Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Are Super Sports worth it?

Camskill are also excellent and had the best price when I did my tyres. I have PS2's on mine all round and wouldn't use anything else.

This is why I love this forum, with your help I've checked out those websites and have been quoted £750 for a set (of 4) PS2 and £680 for a set of SP3's. Sizes are 235/35/19 and 265/35/19. Apparently, Michelin don't do the PSS in 235/35 and it seems to make sense to change the whole lot.

I'll have a pair of used 235/35 Bridgestone's soon if anyone is interested!

Thanks for your help chaps, much appreciated. :thumbs:

I noticed, whilst cleaning my 996tt on Saturday afternoon that the 2011 Continental front tyres, whilst still having plenty of wear, having started to crack in between the treads. I'm guessing a.) I ought to replace and b.) it'd be an MOT fail in any case?

The rears, also Conti, are 2013 and do not look as bad. Do I really need to change those too?

Also, for road and general use, PS2, 3 or 4?!?

phil84afc said:
This is why I love this forum, with your help I've checked out those websites and have been quoted £750 for a set (of 4) PS2 and £680 for a set of SP3's. Sizes are 235/35/19 and 265/35/19. Apparently, Michelin don't do the PSS in 235/35 and it seems to make sense to change the whole lot.

should be 235 front and 295 back, be careful!

Diggermeister said:
I noticed, whilst cleaning my 996tt on Saturday afternoon that the 2011 Continental front tyres, whilst still having plenty of wear, having started to crack in between the treads. I'm guessing a.) I ought to replace and b.) it'd be an MOT fail in any case?

The rears, also Conti, are 2013 and do not look as bad. Do I really need to change those too?

Also, for road and general use, PS2, 3 or 4?!?

Tyre experts who have been on this forum have said not to mix tyres between axles on an AWD (personally I wouldn't do it on a 2WD either). If you do replace the fronts, why not just replace them with the same contis that are on the back?

Definitely PS2 rather than 3 or 4.

phil84afc said:

Phil , Michelin do have pilot super sport in 235/35/19 and as resigner says double check the rears as they are usually 295 or 305 and are normally 30 not 35 on the rear so I would expect you to be looking for 235/35/19 fronts and 295/30/19 rears
The SUPER SPORT size guides are listed at in the link but they do all three sizes you have mentioned in PSS.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-super-sport

UPDATE- have noticed your running a cayman not a 911 so forget the size info for the rears but they do 235/35/19 in PSS and 265/30 or 35 19s in PSS :thumbs:

MJA911 said:
Tyre experts who have been on this forum have said not to mix tyres between axles on an AWD...
Thanks. I did, subsequently, go back and re-read the (excellent) information from Michelin on the forum and now understand this.

Link to the thread for others: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106369&highlight=michelin+ps4

MJA911 said:
...Definitely PS2 rather than 3 or 4.
PS2 because they perform better or because of the Porsche OEM "N" rating? Given the car is out of Porsche warranty, I thought the PS4 was deemed a performance improvement? My car would be mainly road use and I'd like it to be able to work year-round.[/url]

Diggermeister said:
MJA911 said:
...Definitely PS2 rather than 3 or 4.
PS2 because they perform better or because of the Porsche OEM "N" rating? Given the car is out of Porsche warranty, I thought the PS4 was deemed a performance improvement? My car would be mainly road use and I'd like it to be able to work year-round.[/url]

If you only need to change the fronts, assuming the contis on the rear are Sport Contact 2 295/30 R18 N2, I still think a pair of Sport Contact 2 225/40 R18 N2s (about £100 a pop) makes sense and when when the rears need doing, you could fit a matching pair of those contis. I don't remember reading criticism of the contis and N rated takes the guesswork out.

Michelin tyres would probably win a vote on here, I had Bridgestone on mine but went Michelin for that reason really, N rated PS2s. You'd expect the more modern Super Sports and PS4s to be technically superior (PS3 isn't a successor tyre to the PS2 as far as I know) but the PS2 N2s are predictable and well thought of.

It also comes down to availability, I had a quick look on a couple of sites and didn't see Super Sports or PS4 in your sizes :dont know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXrEqGopV2I

You got to be really pushing those high performance tyres. Great in the summer when you can get the heat into them to make the compound work.

Good link above to help on choosing the right tyres for your driving style and the road conditions through the design of the tread.

Checking fronts again, they're 235/40 N1...

As I don't plan to do loads of track days, just perhaps the odd few, and I am happy using the car in the wet, I'd say another pair of Continentals up front is a definite option.

Tempted to try a set of four PS2s though and sell rears.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back