Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2014 Mini Cooper S - Rear brake pad replacment - £250??

Gav171073

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi there, Missus has a new new style Mini Cooper S. The warning came up to take it in for worn pads. The local dealer said that the rear pads would need replacing in the next few months and quoted £250 for the pads (not discs).

This seemed really expensive to me. The dealer said that when the pads gets replaced some kind of sensor also needed replacement too....and this was a mini only supplied part.

This seems really expensive to me, and a bit of a gouge too....anyone else any thoughts?

I bought my wife a new Mini Cooper in 2009 and at the same time bought the TLC pack to take care of what I thought was all maintenance.

So at first service we go into the service reception to book in and they ask for the ignition key.They put it into a reader and say that we need new front brake pads at £160 fitted! Absolute rip off! :frustrated:

My (now ex) missus had this with a Cooper S. I ended up buying the pads from Eurocarparts (think they were Pagid) which cost £40 including the wear sensor.

Not a hugely complicated job to fit.

Sadly this is BMW 'tax' - had the same with our X5, they wanted £560 for front discs and pads - cost me £150 for the lot including the wear sensor and a couple of hours of my time.

I'd also check whether you need to 'wind in' the piston on the rear calipers - you do on the earlier R50/53 models and it's a complete PITA as you need a special tool :pc:

Either way most small garages will probably be able to do it in an hour on top of the pad price c£40 for a decent set :thumb:

I had a 2011 R56 Cooper S before the C2 and had to do a pad change all round.

Winding in the rear caliper isn't difficult, changing pads is as straightforward as most cars, but the wear sensor, that was a bit of a pig. It routes off the suspension arm up to the back of the sill and the connector is hidden behind some undertrays. It took a fair bit of knuckle/wrist skin just to get my hand in, but not that difficult. If I'd had more patience I could have done it without bleeding.

I don't think its worth £250 for the job to be done at all. Even the internet can tell you how to reset the service warning on the ecu/key so that doesn't need a plug in.

If you are going off what the key is telling you, check the car itself before you shell out, Apparently I needed pads at one point according to the key read, not even close to needing them, I was nearly 20,000 miles from having to change them.

The whole reading the key and doing what it says, its a racket.

Very easy job to do, even tool not expensive to buy. If I recall the pad wear sensor is quite long so need to thread through arch area and attachment is under plastic under tray . Not difficult I just took out fixings in arch area and can reach through acces panel to connect. Reset by using internet tutorial typical BMW ripoff pricing

The amusing part about this is that they are telling you that the pads and wear sensors need replacing before the sensors actually say that the pads are too low. When my 3 series goes in for a service they love to tell me how many miles the key thinks are left before the pads are due. I always reply that I'll do them once either the wear sensors trip or I can feel any lack of bite in the pedal. It isn't as if we are talking about track use here... :dont know:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back