Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 4s or GT4 ?

Nimrod

Hi All,

Given the choose of owning and keeping a 4s or swopping for a GT4 which would you prefer as a keeper ?

You won't keep the GT4, so I am not sure it is valid question.

Hi GT4

Sorry it is perhaps a daft question but as it appears that Porsche like most other manufacturers are moving towards smaller less cylinders and turbo's which I dislike I think it maybe a valid question, there may not be another 6 cylinder cayman /718 .

Also I may never be the position again to spend this much on a toy car and my two 993's may not be worth this much again for a while, unlikely I think but possible.

The question I am having with myself is which would give me more pleasure and hopefully not loose to much money .

I am certainly not a speculator as I don't have the money, time or connections to get offered GT cars .

The only time I wanted a GT4 is when they were first announced and I regret the day I didn't put in a letter of intent :pc: In reality they announced it 18 months too early for me to fit in with my future plans and there is no way I'm willing to pay 'over book' for one.

I'm keepting an eye out what Porsche may announce in the next 12 months that will allow me to run it for up to 2yrs and then sell it for not less than I paid :grin:

Surely(don't call me Shirley) it's subjective. My mate has a beautiful Mk1 996 GT3 and just took delivery of his new GT4(with loads of tasty extras). He said in his opinion it's Porsches last hurrah at old skool stuff like the gearbox etc. He said he can't see himself selling it.

Nimrod said:
Hi GT4

Sorry it is perhaps a daft question but as it appears that Porsche like most other manufacturers are moving towards smaller less cylinders and turbo's which I dislike I think it maybe a valid question, there may not be another 6 cylinder cayman /718 .

Also I may never be the position again to spend this much on a toy car and my two 993's may not be worth this much again for a while, unlikely I think but possible.

The question I am having with myself is which would give me more pleasure and hopefully not loose to much money .

I am certainly not a speculator as I don't have the money, time or connections to get offered GT cars .

You posed the binary question quite specifically framed by "keeper" (and arguably no one else can define what "keeper" means to another person)

No offence meant, but the last of the air cooled is also one of those endangered multi-cylinder things, so it would seem to be doubly blessed (although why you need two is beyond me :dontknow:).

I think you need to work out what it is that makes the GT4 attractive to you.

I can't think it's just that it may be the last 6 cyclinder Cayman (I think the clue is in the fact both top of the range Spyder and GT4 use stolen 911 engines, so it is not dependent on the engineering of the rest of the range anyway)

That is not to denigrate the GT4, and not inspite of its status, but because of it - it is not the last of its type, but just the begining.

The 982 GT4 will be even more spectacular (using the detuned NA lump from the 992 GT3)

I suspect it won't have quite the emotional draw of a 993, but as I say, that is coming from someone with but one.

If you do not have the money or connections in respect of a GT4 then why ask?

I'd go with the 993 personally. They aren't going to get cheaper, whereas eventually I reckon that the Caymans certainly will (even the GT4). Further, the GT4 will be replaced by a faster and better version in a year or so whereas they aren't ever going to make anything like a 993 ever again. Ergo you would only ditch the 993 if you didn't like it and if that were the case you would already have made your decision. :dont know:

Brian, like you I missed the opportunity to send a letter of intent and I wouldn't be prepared to pay a premium on one of these or any other car for that matter. I am not sure what will be available for normal retail customers to buy that wont loose money, all the GT3's, 911R no doubt will go to serial buyers.

GT4, if I only had one 993 I wouldn't sell it to buy a GT4 or pretty much any other new Porsche except a GT3. What I have considered is selling one to replace with the GT4. I take your point that Porsche will possibly make another GT4 with a 911 engine but will it be NA or turbo ?

I like it partly for the reason its NA, the GT3 suspension, fun to drive at sane speeds and fairly limited numbers and hence hopefully wont loose a fortune. To me its a good representation of Porsche before becoming part of VW and all the eco nonsense. The fact it can be used all year round without worrying about rain and salt is an attraction.

With reference to a keeper, I hope to be able to keep at least one 993 for a very long time, as long as we can use them and buy ethanol free petrol.

If I was fortunate enough to get a GT4 as well then I can't see why I would want to sell it quickly, certainly not to make a bit of money or for another 20hp .

I think any owner of a decent wide body 993 can afford some pretty nice cars now but Colin is almost certainly right that they are the better bet long term for value and pleasure.

I thought it was a valid question and for me I think its helped clarify my mind thanks to some of your points :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back