Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Project - When one thing leads to another!

Hi Steve, I've got a workshop manual on cd, when i remember I'll dig it out and put in on our new laptop, thats if I can get my wife to show me how to turn it on :eek:

Can't for the life of me get the blower pipe to stay cliped into the rubber on top of the fan housing?

It just won't stay cliped in around the back :frustrated: anyone got any ideas? I've tried unbolting the housing from the fan but it comes out again when I bolt it back up!

Ian

igaffz said:
Can't for the life of me get the blower pipe to stay cliped into the rubber on top of the fan housing?

Ian

Are you sure the fan is in the correct position? There is a boss on the fan that sits through a hole in the plated bracket behind (the one that mounts the flywheel and knock sensor connectors). I have had my fan bolts in but not the boss in the hole and hence the fan sits slightly forward? Also, check if the rubber has any small splits around the folded edge, I had to replace mine for that very reason.

Steve

Carefully does it, but work the seal around using a flat blade screwdriver so that the blower pipe sits inside the fan housing section.

Chris

Might be worth checking it is a 964 fan not 993, they are sometimes used as a replacement and the bolt fixings are longer and should have been trimmed down. maybe they are not quite trimmed enough?

Cheers lads, with the dark nights and a very wet weekend I haven't been able to look at the car, hopefully I'll be able to sort it this weekend. It was ok befor I removed the engine so it can't be anything to complicated.

I ordered a new resistor from type 911 but got an email off them saying the order hadn't gone through (the web site went a bit funny when I ordered it) any way it was much cheaper from Porsche!

The spade end connector gas snapped off, I tried to solder it back in but the solder wouldn't stick to the metal?

Anyway it's not expensive so I should have it replaced by the weekend. I damaged the rear bumper when I drove off the trailer so I dropped the replacement centre section and two corners off at the body shop today, cheers Chris :thumbs:

Ian

No worries bud :)

I hope you're dog has finished sorting that basket of washing? :puh:

Chris

Hey Ian, (and Chris, Thomas et al),
I mustn't have looked on this site for about a year or more!
Sorry to read of your box issues. Looks like you've got it all under control though.
Car still looks great and is worth every bit of the effort. Good luck getting it back together etc. :thumbs:

Hi Marky, how's things? You still without a sports car?

Yes still sports car-less unfortunately but houses and home stuff come first. Got the driveway, gardens and garage doors to do this year then I can have a life again.
Hopefully be back in a 911 again by next summer for my 40th. Or if a straight cheap car comes up, maybe sooner.

Anyway top spannering as ever! Just noticed a 928 thread by you so I'll go and have a read. You're a glutton for punishment. ;)

Enjoy the car once it's back on the road. I'll hopefully make it out on a run when/if I get back into something decent.

Quick update, after driving the car into the garage with out any drama a week later when I went to start her she was as dead as a door nail! Me and my brother traced the cause to the starter motor. We removed the starter last weekend and I dropped it off at heaton auto electrics for testing and repair. They fitted a new selanoid for a grand total of £15! Refitted the starter today with my brothers help and she started instantly!

Recycled and ready to start the beast for another 20 years!

Word of warning, I don't know if the manual starters are easier to fit but the tiptronic ones are a total nightmare with access close to zero! It was easier to take the engine out lol.

removed the starter last weekend and I dropped it off at heaton auto electrics for testing and repair. They fitted a new selanoid for a grand total of £15! Refitted the starter today with my brothers help and she started instantly!

Woohoo! Nice fix Ian, it's a lot cheaper than mine. In fact the Concorde programme was cheaper than mine. :roll:

Cheers,
Paul

Ha ha, I might have a car on the road soon at this rate!

Not much left to replace on that car now Ian. It's getting like 'Trigger's Broom' :grin:

Another job well done bud :thumbs:

Quick up date, after putting the engine and box back in I haven't use the car as I needed to fit the under trays and rear bumper. I've managed to get them fitted now, just need to stick the plate on after the bumpers been machine polished.

Anyway I've got a nice easy puzzle for you guys to fix! I've got no blowers in the cabin? I thought I must have put the resistor wires on the wrong way round so I changed them and I had blowers till I moved the knob then they went off again! The fuse in the front is ok?

This happend befor after an Indy did a service, i took the car back to him and he said he'd forgotten to connect something and he fixed it easy but I can't remember what he did?
What am I not seeing??

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back