Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What do we think of this 991 ?

Nimrod

Hi All,

With the new 911 going turbo I have recently been scanning the classifieds looking at 991 gen 1's and 997 gen 2's as I prefer NA motors.

I have two 993's and have been thinking of selling the 2s and getting something that can be used more regularly as a daily driver . I was favouring the 997 for the hydraulic steering but the current prices seem a bit ambitious and tonight I spotted this :

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201604012508523

What do you guys think ?

Hi Whytar,

I noticed the one at Portsmouth as well, it appears to be one of those specs that occasionally appear at multiple OPC's.

I was looking for a manual specifically, I would probably regret it come resale but I don't feel involved in driving a Porsche with PDK. I had a gts on loan, it was a lovely car but it was only at insane speeds where I felt involved in driving it.

I agree about the wheels, I think they need to be grey or maybe black, I do love the ducktail though I might see about removing the extra spoiler.

If I was buying another Porsche it would be manual 100%.

I know PDK makes sense for resale but if I change it will still be used for fun and for me that means a manual.

talk about a double take

per the image below

both identical, just a year and miles in between

Attachments

• 2016_04_04_22_29_33_151.jpg
    2016_04_04_22_29_33_151.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 7,486
Agree, PDK doesn't float my boat either. My next 911 won't have PDK that's 100% as well.

I don't have a good gut feeling about these, especially as the saying is double trouble.

I know its been said before but, forget about resale, buy what works for you. There will always be a market for manuals.

Have you tracked PDK? Honestly, I was a 100% manual guy until I tracked a PDK and now live in London. It offers the best of both worlds, for me.

However, the manual in the 991 is not as slick as the 997 manual....

...the PDK in 991 is noticeably quicker, seems more intelligent and suits the car 100% IMO. With a 997, much closer decision. On a 4S cab like mine, I think PDK is perfect, but on a GTS Coupe for example, like the idea of a manual.

FWIW, I only ever drive my car in manual mode with 'Sport' on, well except maybe in traffic and there is a lot of traffic in London.

The manual in the 997 is/was an outstanding gearbox. I think other than an S2000 I had many years ago, it was my favourite gear box.

I agree with you Tom about the S2000, I loved the gearbox in mine and the 997 is very good.

I've never really understood why a company like Honda or Porsche can make a gearbox everybody loves and yet they f..k about with it in the next model and ruin it. The power and torque hasn't increased that much in the 991 all the changes must be to achieve about 0.5 a mpg .

Nimrod said:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201604012508523

What do you guys think ?
My dream spec :thumb:

- Wide body
- Manual
- Aerokit
- plus it seems to have a load of other optional spec thrown at it (this is £100k + car)

Personal other touches to make it my dream car:
- Colour coded alloys
- all white rear tail lights
- 997 RS graphics along the flanks

This must be worth at least a test drive - i can't see it hanging there for long at that mileage/spec/price.

~ Maxie

I understand the attraction of manual, but boy is PDK on a 991 something else! With PSE on, in sport mode with manual control, it's addictive. Took the one I have out for a blast earlier, the instant reaction times, the intelligence, the engine blips (often double blips), the noises the PSE makes in response (roof down helped) was proper modern supercar stuff. I had obviously been pooldling around too much, now it's 991 love :roll:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back