Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Winter lay-up routine, night night

I put mine on an Optimate conditioner when it's laid up.
Better than a trickle charge as it monitors the condition too... If you believe the hype.
Either way, it seems to work & never suffered from a flat battery.

Go for a battery optimiser, I use one on my Ducati bike over winter and it does a great job despite the Italian electrickery

They claim to cycle the battery rather than just keep it full, whatever it's actually doing it does mean that come April the Bike starts

battery optimiser

Ive bought a CTEC which everyone seems to say is the best- does anyone know if there's any difference/benefit between wiring it into the battery or plugging into the cigarette lighter. ANd yes I have read the manual ;-)

Cheers

Re: battery optimiser

whammer said:
Ive bought a CTEC which everyone seems to say is the best- does anyone know if there's any difference/benefit between wiring it into the battery or plugging into the cigarette lighter. ANd yes I have read the manual ;-)

Cheers

No choice for me. The cig lighter wasn't permanent live.

Its dead easy to connect tot he battery via the quick release connector though.

If you're careful you can then push the luggage compartment fully shut once the cable is connected.

CTEK is a great buy :thumbs:

Chris

Got a Battery fighter on mine, nice bit of kit.

Hmmm, some OCD, with regards to car storage in some replies in my opinion, Personally I have no fancy battery charger, I just disconnect my battery and switch on my 10 quid charger every 8 weeks or so to top up the battery, I usually start the car maybe after 3 months or so and let it run to full operating temp, but that's probably OCD in my behalf, The most important thing is that your garage is dry and ventilated, other than that there's nothing you need to do, my 964 has lived like that for 9 years and always springs to life in March like it's only been left for a week.
Though make sure your brakes are dry when you leave it in garage for winter storage or they're likely to bind, there's a lot of ***** written regarding the subject ... Most of which is just that!!

battery

gents- I must sound so dumb on this issue- what I want is a device that trickle charges when needed - without needing to be connected to a power source- is there such a device? I park my car on the road ( i know, I know) so dont have the luxury of topping up via the mains? What Im envisioning is a device that senses the battery is getting low and gives it enough juice to allow me to turn her over- now Im guessing this can only be done if the unit has some kind of internal storage- Ive read about solar panel chargers however they have mixed reviews.

Any advice mucho appreciated!

Solar type look on Ebay, as above mixed views you are right.

I did try a few all poor, went for a Battery Fighter in the end.

You can now get a power pack, that fits in your glovebox about £75.

It will start the car when flat?

Ive just spoken to http://www.batterybrain.co.uk/productspage.php they have what im after- it basically senses the battery is losing voltage and cuts it off, you can then reconnect the battery either via a manual switch or external remote and off you go. Bit unsure about what it will do withy the alarm however he says that can be connected in too.

suggestions/thoughts/ideas!?

Often it's the Alarm/immobiliser which is the very culprit which is draining the battery in the first place.
It wouldn't be difficult to take the alarm feed straight from the battery which would bypass the cut off device you described but you will probably end up with a drained battery after a few weeks anyway due to the alarm

Re: this a solution

whammer said:
Finally - Im thinking of getting one of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-900-Start-Engine-Starter/dp/B004M3V8XY if I carry it around in the bonnet and give the battery a zap to get it turning over- it seems the most straighghtforward option, and I can always put the battery on charge once the panic is over.

Anyone got any others ideas ;-)
The charging device you're proposing is meant to start a car with a flat battery, the way I see it is is if you have no option but to leave your car on the road then either remove the battery or go out and start the car every so often, the output from your alternator will far outperform the charger you're suggesting, the alternator has an inbuilt voltage regulator which will give your battery much more of a quick charge than a small battery pack which is only designed to give a one off small charge which is enough to supplement the battery to give it enough power to start the car.
If you're battery is low your alternator will kick out somewhere around 13.4 volts by around 1500 rpm which will give out much more charge than the 12 volt battery pack. Don't waste your money, either remove the battery, or start the car every so often and get it charged much more effectively by the alternator, personally I'd remove the battery, unless you feel that you need the security of an alarm.

Re: this a solution

AVI_8 said:
whammer said:
Finally - Im thinking of getting one of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-900-Start-Engine-Starter/dp/B004M3V8XY if I carry it around in the bonnet and give the battery a zap to get it turning over- it seems the most straighghtforward option, and I can always put the battery on charge once the panic is over.

Anyone got any others ideas ;-)
The charging device you're proposing is meant to start a car with a flat battery, the way I see it is is if you have no option but to leave your car on the road then either remove the battery or go out and start the car every so often, the output from your alternator will far outperform the charger you're suggesting, the alternator has an inbuilt voltage regulator which will give your battery much more of a quick charge than a small battery pack which is only designed to give a one off small charge which is enough to supplement the battery to give it enough power to start the car.
If you're battery is low your alternator will kick out somewhere around 13.4 volts by around 1500 rpm which will give out much more charge than the 12 volt battery pack. Don't waste your money, either remove the battery, or start the car every so often and get it charged much more effectively by the alternator, personally I'd remove the battery, unless you feel that you need the security of an alarm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back