Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Project - 'The Red Baron!'

Very nice Chief, very nice :thumb:

Have a great Xmas and new year on those wheels.

TJ :bye:

Thank you Joe, pleased you like them :thumb:
Happy Christmas pal.

I've just read through this entire thread. What a lovely build. Fantastic quality and attention to detail. Very well judged imho must be one of the nicest cars out there. Congratulations

Those wheels look bl00dy gorgous

Fantastic work all round, YEAHHHHHHH such dedication and detail, love it

Steve & FRP,
Thank you, I appreciate your comments fellas :thumb:

There has been a flurry of activity in the last few days on The Red Baron!
I will break it down into some smaller 'Bite sized' chunks over the weekend as there will be a lot of detail and some interesting findings....
So, Monday was spent with Chris at Center Gravity, this is the one I will go into in detail as and when I have complied all the photos and got the time line straight in my head :oops: Suffice it to say over 10 hours later The Baron emerged into the freezing cold, pitch black, ice covered roads to journey home....

In the mean time, the heater boxes are back with Turbo. The laser cutters have done a fine job in translating the CAD drawings. Now if i'd only had heat on Monday....travelling in -1.5 degreeeeeeeez :nooo:

So make of these what you will. They will make some sense when welded up and rivnutted I think, but here is what we have so far.....

So, although pretty much finished, it's clearly not, who was I kidding eh?
Must have been full of Christmas cheer I guess :puh:

So, more detail to come regarding the suspension set-up. I will hopefully show everything nice and clear to help peeps with their cars.

All the best for now...The Red Baron

So, to carry on from where I left off.......We left it that The Baron was at center Gravity with Chris. Very interesting day and a lot learned.
Firstly, Chris takes you out to see if he can identify any problems on a pre-determined route. This he knows like the back of his hand and has set amounts of time for the car to react. When it doesn't then he make a mental note. The Baron as I had discussed with him has had the front suspension pretty much thrown on, as I knew it was coming to him. The first thing Chris noticed was when reversing up the slope from the unit, the front end just bounced over the gutter. We spent a while just rocking back and forth over this to feel what was going on. It was determined that the front end was pretty much on the bumpstops! This Chris later confirmed by hanging off the anti roll bar and shaking his weight up and down. The only movement was in the tyre side wall. The gap from the arch to the top of the tyre didn't change!!! anyway I digress. The first thing is to check the condition of the shocks. This is done by driving onto a machine that puts each axle through it's paces by vibrating up and down at different frequencies.

You can see on the graph the detail of the shock through the test, with the end result as we expected 'All Good!'

Next the car was driven onto the ramp.

the wheels lined up on slip plates.

Next job was to remove the wheel centres.

With the car sat back down Chris attached the sensors for the alignment rig.

The car was then rolled back and forth for the overhead sensor array to see the wheels.

So now was 'Crunch Time' to see where the car was.....

Suffice it to say, things were not looking too cleaver :grin:

So fast forward a while and we were at the point of being able to measure the ride height.

So we got a measurement of 105mm, bearing in mind that RS height is 125mm, we were dragging our chin on the floor. This would explain why there was no travel on the front!
So as we were starting to zone in on some good settings, we went for corner weighing. Chris removes the slip plates and replaces the which scales.

You can see here the weight each corner is applying to the road along with the overall weight (full tank of fuel)

Small quarter turns on the coilover spring perches make huge differences to the corner weights.

The next few scans are of the final result.

So there you have it. Just a glimps into the world of suspension where Chris Franklin spends his day. As I left at gone 7.00p.m with frost and ice on the ground, I didn't feel confident in trying out the new set-up, however Chris and I drove around the test circuit again. The results were exactly as he said they should be earlier in the day. I'm looking forward to trying out the new set-up, which should be as the say "Bob on!"
There we have it, not as detailed as it should be, but gives you an idea of what is involved.
All the best everyone, and thanks for following....
The Red baron over and out, currrrrsh, over.........

Stunning attention to detail as always chief, looking forward to seeing what that ferret box thing is for?

Ian

Lol Chief, that screenshot of the geo of the Baron made me chuckle :sad:

A couple of degrees out and it looks like a clown car, my Boxster was the same :floor:

Chris and Pete are pure Porsche Gods , no really they are :worship:

The Baron will be set up just as you would want, I haven`t really figured how they do it, but they do :thumb:

My new 996.1 will be paying them a visit shortly :grin:

Tremendous thread read... im not sure how long I have to get through this or whether to read front to back or back to Front ...

]
P1020224_zpssqvom29v.jpg

Is Project Blue Book the partner in the garage area ?

look forward to that starting if it is ..

Terry

Fantastic stuff Chief, great insight! More like the Red Baron now than the Red Crab :grin:

Cheers,
Paul

I really envy people with the skills to do these sort of jobs on the cars themselves. Fantastic thread, I've booked myself onto a beginners mechanics course later this year at night school/college to try and garner some knowledge on these things.

Chief, great read and well done, I only the wheels look better without the entire caps.

Not too sure what happened there ?
Wheels look better without centre caps imo.

Strong work there Chief as always :) Thanks for the insight into Centre Gravity too.

Did you have to change the ride-height in the end, or did Chris and the guys work around how low the car was?

Chris

COG no good for you Chris they would want to raise your car up by a couple of feet :D

any pics of the final ride height Chief

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back