Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Grrr both door windows get wet on inside!!!!

stucart

Montreal
Tried searching this on here and on other Forums but cant seem to come up with a definite answer/ cure!
Problem:- If its raining or i've washed the car and the glass is wet on the outside if I drop and raise the window the inside of the glass becomes wet and streaky with water!!! Its really peeing me off!
Car is under OPC warranty so at last service I asked them to investigate, they said it was a "contaminated seal" and advised me to spray contact cleaner down inside seal on the door! (which I haven't), "why didn't you change the seal?" .... "its not covered under warranty Sir"
Anyone got a definite answer to what's occurring, what seal are they refering to
is it expensive (id have paid for it if it would have fixed it)
It happens on both doors and as said its really annoying when none of my other cars do anything similar, my Fiat Panda's windows remain perfectly clear
yet my £££££ Porsche ends up with water on inside!!!
Come on Porsche , Really!!!!
Frustrated! :sad:

If you look at this post ...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...Replacing_Your_Window_Regulator_and_Motor.htm

Look at the second from bottom image , it shows your door with metal membrain removed.

As you can see there is no seal in the door only the top edge one or the door seal that the glass sits against when the door is shut. Have you got water running down the glass from the top seal ? it doesnt sound like it from your post so thats out , inner top edge seal is a bit high and behind the glass when water gets in the door so i think that maybe out as well.

If you wash the car then lower the window 2 inches and raise it again that will prove if its the top edge seal as you will see water straight away.

I could use a picture or two of where abouts the water streaks are but i think its more likely to be the rubber ribbed strip along the cable in the center of the image , this can get detached from its fixing and rub against the glass causeing water streaks in the center part of the window.

Its also possible that the way the window is set its hitting this reguardless , in which case its going to be difficult to fix , need to have door stripped to see really.

But to be fair when our valetor has just cleaned or washed a car im told not to open the windows as it will streak them .. he gets kinda annoyed if i do lol.

my 996 used to leak water inside when washing or heavy rain, i had to use a bit of silicone lube on the seals where the glass touched to make it watertight again - not sure if this could help ?

Thanks for replies, I'll try just lowering the window a couple of inches next time its raining and also try take some pics, that cable? touching the glass seems the most likely from the pics, amazing how complicated the inside of a 997 door is, no doubt has a bearing on why OPC reluctant to strip it to sort it out under warranty.

I'm still convinced it shouldn't happen full stop!

How could water get onto that cable as looking on the piccys its on the inside of the glass, surely any water entering between glass and outer seal would still be wrong side?
Don't think its the top seal the door shuts against that's at fault.

Anyone else got this on a 997.1???/

When the window is closed water will splash all over the inside and definatly on that rubber section of cable , if you have streaks central on the window then im confident thats whats causeing it.

The window in closed position sits well above that cable.

The problem is if its not uncliped then its touching the window in normal operation .. theres no where to move it as in that picture the steel membrain has been removed , it is normally is clipped to that.

Basicaly Opc wasnt interested and i doubt any one took it apart to look.

Also as i said in earlier post our valetor gets upset when windows are opened .. its cause they tend to streak , i have seen water streaks on the inside before but never took much notice , this is the first time ive actually thought about it and figured out what i think is wrong.

Underneath the the bottom edge of the door are 4 plastic caps. If you remove 2 of them, not sure if its the inner or outer ones, you can access 2 10mm nuts that allow you to adjust the gap on the glass. if you loosen them you can move the glass forward & back by pushing & pulling on the nut. I have just done this when fitting a new regulator. Initially the glass was flapping about when opening & shutting the door but now its a perfect seal. Hope this helps?

Aston Martin guru suggested putting in so small diameter vacuum hose to "fill up" the rubber.

Same problem. Its definitely not water. It's some kind of lube/grease requiring microfibre cloth to clean on mine.

Will get OPC to look at it next time it sends it in. Its very annoying - actually obscures view when driving so I'll make the point it's a hazard and absolutely should be warranted - if I need to lower window and dont have a passenger to clean I cant get a clear field of vision out of left side window.

Common trait on all 997s I belive, it happened on my Gen 2 up until last week.

I read on a US forum that it's pub from the regulator mech and only way to solve completely is to replace the regulator, some have had this done under warranty IIRC.

I read last week of a fix, wrap a long flat spatula in a microfibre cloth and run it down both edges of the window. Along the seal, with some vinegar, I did this too mine and was surprised the amount of black residue, I repeated this on both sides of the window on both doors until there was no more residue.

Problem solved! No more streaks! I expect this is only a temporary fix but it's a solution nonetheless, hope this works for you too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back