Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 4S or 997 4S??

It is a tough call, both are amazing cars and I'm sure nobody would disagree, and both can shift when you want to but lets face it the extra little bhp isn't anything worth worrying about really, as lets face it we could all just get a crazy bhp eve or scooby if all we wanted was 4wd and bhp!

When i got my 996 4s it was with the view to upgrade to a 997 at a later date, as i thought the 997 just looked better IMO.

Altho when my water pump went and i had a 997 courtesy car (c2) from the friday till the monday it completely changed my mind, the interior felt to much like a soul less audi!? maybe i have just grown to love the ford mondoe style interior of my 996 after all!

The other thing people do not understand is how driving a porsche makes you feel special, not in a "i am better than you" way, it just makes you feel good in a strange way, a lot more than my previous cars anyway! the 996 just is the right blend of modern and classic/old i think, and no amount of money could get me to sell or upgrade to any car!

The 997 was a lot like my previous SL55, was a seriously impressive bit of kit, but for me it was simply a tool and lacked the personality of the 996.

Oh and this is coming from a ex die hard 997 fan who was turned by the hips of the gorgeous 996 4s

:thumbs:

That is a great looking 2S!

:lol:

My unbiased vote based purely on vanity goes to the 996 4S.

Cards on the table, have driven neither but from a looks perspective the 996 4S slays and I agree the 997 series is kinda bland and Audi-like, apart from the much pricier 997 GTS and 997 gen2 4S. :mrgreen:

To the OP. Go for whichever one you like the most with the caveats already mentioned (full service history etc).

Me?

I went for the bland Audi lookalike. :?: :floor:

Attachments

• 2015_08_31_165648a_309.jpg
    2015_08_31_165648a_309.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 11,912
That is a great looking 2S.

:lol: :coat:

Of course styling is personal, but me me the 996 is the Porsche I'm trying to forget (along with the Panamera). 997.2 4S for me. Not biased at all of course....

Great responses, thanks everyone. Think it's what I had expected. I do struggle seeing the differences with the 997 4s styling against the 2s . The 996 4s does seem to echoe the old classics....

Think I need to drive the 996 and make sure it's a car that I enjoy (I traditionally like modern cars)

Great responses, thanks everyone. Think it's what I had expected. I do struggle seeing the differences with the 997 4s styling against the 2s . The 996 4s does seem to echoe the old classics....

Think I need to drive the 996 and make sure it's a car that I enjoy (I traditionally like modern cars)

Steve,

With regards to the 2S and 4S comments, whilst some may not be able to tell the difference looks wise, there IS a difference in drive. Plus, you may get some security and comfort in knowing its 4-wheel drive.

Good luck with whatever you buy, providing it's a 997!

Jim

Love the lobster wheels!

FRZ 911 said:
To the OP. Go for whichever one you like the most with the caveats already mentioned (full service history etc).

Me?

I went for the bland Audi lookalike. :?: :floor:

Like them both, 997 slightly more modern inside . Arguably less of a classic... But that surely is just taste at current time.
Pros & Cons :?:

Mine and my neighbours

DerbyJim said:
Bland?

image_zps0xrfrrxb.jpeg

Don't think so :hand:

I wholeheartedly agree DJ..... there are better adjectives to describe the 997 4S...bland is not one of them.....!

Terry

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back