Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Belt snapped ?

KP964

Quick question , i was on the motorway when the alternator belt let go, ( the one on the right of the engine as you look at it ) , lost my lights but managed to get home , am i right in thinking that it may need a jump start in the morning and will it be ok to drive 25 miles to my indy :?: cheers

Keith

I only have one belt on there now !! the one attached to the cooling fan ??

Sorry to hear your problem our Keith. Is not the belt going to the right the air con one? Does it go onto the compressor? If so the one straight up is the alternator one which now might be slipping and dulling your lights....

You should have two belts mate, one drives the fan, one the alternator. Both should be in the centre of the engine. If it's to the right of the engine it will be the aircon belt? You got aircon Keith :dont know:

Just reread your post Keith, if you only have one belt from the fan it must be the alt belt, you might not make it to an Indy mate, if the battery loses to much charge you'll break down. I might have a spare old belt in the garage?

Let me know if you need any help :thumbs:

Ian

Thanks lads , it is the alternator belt and the air con belt i think as i only have one belt on there now , which is the one right against the cooling fan , i only found one belt broken up (normally there are three belts )
Could the air con belt have taken out the alt belt ? , if you can help Ian "thanks" , maybe you could advise me on whether or not to drive it , it did sound as though it was dying when i got back home.

All sorted , its away to the Doc's :thumb:

Shell be right as rain in no time :thumb: did you drive it?

No , the battery had drained completely Ian , as you thought , so i called the ambulance and she was whisked away with blue lights flashing . :cop: ... back on Friday :)

At least you made it home safe and sound Keith :)

These old girls worry us at times!

Chris

deutschland-dobson said:
At least you made it home safe and sound Keith :)

These old girls worry us at times!

Chris
Cheers Chris , its ready now so off to pick it up before withdrawal symptoms set in :thumb:

Same happened to me on my 993 this summer...

Glad it's sorted. Out of interest, what was the cause of yours? Mine was caused by a worn alternator, so not a cheap fix unfortunately. It wasn't picked up at the 24k service (when all the belts are changed) as there was no play evident, but I share the story just as a caution to check the cause and avoid it happening again. Hopefully yours is just age of the belt.

Outliar said:
Same happened to me on my 993 this summer...

Glad it's sorted. Out of interest, what was the cause of yours? Mine was caused by a worn alternator, so not a cheap fix unfortunately. It wasn't picked up at the 24k service (when all the belts are changed) as there was no play evident, but I share the story just as a caution to check the cause and avoid it happening again. Hopefully yours is just age of the belt.

Cheers
Its not nice when they go , with mine i could hear a a squeak so took it straight in to my indy , he just tightened the belt and that was that , so i thought ! , it went a week later , £20 to fit two new belts :thumb:

I lost two belts over two years....must have been something wrong like the alternator or bad belts as only did few thousand miles in between.

Anyway not got that worry anymore as she has gone via Adrian Crawford somewhere not known.

:mechanic:

If the pulley half's are pitted and worn then new belts will be chewed up very quickly.. it's always worth inspecting them rather than assuming the belts need tightening.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back