Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Checking the IMS bearing and removing the outer seal

arry said:
Sake. It's a hundred thousand mile lump not a clean room environment

:yes:

alex yates said:
arry said:

Granted it is an old 100K+ engine, but it should still be afforded the TLC of a younger engine when there is a paid mechanic working on it and Alex was dissing some of the practices of indies.

In Scotland now and will have skis clipped in for the next week or so, so this is my last word on it.

All the best,

Bluebird911 said:
alex yates said:
arry said:

Granted it is an old 100K+ engine, but it should still be afforded the TLC of a younger engine when there is a paid mechanic working on it and Alex was dissing some of the practices of indies.

In Scotland now and will have skis clipped in for the next week or so, so this is my last word on it.

All the best,

Along comes Mr Pants to cr@p all over an informative thread!.

Curious how you think anything is going to 'jump' into the bearing?

But seeing this is you last word then we will never know........

Bluebird911 said:
Alex was dissing some of the practices of indies.

I still will do when they charge people £40 to tell them there heated seat is faulty and they don't know why, after the customer asked them what was wrong with it, or another £40 to tell them they suspect there might be an issue with a top mount when the customer asks them to resolve something wrong with the suspension, or when they yank an IMS bearing out of someone's engine in situ only for the engine to go pop a few months later, or load themselves up with work doing jobs that require the'engine out' when it can clearly be done in a quarter of the time with the engine in place!

Experts? Experts in F-All if you ask me.

There's too many people in this world who 'talk the talk' but can't 'walk the walk' and then as soon as the doers do something productive, mouse potatos and keyboard preachers start 'reflecting' (another load of bollox) on the situation.

Just my opinion, but there you go :cap:

alex yates said:
kas750 said:
Interesting comments about some of the indies..I have blood running down my chin from biting my tonque. :thumbs:

Good progress on this BTW Alex. :thumb:

:floor: :thumb:

Sorry Ady, I feel like I've set you up here. :wack: :wink:

Not at all! :thumb:

:wink:

alex yates said:
Bluebird911 said:
Alex was dissing some of the practices of indies.

I still will do when they charge people £40 to tell them there heated seat is faulty and they don't know why, after the customer asked them what was wrong with it, or another £40 to tell them they suspect there might be an issue with a top mount when the customer asks them to resolve something wrong with the suspension, or when they yank an IMS bearing out of someone's engine in situ only for the engine to go pop a few months later, or load themselves up with work doing jobs that require the'engine out' when it can clearly be done in a quarter of the time with the engine in place!

Experts? Experts in F-All if you ask me.

There's too many people in this world who 'talk the talk' but can't 'walk the walk' and then as soon as the doers do something productive, mouse potatos and keyboard preachers start 'reflecting' (another load of bollox) on the situation.

Just my opinion, but there you go :cap:

Without specifics it's less opinion and more hot air. In my opinion.

New996buyer said:

You suffering from amnesia?

I have not been a member here that long but there seems to be some evidence of huge inconsistencies in service from OPC's and indies alike?

No point in recycling most of this TBH.

As an example - How does one/anybody give specifics?

State the dealer and why they thought they received crap/poor service? = the dealer will disagree and if they are a site sponsor here it will go down like a fart in a spacesuit.

Scan invoices and the re-state what the issue was and why they were crap? - see above.

For sure some of this is anecdotal/urban chat - but people often feel a need to share and the % of people just being critical is not huge, unless you know different.

Given lots do not get anyway near up close and personal with their car the trust issue is huge and so open to potential exploitation it is unreal! When you do get up close and personal and your mechanic/indie allows you to then the understanding is much better in my experience. I think this is the situation alex was referring to.

There are huge benefits in this community IMHO which should be embraced.

Merry Christmas.

Chris_in_the_UK said:
New996buyer said:

You suffering from amnesia?

I have not been a member here that long but there seems to be some evidence of huge inconsistencies in service from OPC's and indies alike?

No point in recycling most of this TBH.

As an example - How does one/anybody give specifics?

State the dealer and why they thought they received crap/poor service? = the dealer will disagree and if they are a site sponsor here it will go down like a fart in a spacesuit.

Scan invoices and the re-state what the issue was and why they were crap? - see above.

For sure some of this is anecdotal/urban chat - but people often feel a need to share and the % of people just being critical is not huge, unless you know different.

Given lots do not get anyway near up close and personal with their car the trust issue is huge and so open to potential exploitation it is unreal! When you do get up close and personal and your mechanic/indie allows you to then the understanding is much better in my experience. I think this is the situation alex was referring to.

There are huge benefits in this community IMHO which should be embraced.

Merry Christmas.

Crikey. Where to start with that?

Amnesia? Possibly. Though your and Alex' posts all blur into one so it might just be wilful dulling of recall.

Anyway some of your points I would agree with. Some I'm less convinced by. But I don't agree with Alex' ranting without naming names or offering evidence. That's just 'stirring' IMHO.

Presume your 'Merry Xmas' was sarcastic? If so right back at ya :thumbs:

Not sarcastic all?

I actually meant it.

As for Alex 'naming' - they were in the positive so i am not sure why you are questioning this in a negative way?

If your wish is that people should say OPC 'Y' or Indie 'Z' are crap for these reasons then you are deluded IMHO for reasons previously stated. How would you really assess your car for the work you have paid for and had done for correctness and appropriateness?. I do most of my own stuff and my indie knows this & they, and the MOT place they use, always comment (no I am not going to name them because this is not the principle being discussed).

Folks assume that Porsche ownership involves big bills and other people have to fix it - a'int so bro...

Chris_in_the_UK said:
Not sarcastic all?

I actually meant it.

As for Alex 'naming' - they were in the positive so i am not sure why you are questioning this in a negative way?

Re: the first. 'Right back at ya' therefore meant sincerely :thumb: :santa:

Re: the second. My concern with all of Alex' contribution on this thread is to over generalise regarding Indy's. As I've already stated I am also someone who relies on one. So I've a vested interest in making sure I've the best service.

Wasn't being 'negative' but wasn't agreeing with him :dont know:

You over generalised Paul when you stated 'some' being good are the exception.

I did not state that - you did!

some:
an unspecified amount or number of.
"I made some money running errands"
used to refer to someone or something that is unknown or unspecified.
"she married some newspaper magnate twice her age"

Back on track though (but not original topic). There's one thing about someone with a Technical mind (be it mechanic, engineer, etc.) - they can sniff out someone bullshitting they're of the same breed a Fookin' billion light years away!!

Off to bed now cos I don't want Santa missing my house. I've left him a line and a glass of the red stuff and some chep market wizz for his reindeers. Hopefully I'll get up in the morning to a short-shifter and some other possible Porsche related goodies.

Merry Christmas Y'all!! :santa:

alex yates said:
You over generalised Paul when you stated 'some' being good are the exception.

I did not state that - you did!

some:
an unspecified amount or number of.
"I made some money running errands"
used to refer to someone or something that is unknown or unspecified.
"she married some newspaper magnate twice her age"

Back on track though (but not original topic). There's one thing about someone with a Technical mind (be it mechanic, engineer, etc.) - they can sniff out someone bullshitting they're of the same breed a Fookin' billion light years away!!

Off to bed now cos I don't want Santa missing my house. I've left him a line and a glass of the red stuff and some chep market wizz for his reindeers. Hopefully I'll get up in the morning to a short-shifter and some other possible Porsche related goodies.

Merry Christmas Y'all!! :santa:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Alex - https://twitter.com/slynewsbreak/status/680152798017777664

Now, since he won't be needing it anymore, can I have his line please?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back