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 14,722
  • wintertyres_952.pdf
    71.5 KB · Views: 382
  • porschewintertyres98_05_129.pdf
    35.9 KB · Views: 487
Winter Tyre Poll, what tyre does your PORSCHE run on?

It's the winter tyre poll of polls, to understand which tyre brand you are running on your PORSCHE ?

We're not expecting many Porsche's out there to be on Winter Tyres but we've set up this poll just for your Porsche.

Info
If you're also able to state which Porsche and which specific tyres you have in a post reply below, that would be most helpful :)

Video

A few winter tyre videos

winter-tyre-infographic-tyrereviews.jpg

Attachments

• tire_chart_148.jpg
    tire_chart_148.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 14,701
  • winter_194.jpg
    winter_194.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 14,621
2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

N-rated Pirelli Sottozero - Front: 235 35 19, Rear: 295 30 19 :thumb:

2011 Porsche 991 Carrera

N-rated Michelin Pilot Alpin
Front: 235 40 19 N0
Rear: 285 35 19 N0

:)

There's no 'Slippers' option for 993 owners who SORN over winter :dont know:

Pirelli Sottozeros on mine (17", N-rated). They came with the car and I have to say, I don't like them at all - they're very unpredictable on a damp or greasy road and I've had some big opposite lock moments at very low speeds with a gentle right foot. Next winter, I'll probably leave the normal rubber on and get the bus to work on the few days it's seriously snowy or icy.

Nokian's for me. No snow this year to try them on but brilliant in the horrendous surface water we've had. They cut through it brilliantly.

I actually think they're quieter than my Michelin summer tyres too. Will be able to confirm when I get round to swapping back in the next couple of weeks.

I'm running Nokian Hakkapeliitta7 studded winters on my 997, 295 at the rear, and 235 up front. Wear so far is negligible; they'll probably age out before they wear out.

If I didn't run the studded tyres, I'd run the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 (Nordic winters), but you'd want to order them in advance...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back