Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC extending warranty terms - means rethink??

My car just gone to OPC - Steering bolt has come off and needs new belt too.

Been at OPC since last Friday, ready to collect tomorrow morning.

Been given a BMW 330 in the meantime - and OPC looking after everything.

Chap reckons its about £500 worth of work all in, and of course cost of courtesy car...

Yes, could be cheaper if I didn't have warranty and went to indie workshop - but this has been very easy for me - minimum amount of hassle...

And thats a big part of getting a warranty...

Will renew mine in April.

^^^^

6 days for a belt and a bolt - they are seriously having a laugh at your warranty's expense.

If you are happy to bail money out for this kind of thing in the name of convenience then good luck to you.

Chris_in_the_UK said:
^^^^

6 days for a belt and a bolt - they are seriously having a laugh at your warranty's expense.

If you are happy to bail money out for this kind of thing in the name of convenience then good luck to you.

Car was dropped to them Friday lunchtime ish - they had a look at it on Monday morning, and ordered parts. Parts arrived Tuesday pm, they worked on it today (Wednesday) and was ready to pick up tonight, but I couldn't collect it - so am getting it tomorrow.. Thursday.

I see nothing wrong with this....

Alternatively, If I don't have a warranty - have to get it to a good garage - they then need to look at it, order parts and fit - probably similar timeframes...

Meanwhile - I need to sort a hire car.... and lots of phone calls etc...

So yes, in the name of convenience .... Like having a cleaner, or gardener, or cook, or paying someone to do something for you that you can't do, or can't be bothered to do....

Each to their own.

Disco said:
To me, the main reason for anyone to go the warranty route is to essentially turn variable ownership costs into fixed ones. Which is fine, but you have to accept that Insurance companies don't run at a loss so the longer term you plan to own, the more sense it makes to bank the money instead of extend the warranty.

It takes all sorts to make a world. eg. Some people choose to pay a hefty extra % of their cars worth by buying them on finance. I've never understood why anyone would pay that much extra to buy a depreciating asset.

I chose to pay 2.5% of my cars value on a belt & braces warranty accepting that it might end up being £1100 wasted but happy to do so for the peace of mind I knew it would give.

As it turns out in parts alone I'm about £10k up on the deal this year.

I could 'bank' that and not bother renewing next week but will actually be using £1250 (111 point check + renewal) of it for another years peace of mind. If I don't need anything done I'm still £££'s up overall.

NB: It helps that I've got a degree in 'man-maths' which enables me to calculate that the warranty cost equates to 21p per mile for me i.e a lot less per mile than I spend on petrol. :grin:

My wife is an underwriter which perhaps goes someway to explain my need for a comfort blanket warranty.

My personal experiences are as follows. I owned a 2005 997 4S which I (naively) purchased from a prestige dealer rather than OPC or indy. I was, like all novices, attracted by the price and the excitement of owning my first 911. The car although great was never quite right. Although I had a warranty with the dealer they often just fudged things, once even saying that all 911's drip oil!!!!! Before I could think about changing the car, fate stepped in and some a$$hole nicked it. I lucked out, Insurance paid 1k less than I paid for the car 2 years previous.

So i needed a new car, wanted to stay in the 911 game and upgraded to my current car a 2007 Turbo. This came with 6 months OPC warranty. I got a 111 point check done before purchase and the car was confirmed perfect aside a turbo issue. Can't remember exactly what, but it cost £4.5k to replace and was covered under warranty. Last year I had a few bits done during service that was also covered (around £1.5k).

Really interesting hearing everyone's thoughts - I must admit I'd never contemplated not having a warranty. My 2.5 years of ownership has cost me about 2.5k in warranty for 6k's worth of work. Admittedly (and going by the really useful posts in this thread) this 6k of work could've been completed cheaper at an indy. However, I am really lazy and the piece of mind the warranty gives me helps me sleep at night (isn't a Turbo engine about 25k if it goes bang?). I've also got 3 young kids and we cannot be without one of our cars for a longer than a day. The OPC has put in me nice little Caymans and Boxsters whenever they've had the car which is always a nice bonus.

I will have a serious think in the summer when my warranty expires - so thanks for the advice.

Back on topic - will the fact that you can now put a warranty on an older Porsches help to slow down depreciation? Surely it can only make them more desirable \ with less risk (ok - aside you non-warranty guys!)??

My take from my point of view which is an owner of my first Porsche, 2007 997 C2S Cabrio.

A little bit of history, is that my previous car was a Honda S2000, which never ever had anything wrong with it apart from 2 well known issues which occur at some point and 1 is simple and costs almost nothing and the other was done under warranty. I think the reaction a while back of the dealer when I drove into them unable to raise the passenger window. The response was a look of disbelief that something had gone wrong. They came outside, someone pressed the child lock switch, and oh dear the window works and I get slightly embarassed. Point is, I am used to a car which does not ever go wrong and was very cheap to run with an expensive service being £225.

So, come to a 911 and having read the (over hyped I think) horror stories the car I brought had 3 months left of OPC warranty. I extended it, it is simply the peace of mind and ease of use if something is wrong (two things so far, amplidier being replaced soon and the coil packs have been done) that they come and get it, take it in, fix it, give it back, lovely.

Lets face it, if you have a 911, you are doing pretty well in life and sure some people, like me, run a business or have a hectic work life and the value of my time way exceeds any extra I give Porsche or whoever to have an OPC warranty over using an Indy, organising it, working out whats wrong, and so on which I would have to do without it.

Hopefully when I sell it it will make it worth a bit more and/or make it easier to sell, so I am happy to spend £1000 a year odd on the warranty.

As for prices, I think prices are linked to whats happening in the classic car market. My car is probably worth £32k to £35k at the moment, up to £5 more than I paid for it. You only have to look at the prices for some classic or rare 911's to see the classic car market is completely insane at the moment. A good example is a few years ago you could buy RHD Jacuar XK220's for £75k. Now, they are £350k. That effect is what is driving prices of any car which is or is heading to be a classic, and I think a 997 is a classic already. it looks great, drives well, and is affordable which makes it sought after driving prices higher, not lower. Ferrari 355's are another example, I almost brought one 5 years ago as you get a nice F355 spider for £35k, not they are £90k!

So, prices will be follow the classic car market, which is apparently slowing but seems to still be slightly growing.........

Very interesting thread with some sound thinking. I mulled the same issue in the approach to my OPC warranty expiring couple of weeks ago, which was already on the car when I bought it. A few things have been fixed with no hassle, competently and conveniently by an OPC, so I can attest to how solid that option is.

On the other hand, I have a great relationship with an Indie who I trust to look after the car just as well, maybe better, but with lower cost/bells and whistles. Also, I didn't fancy to coughing up the £2k/2yrs in an upfront lump, so decided to not renew and not have a warranty.

I got cold feet, the warranty repairs had been worth £2-3k last year and should something big go pop like the PDK, I'd regret it. I went with Warranty Direct having spent time with them to tailor the cover, agree the price and check again on what they're like to deal with on claims. Im paying for the (lower) premium in 4 payments across the first year, I can get the car fixed where I like (including OPC) and, heavens forbid, put a Bosch battery in there!

I think it's worth exploring the options with an open mind as there's not a generic right or wrong answer. I often convince myself that my various insurances are over-rated/over-priced and that come renewal I'll get something more basic or not at all. When it comes to the crunch I can't do is as it would worry me and would therefore be the wrong decision :thumb:

MJA911 said:
Very interesting thread with some sound thinking. I mulled the same issue in the approach to my OPC warranty expiring couple of weeks ago, which was already on the car when I bought it. A few things have been fixed with no hassle, competently and conveniently by an OPC, so I can attest to how solid that option is.

On the other hand, I have a great relationship with an Indie who I trust to look after the car just as well, maybe better, but with lower cost/bells and whistles. Also, I didn't fancy to coughing up the £2k/2yrs in an upfront lump, so decided to not renew and not have a warranty.

I got cold feet, the warranty repairs had been worth £2-3k last year and should something big go pop like the PDK, I'd regret it. I went with Warranty Direct having spent time with them to tailor the cover, agree the price and check again on what they're like to deal with on claims. Im paying for the (lower) premium in 4 payments across the first year, I can get the car fixed where I like (including OPC) and, heavens forbid, put a Bosch battery in there!

I think it's worth exploring the options with an open mind as there's not a generic right or wrong answer. I often convince myself that my various insurances are over-rated/over-priced and that come renewal I'll get something more basic or not at all. When it comes to the crunch I can't do is as it would worry me and would therefore be the wrong decision :thumb:

How much and for long is the WD one? Lots of people are going to say "Warranty Direct, are you mad ?!?!?!??!?!?!?!" in a minute.

^^^^ ha, maybe. £1500 25 months + £70 inspection

My pal paid approx £950 for 13 months wd cover. Should a claim be necessary, he's thinking its a bonus if wd dont quibble the claim.

His rationale was ( and he does love a game of poker ) that a half decent warranty is better than no warranty :?:

his 911 was too old for opc extended warranty.

It would appear then that wd prices vs opc warranty prices are not significantly £££££ cheaper.

We all keep banging on about sleepless nights, me included. Could it be looked at like this... by those who do not dismiss the benefits of warranties in general...

no warranty = insomnia

wd warranty = 4hrs kip

opc extended warranty = 9hrs sleeping lke a baby.

:?:

I do acknowledge the frustrating restrictions of opc warranty like bosch batteries et al

Agreed Chris, similar to bookies, for some people they offer value.

My sleep pattern hasn't changed going WD and £1570 via 4 quarterly payments was sufficiently less for me compared to paying £2056 up front :sleepy:

wow i was expecting it to be much cheaper than that. Doesn't make sense to me, get a small bank loan and get the OPC one. Quick online check gives me £2200 ove a year at £210 a month, £2500 total, WD one hinges on how their claims are. Anyone actually claimed?

on the Bosch battery subject, the waranties were written before the law was changed. There is a thread discussing this recently, but Porsche cannot (and won't) reject claims on parts of the car which are not linked to a different battery. My OPC, first guy quoted the porsche line, second guy who actually knows what he is doing and doesn't go down the "computer says no" route said exactly this. Consumer law wins......

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back