Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 at williams motor co Cardiff

Moonshine

Just went to look at it to see if it was worth saving (carbon wrapped roof etc) as it only had 57k miles on it, looks like its done 157k and had an oil can cut in half underneath to catch the leaks.

Most of the car has been painted and some of its not the same colour, the bits that are the same colour are full of pin holes, and obvious evidence of where the filler has sunk. Painted areas badly masked to visible lines, overspray on window rubbers).

Calipers hand painted yellow by someone with a none too steady hand, all discs badly worn with a big lip on them, some sort of sticky backed fabric used to protect the area that the engine lid shuts onto as it's badly fitted and wobbly (probably due to the very heavy rear wing, ironically with a carbon wrapped wing).

Very sad state to see a relatively new low mileage car in.

Can't believe dealers present cars like this for sale, hope it saves someone a trip. Obviously all only my opinion.

33583b41.jpg

When I was in the market again for a 911 (996) in May/June I was utterly shocked by how some dealers presented cars...truely awful in some cases. Few of the lines I heard:

1. The service history isn't as important when cars get to this price range. (true up until a point - I'm still looking at a near £40K car so no excuse

2. Its not an £100K car anymore what do you expect? As he was handing me the books in a pile, which were covered in oil, from the boot while explaining away the oil leak on the showroom room from the IMS and the missing interior bits.

3. You didn't tell me it was an import over the phone? As I pointed out it wasn't a C16 car - ok probably wouldn't concern everyone but the 996 is not a rare car so no reason to settle for anything less than a UK spec one!

I looked at the Turbo I purchased first and knew it was a gem - FULL service history and presented in the correct manner, but it took the two other dogs I went to view to highlight further just how great it was!

I believe you just get the right vibe when you see the right car! :D
Lesson - pictures on a website tell you nothing :hand:

I didn't ring before going to view as I was only 20 miles away, I like to surprise! Dealers, maybe the oil can wouldn't have been their?

Just wouldn't like anyone from further to waste their time, it's a mess and nothing in the description would lead you to believe its anything but a nice car.

One thing that I didn't get into as I clearly wasn't going to buy it, was the ride height. It was on 19" turbo (copy) rims, the gap between the arches and the tyres was massive. Didn't look right to me but can't think what you could do to cause it, didn't look to see if it had adjustable suspension fitted.

0de87b69.jpg

The gear knob looks well worn for the miles too!

WHen i was looking at 911s i was always suspicious of cars with the aero kits or different bumpers fitted and it would be an ideal replacement if your car had been bumped.

Also has an 'S' badge on the back when it is obviously not! (and in the wrong place!)

Bonnet shut line at rear looks really wrong (looks like you could get a finger or screwdriver! in there), and front boot shutline with bumper looks wrong. Aftermarket aero kit? rather than OE??

Definitely looks like more than 57k miles, unless the driver has very sweaty hands and always kept one on the gear knob!

It's just a mess, either someone who knows nothing will buy it or it will be quietly moved on within the trade for a re-paint and surface with some degree of rectification work.

Storm996 said:
Thread resurrected to help anyone who searches for Williams AND Cardiff if they are thinking of buying. This place has been mentioned a few times on here and needs highlighting for potential newcomers.

Watchdog BBC1 26 Nov 2015

Williams and Co Cardiff
Rogue Traders
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06r03k9/watchdog-series-36-episode-7

Thanks for that. He should've sponsored himself for all that walking around the showroom :lol:

Nice guy!! what a toss4r

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back