Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Recaro pole position? Advice please

jkeith

Hockenheim
Hi all,

My 1986 3.2 has blue Porsche script cloth seat covers. The drivers seat (lhd) has the inevitable signs of wear, not severe but sufficient for me to want to avoid any further deterioration.

Having previously owned a 968 club sport, I am considering putting a Recaro Pole Position seat on the drivers side only. That then leads me to some details.

1. I have read a thread on this site which makes a recommendation to buy via a specific supplier to gain a cheaper price - I can't find that thread!

2. My existing seats are the comfort seats and I have a spare set of black comfort seats (black script with leatherette sides). I would consider using a pair of second hand sports seats but am struggling with a colour that would work aesthetically.

3. I have seen other bucket seats that are similar to the Recaro Pole Position but would appreciate any advice on a recommended seat (Sparco, Cobra, Corbeau, etc.).

4. Is a good second hand Recaro Pole position seat as rare as a hens tooth?

Please offer any advice, all comments welcome.

Cheers, Keith :mechanic:

I'll try to help, but please don't take everything as gospel!

1) I belive Johnny Dangerous can help you out here.
2) is that a question? Re-trim in blue?
3) Again, JD's your man.
4) Certainly more expensive.....

I don't really buy into the it-must-be-Recaro meme at all, especially if you're only thinking of getting one seat.

Have you thought about just doing a re-trim?

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll PM JD.

Yes Phelix, that's the thread, cheers.

Plenty options for me to explore, I'll keep you posted on progress.

I'm more receptive to putting a pair of bucket seats in since I now have the luxury of a 944 turbo in the garage.

Cheers, Keith :mechanic:

jkeith said:
3. I have seen other bucket seats that are similar to the Recaro Pole Position but would appreciate any advice on a recommended seat (Sparco, Cobra, Corbeau, etc.).

When it comes to bucket seats the most important recommendation is to sit in them before you buy - the fit and comfort vary somewhat from seat to seat and person sitting in it to person.

The most universally comfortable bucket that I have encountered is the 996 GT3 one (original, not replicas as they don't have the same fit. This isn't the most helpful advice though as locating a pair for anything like sane money requires a lot of luck). The 997.2 folding bucket is close behind (but again - big money) and the Pole Positions are pretty versatile too, but in my experience most other seats can be decidedly hit and miss as to whether any given person finds them comfortable in anything beyond the short term. I know a couple of people who actually put in extra cushions or pillows for long haul drives to get their track cars to circuits...

If the installation will keep until the new year, get yourself to the Autosport Show in January. Manufacturers and retailers always have a wide selection of seats that you can try out for size and you can often haggle a bit of discount into a purchase. Seats are like shoes - they come in different sizes and fittings and what you really want is the one that fits you the best. It isn't just a question of the best price for a generic seat on the internet, but more than that: what might be a great seat for one person may not be the right choice at all for someone else. :thumb:

Disco said:
The most universally comfortable bucket that I have encountered is the 996 GT3 one (original, not replicas as they don't have the same fit.

Seconded - had one in my 993tt - great seat and amazingly comfortable even for a long distance run (700 miles).

Hi Colin,

Great advice thanks.

One local supplier (Revolution) has a wide stock across a number of leading manufacturers. I appreciate that sitting for a few minutes in a show room is dramatically different from driving for a few hours.

The decision will me made on the many variables affecting my judgement. Just like cycling shorts, driving seats are very much a personal choice item. Cost, comfort, colour, design, material, appearance and function all play their part.

I realise now that my request for advice is really a bit daft, particularly since my only experience is based on the Recaro Pole Position. I feel more confident now on taking a 'long list' and 'short list' approach before I decide.

Thanks again for your advice.

Keith

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back