Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

£35k budget - 997 Gen 2 or Boxter 981?

Do you want or need the +2 seats? Do you want (or need!) a convertible?

Both superb sports cars - the 981 may however surprise you as to just how good it is...

Have you had the obligatory test drives yet? Show an OPC you're serious and you'll probably be able to drive them both back to back. :thumbs:

911 :thumb:

Huge amount of choice at that price point. Personally I'm not a big fan of convertibles so I would be looking at the 911 and the Cayman. In terms of the 911, you would also have the 996 Turbo at that price. I was looking for a 997 C2S until I tested the 996 Turbo which happened to be with the same dealer as the C2S and was the same price. It's a bit more old fashioned, but once I experienced the power my mind was made up! If 2 seats works for you then I'd also be looking at the Cayman R.

Good luck with your deliberations. Take your time and enjoy the decision process - it's half the fun of the buying process.

not many gen 2's at that price, had a Gen 1, engine got the scored bores so bit nervous.

+2 would be good but not essential, not fussed about convertible.

Love the latest cayman/boxter but then again 911s are awesome

had a test drive in a 996 turbo, great car but they're more than 35k these days from a dealer

daffodil said:
help - keep changing my mind!

Arrange test drives: then you will know. Both are excellent choices - the 911 is a bit more analogue and has already done more of its depreciating so you really ought to find a preference either way once you've had some seat time. If practicality matters: there isn't much in it unless you have some children small enough to fit in the rear seats of the 997.

Nice dilemma to have...

Ultimately it depends on what you want to use the car for, weekends, commuting, drives abroad...

Need to also decide manual or PDK...

From my experience, the 981 is a very accomplished car, perfectly balanced, so jump in and you can drive it down your favourite A/B Road almost immediately, it inspires confidence in your driving.

A 911 takes a bit longer to get used to the rear weight bias, but is even more satisfying when you do eventually learn how to drive it well...

As others have said, take both out on an extended test drive...

I replaced my Cayman with a 997.2. The Cayman was a fantastic car and I never had a bad experience with it in 4 years of ownership.

The 911 is 10 times better and I wouldn't want to drive anything else.

Stretch your budget if possible and go for the 997.2. You won't regret it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back