Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Considering a Cayman 2.7 - advice pls

greenson

I am considering buying a Cayman 2.7 manual as an alternative daily and. Second car whilst I give my 996 a rest and a bit of TLC this year
I have chosen to look for a 2.7 circa 2005/6 on the basis that according to the general forum chatter and buying guides they don't really suffer with terminal issues like the old IMS and bore scoring as do the 3.2 versions and of course they are the cheapest in the range!
Can anyone offer any support on this thought process ? Should I be looking for anything glaringly obvious on this model which might cause me grief or are they just as bad as the 3.2 ?
Thank you

:)

Hello Greenson,
I'm no expert but i had a 2006 Cayman, albeit the 3.4 variant.

My only regret was not getting a tiptronic as i found the clutch a bit hard work or at least my missus did.
I also found that without pasm, it was a bit of a harsh ride.

Im thinking the 2.7 will have the smaller wheels that may make the the ride a bit smoother though.

I reckon they are great cars and Im now in a gen2 pdk model and I love it to bits.

Not sure on engine issues but as you seem to know already the 2.7's don't seem to suffer the same gremlins as the bigger ones.

Happy hunting.

I'm no expert but I think the 2.7 engine is the lesser of the two evils.

I drove one with 18" wheels and found the ride hard and the car slightly underpowered but more like a lack of torque than sheer power. If you like going through the gears and don't drive in a lot of clutch juddering traffic then it would be fine.

I drove a 2.9 on 19" wheels with no PASM and that was boneshaking and again you had to work the gears to get it going.

I imagine a 3.4 S with Tiptronic and PASM would be a pretty nice car to own but they are quite hard to come by.

All totally subjective of course. A weekend blat in a manual 2.7 on 17"wheels
would be a lot of fun but you won't get the torque of your 996.

Rich, you`re welcome to take my 2006 Boxster S manual for a blast as a comparator, might just sway you over to the dark side :grin:

I think you would find the 2.7 a bit lacking after your 4S to be honest :dont know:

Long time no see/beer, don`t forget the Meriden meet on the 31st :thumb:

Great little engine and very well balanced in the 987.

I love my Cayman R, but my partners 2.7 is a great fun car.

My 2008 (57) Cayman 2.7 was fantastic as a daily. Had it for 4 years, drove 40k miles (70k total) and only costs were 2 services and front pads, as well as tyres of course.

Was running 19s and was bumpy but I soon got used to that. Apparently the stock 17s are best for a smooth ride, unless you find one with PASM!

It would be difficult for me to go back to this as a DD being spoilt by the delights of the 997 but if you kept your 911 then not a problem.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back