Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is a 991 £37k better than a Cayman?

Is a Cayman 30k better than an MX5? It's a subjective question that pertains to your own value system. The same argument can be said of watches. What can a £250k watch do that a £500 watch can't.
If it makes you feel good and won't affect your standard of living, do as you please in my book. It's about you and not what people think of your choice. What other people think of you is none of your business...my 2 cents.

I've been saying along these lines for years. Coming from Bxsters albeit a 986 and 987 my first 911 experience in my old 3.8S cab wasn't great. I never gelled with the car and sold it after about nine months to get my turbo. And I have another 987 now as my daily.

If I didn't have the turbo I would have bought a new Boxster, no doubt about it. In fact I might still buy a new Boxster, waiting to drive one first.

Anyone thinking of buying a Porsche should think of them as equals as I think they are for the most part.

I was in a similar position albeit with 2nd hand. If I didn't want to take the kids out I dare say I would have a newer Cayman in the garage however as it was my first Porsche I also felt the same as above so 911 it had to be. Heart ruled head.

Great write up Terry and I really must splash out on a Porsche driving experience at some stage ........ but which Cayman would opt for? ....... there are Caymans ....... then there Caymans.

Anything less than the R I don't think I would really want ........ yet I think the GT4 might be a bit too far for me ....... so I reckon for me it would be the GTS.

Is a Cayman 30k better than an MX5?

If you had said Boxster instead of Cayman I perhaps could have understood your post ........ but as is ........ :dont know:

I'm pleased that you found it an interesting topic. Thanks for all your thoughts.

As a 911 owner for over 6 years I completely get the whole thing about paying a premium for that kudos and nobody has used the phrase "the Cayman is a great car but it's not a 911" any more than me BUT having now had decent length drives in base and S Cayman 981s and base and S 991s my thinking about them all has changed somewhat.

The analogies made by others are interesting. As someone who has never paid more than £200 for a watch I can't relate to the £500 v £?k comparison at all. I can however see the point about the MX5 v Boxster/Cayman debate as my wife and I have often mulled over the prospect of swapping her GT86 for a Cayman of similar value. The fact that we've never actually got near to doing it is more to do with the fact that I don't like the looks of the 986 or 987. If buying either of them new the debate about whether a very basic 981 Cayman at £40k is better than a £25k GT86 would be interesting. Personally I think I'd pay a much smaller premium and go for a 3 year old Porsche.

Getting back to the original question I'm really struggling to argue a case for a new 991 being worth 80% more than an equivalent new 981. Putting that into a different perspective you could very nearly buy a base Cayman and a basic Cayman S for the same money as one 991S.

It's only a moot point for me as I wouldn't consider buying a new car but if I did, for UK road driving purposes only, I'd definitely be looking at a decent spec Cayman GTS for c£65k and keeping £15k in my pocket.

I don't know how I'll feel when the time comes to change my 997T for something a bit newer but at the moment I'm still a 911 nut so the thought of spending £50k+ on anything other than a 991 is a bit alien.

I have hung off a response to the OP as I wanted to see what the main thrust of the feelings were. As I suspected it seems to be mainly 'but it's not a 911'.

Indeed it's not and it was never supposed to be.

When I got to the point of purchase (this being my first Porsche) I made the decision to look and drive as many as I could. I drove a number of 911's, all were 996's except a 2S (which was a 997 and out of my price range).

On a whim as I was looking for some direction in my purchase plans I decided to (randomly) drive a Cayman - I found it better drive and better handling car all round. I had no need for rear seats and the whole 'blatting across Europe' thing is not my bag. Drove a couple more 911's but it was the Cayman that had done it for me.

Had the car 3 years now - still love it and enjoy driving it.

Suppose it begs the question 'would I go down the 911 route' if and when I decide to change this one? Actually, no - it would be a newer Cayman if that occasion ever arrives.

GT4 said:
Sometimes smaller IS better.

Are you on the wrong website again :?:

The nearest I'll get to owning a £90K 911.

Cant fault your logic T8 (says he with rose tinted specs):)

I had a 991.1 4S as a loaner and to be completely honest, if you'd have said, which set of keys do you want on return, Id go CGTS every time (except to sell the 991 and pocket the diff of course)

Anyway, the P church is/should be a broad one :wink:

You'll be in a CGTS by next Spring T8, methinks :bandit:

I use the back seats to take the kids out , as a few of you know ! (Noisy little buggers!)

At the PCGB meets there are always a few Caymans, and I think they look / sound good. The "hotter" versions in particular are pretty special I think.

Now that Porsche seem to have allowed the junior model to grow up , they have broadened their market massively.
When a 997 turbo owner sees the car as a genuine alternative , speaks volumes

:?:

madalaa said:
Is a Cayman 30k better than an MX5?

If you had said Boxster instead of Cayman I perhaps could have understood your post ........ but as is ........ :dont know:
I did mean Boxster, but could have been a Ford Focus for the point I was trying to make. At the other end of the scale is a 918 10x better than a GT3? It all comes down to each person and how they value each aspect of the car ownership experience with no right or wrong answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back