Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

cat c 964

medicus said:
Dream911 said:
medicus said:
i recently bought a flood damaged 997 turbo PDK (60 plate)it suffered water ingress up to the seat bases, and was given a cat B status, because of the risk of safety wiring such as air bags, pre tensioners etc failing due to rusting.
the car was immaculate pre flood with very low milage, i bought it for £40k under its book price........ it only cost £5k to replace 2 ECU'S seats, carpets, and loom various other small bits....then an SVA test to check the cars "repair" then a normal MOT and a re issued V5.

Have the rules changed :?: ....I thought CAT B cars were so badly damaged they could only be broken for spares? Thougt the idea was to remove CAT B damaged cars from ever reappearing on public roads.

:?:

there has never been rules so to speak the categories are just for Insurance purposes and are guidelines only, you can fix/repair/or even build your own car from scratch (kit cars etc) they just have to be inspected as i mentioned (FULL SVA test)
so any cat can be put back on the road. i have had a few cat D cars, 2 cat C and 1 cat B
the cat B car has a marker applied to the V5C that cannot be removed.

i know a lot of people don't know this, and think they must be for spares only, but thats not true.

That's really interesting and I know C and D status was set by the Insurance companies...I guess I figured A and B was done by the police or some form of authority but I`ve never really given it much thought....fair point on the kit cars.

There was a 993 turbo S at 9meister a year or so back that was being broken for spares and sold of and I thought this was because it was classed as Cat B......Maybe the cat status wasn't the reason it was being sold off in parts. :?:

your half right sir, because most (vast majority) of cat B write off's would defiantly not be going back on the road, because of twisted chassis and destruction
but some escape the net because of financial and safety reasons.which as long as there fixed/replaced properly matters not.

Has anyone been to see the car in question? I've been watching it for weeks now and it seems to sell then pops back up a few days later with a different asking price!

Apologies if this is slightly off topic again, but hopefully it may bring some sense to salvage vehicles......

Salvage category's are so subjective these days. It used to be:
D = Repairable
C = Repairable
B = Breaker
A = Totally destroyed (IE by fire)

Cat D and C were given the respective category based on cost of repair vs value of the vehicle.
Most insurers have a contract with a salvage agent whereby they agree to pay a percentage of the (say) Glasses guide retail value of the vehicle.
So for example, Cat D the salvage agent would pay 70% of the retail value for the car. This means the repair costs must not exceed 30% of the cars value as it is cheaper for the insurer to write it off.
Cat C the percentage would be less as the damage is 'likely' to be more severe and so on. (highly variable and inaccurate).

Cat B was 'spares only' therefore attracted very little % of book value as it should only be broken for spare parts (B for breaker)
Cat A attracted zero value as there is no perceived value of the scrap.

Insurers being insurers then went to Cat X and category U 'unclassified' for cars that were very lightly damaged (IE stolen then recovered with very little or no damage, or recovered after they had settled the claim) and these cars are not recorded on any register.

Times have changed, and the personal injury and credit hire elements of claims have influenced things significantly. If an insurer thinks he may be facing long term credit hire costs or any extended costs, he will be inclined to just write the car off no matter how lightly damaged it is. This limits their exposure to risk and the cost implication of the claim.

Bear in mind that insurers will be taking big hits on claims, and will most likely be relaxing their own rules and industry guidelines (their own creation by the way) to offset costs. Hope this sheds some light. Although 'clear as mud' springs to mind lol!

Personally, I have never had a problem buying a 'Category car' but the future value is affected, therefore the buying price needs to reflect it.
However, I do believe that the total loss marker vs value diminishes over time.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back