Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hello - can you tell me anything about exhausts & shoc

jackster27

Newbie from Somerset.
1990 964 C4, LHD. My recent service threw up a blowy exhaust near silencer and near CAT. And, leaky rear n/s shock absorber and rusty rear springs. I'd like to quietly fit a more sportier sounding exhaust, though within MoT and legal limits and fit a decent set of shocks and springs, a little lower would be good, but again not too lairy. Any advice/suggestions very gratefully received. Thanks. J.

Re: Hello - can you tell me anything about exhausts &

jackster27 said:
Newbie from Somerset.
1990 964 C4, LHD. My recent service threw up a blowy exhaust near silencer and near CAT. And, leaky rear n/s shock absorber and rusty rear springs. I'd like to quietly fit a more sportier sounding exhaust, though within MoT and legal limits and fit a decent set of shocks and springs, a little lower would be good, but again not too lairy. Any advice/suggestions very gratefully received. Thanks. J.

Welcome to 911uk.

I have moved this into the 964 forum, you may receive a wider response from a greater number of 964 owners. :thumb:

Hi Jack , welcome , i have a standard set up but removed my secondary muffler using a short bypass pipe also ive drilled holes in the air filter housing ( popular mod) and have a cat by pass , the car sounds quite like the one in the link from Phil above.
I have RUF suspension on mine which i like , Bilstein and KWs are both a popular replacement but im sure someone will be along soon with more detailed info than i could give you.

When my 964 needed new shock absorbers I opted for standard Porsche units but fitted with lowered springs , set up by Mick Johnson who races 911s, it handled like a dream without the harshness of lots of after market shock absorbers, I only had it road use so suited me fine.

I have kw v3's (also on 18" wheels), I would not describe it as harsh at all - firmly damped yes, crashy/harsh no. modern tyres on 18"'s imho remove much of the ride problems people talk about on the bigger rims.

opinions seem to vary so much on what 'ride' a suspension setup will produce that I would suggest you attempt to try a few cars and work out what you are after

HI
I have Bilstein B6's and H&R progressive springs on mine and it's fab - a bit firmer than standard and very comfortable - could almost be factory in ride quality. a good geo set up is also recommended. had mine done at 9M

Mine is an '89 and has the cat gutted which makes the sound a little bit deeper :thumb:

Fab cars - enjoy! :bandit:

KW V3 was my choice great for touring and tracking :thumb:

Plenty of exhaust parts on ebay ,I have a de-cat pipe circa £60 then the main silencer and back box ,I did have a G-pipe but found it to intrusive and got rid

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back