Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT-what?

Rohan, listen you Yoda ^^^, put your wallet down and step away from the internet...

:thumb:

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the appetite for these sort of cars out in the market is tiny to non-existent. Look at how long Ade's car was kicking around in the trade before he bought it at well under the asking price because the last dealer to take a punt on it had finally faced the fact that nobody else wanted it at £55K, despite the £80K that had been spent modifying it.

That's always the way when you modify a car: you will eventually arrive at your perfect car but then you need to find another "you" to move it on to. Better to mentally write it off as unsaleable before you start down that road, which is what I did. Fortunately, the GT3 is such a robust platform that as long as you can afford to maintain them, they just go on & on.

As I have said before, the trick is to never look at your car as a pile of £50 notes sitting in your garage...

I didn't actually say that I was thinking of doing it myself, the question was purely hypothetical 8)

NXI20 said:
Roro said:
Hmmm... Not sure if this has been covered anywhere already... But why isn't anyone buying up Cup cars and converting into road legal track cars. Why doesn't anyone seem to be doing this, are there technical reasons that make the cost prohibitive? (But even that's relative now, we're talking 997.2 RS's at +£150k, so a £50k Cup care wouldn't cost £100k to make usable on the road... Or would it...?)

Define "usable".

Have you ever been in a Cup car? It's incredibly noisy, even with a helmet on (no carpets or sound deadening at all), cold in the winter & boiling in summer (no heating or A/C). It has no handbrake. The suspension is incredibly stiff & as all race cars have a hard life, anything worth converting (ie. not shagged) would have a sequential 'box which needs a rebuild measured in 10s of hours. The engine develops very little power below 4K RPM & similarly needs frequent rebuilds. Added to which, the clutch is a bit binary so driving it in traffic becomes almost impossible. Added to which you'll need to carry a laptop to start it as you need to change maps on the Motec once it's warm. Cup cars are reckoned to cost about £1K per HOUR to run.

And once you've done all that, you'll arrive at a circuit on road tyres :floor:

I have yes, but it wasn't moving.... Or even switched on for that matter! Ok, so a little more to it than I thought then :grin:

NXI20 said:
... Dear Santa.... Please can I have a riviera blue 997 Cup car.... With lots of alcantara inside... :grin:

Yes you can: you start buy buying mine & then put it on a major diet & trim weight from everywhere you can. Eventually you will arrive at something like Ade's (keepitlit) 996 RS which is as close to a Cup car on the road as is practical. He trailers it to circuits

I meant 'the other' Saint Nicholas :floor:

Still think that 996 cup would be a relatively cheap fun track day car, no seq box so most of the other bits aint far off a road car as far as wear and tear. I know "cup" car parts are lifed etc but this one is so old now its no different to a road car, and a road car as a track car is the same issue. Granted you woild have to bear the trailer thing etc etc.

Roro said:
I didn't actually say that I was thinking of doing it myself, the question was purely hypothetical 8)

NXI20 said:
Roro said:
Hmmm... Not sure if this has been covered anywhere already... But why isn't anyone buying up Cup cars and converting into road legal track cars. Why doesn't anyone seem to be doing this, are there technical reasons that make the cost prohibitive? (But even that's relative now, we're talking 997.2 RS's at +£150k, so a £50k Cup care wouldn't cost £100k to make usable on the road... Or would it...?)

Define "usable".

Have you ever been in a Cup car? It's incredibly noisy, even with a helmet on (no carpets or sound deadening at all), cold in the winter & boiling in summer (no heating or A/C). It has no handbrake. The suspension is incredibly stiff & as all race cars have a hard life, anything worth converting (ie. not shagged) would have a sequential 'box which needs a rebuild measured in 10s of hours. The engine develops very little power below 4K RPM & similarly needs frequent rebuilds. Added to which, the clutch is a bit binary so driving it in traffic becomes almost impossible. Added to which you'll need to carry a laptop to start it as you need to change maps on the Motec once it's warm. Cup cars are reckoned to cost about £1K per HOUR to run.

And once you've done all that, you'll arrive at a circuit on road tyres :floor:

I have yes, but it wasn't moving.... Or even switched on for that matter! Ok, so a little more to it than I thought then :grin:

NXI20 said:
... Dear Santa.... Please can I have a riviera blue 997 Cup car.... With lots of alcantara inside... :grin:

Yes you can: you start buy buying mine & then put it on a major diet & trim weight from everywhere you can. Eventually you will arrive at something like Ade's (keepitlit) 996 RS which is as close to a Cup car on the road as is practical. He trailers it to circuits

I meant 'the other' Saint Nicholas :floor:

So after all this feedback and hard data, hopefully the idea of a 997 Cup car
has gone out the proverbial window. Hopefully you'll come out to play with
us on the Nordschliefe next year (In your present car !). :bye:

done the 997 Cup Car thing;
(as Nick Knows)

it's nothing like a road car really - and your estimates of costs are about right.

I'd stick with a road car.

I think the Nordschleife is out for sure, I'm with Classicline and they don't cover it. And I think I read somewhere one-off cover would be around £500 per day(?). A shame as I was starting to get into that track. I must have done maybe 20ish laps on those 3 trackdays i did there

Go with Manning & it's a more reasonable £250 per day plus you'll be covered for UK tracks free.

Like-for-like cover with Mannings was very expensive compared to Classicline when I renewed 2 months ago. The difference in annual premium for me was about £1000 - but I thought Mannings had completely stopped Nordschleife cover? Is £250 based on a recent renewal with their latest terms, or is the £250 based on your old policy with them (ie last years terms)?

Mannigs deal for GT3's is £250 per day if you value your car <100k, £500 if >100k, pretty arbitrary but its there if you want. Not TF, ATDO or similar organised only, 10% excess etc i have retired mine from the NS for the forseeable and having some fun sorting out my M3, probably end up costing more...but i now do have another fun car to drive 😎

Exactamente.

De ja vu all over the asphalt :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back