Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My long overdue 964 project

So finally some progress as other than some general tinkering I've achieved nothing exciting since my last post (mainly base-lining some electrical bits that I seem to have been on the car since new e.g coils)

I have the car booked into a body shop mid-December for the cosmetic work but more importantly I came back from holiday to find that the postman had left a parcel, after about 4 months of waiting my suspension bits and bobs have arrived :D

I need to have a think about what ride height I want to run but more importantly I need to find someone local-ish to Newcastle that can sort the geo for me. I was thinking about Redline? Any suggestions? I really want to use Centre Gravity but I think its too much of trek on fresh suspension (although I could just ask them to fit the lot; but that would be to easy)

Gratuitous pic of my parcel of goodies below. I've already bought most of the minor parts from OPC but I'll do a check to see if its worth replacing other suspension bits whilst I'm on the job.

Suspension_goodies.jpg

Blimey Steve, this has been a long time coming :?
I hope you didn't pay express on the parcel?
Right, crack on and look smart about it :thumb:

Hi
We have just had exactly the same kit fitted to my GF's '89 C4 targa - also sourced from Gert. we had run it on H&R progressive springs and original shocks for a year and it was OK/acceptable - however, now that it has been fitted with/matched to the B6's and set to RS height and a full geo and corner weight, it is absolutely transformed :worship: The ride quality is firm, controlled and comfortable , the cornering is precise. it doesn't bump steer or fidget and yet changes direction brilliantly. IMHO, it's a fab set up for us which mainly road use: I doubt we will ever track the 964 so wouldn't be able to comment on that

Along with the 993 C4 gearbox, front diff, remap, etc etc etc the car is absolutely transformed - brilliant piece of kit

I'm sure you will be very pleased with it

:thumbs:

Hi all,

I thought I would take the opportunity to post a brief status update, thank you all for the inspiration and wish you all the best for 2016.

After the delay due to the time I spent tracking down my accelerometer problem (reported separately) I am finally starting to make a little progress.

Clockwise from top left:

- Off she goes to the body shop to keep Ian's 928 company.

- Various brackets ready for blasting and powder coating.

- New brackets ready for powder coating.

- Some repair parts for Garry to use as he wishes during the work on the body, only a small piece of the outer sill will be used; just bought it to get the pressed portion with the hole for mounting the plastic sill cover. The left rear light enclosure is starting to go so i've decided to have it replaced.

Collage_1.jpg

As soon as the car is back then I'll fit the new suspension, which is patiently waiting in the box, and then we will see what is next on the list.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve,

Great to see you up and running. How are your getting on with the brackets?

Cheers,
Paul

paul284pt said:
How are your getting on with the brackets?

Hi Paul. The hinges? I haven't touched the design in over a year as 2015 has been a bit crazy on the work front. I should have thought on as I have been bored rigid over Christmas, I could have had the design finished. One for 2016 now.

All the best.

On a separate subject, I plan to change the wheels to Fuchs soonish but I need to get my D90s refurbished as I plan to keep them (i'm one of the few who likes D90s ). Who thinks a gold finish would look good against the red?

Might look ok? I've got a set in gloss black if you want to try them and see what they look like?

Ian

igaffz said:
Might look ok? I've got a set in gloss black if you want to try them and see what they look like?

Ian

Cheers Ian, I'll have a think about that.

A question for those that have replaced your suspension with b6/H&R set up. I assume that I would be crazy not to replace the OEM top mounts (front and rear) at the same time as the dampers and springs. Seems like a no-brainer to me but thought I'd check.

Thanks

Steve

I found the rears were fine, and only the nearside front was bad, but it is up to you. Found the same on a friends 964, so it depends if you want to spend the cash :)

I thought I recognised that 964 when I was at Garry's before Xmas!

A few pics from the body shop. Most of the rot is on the nearside but Garry is doing a full sweep looking for blisters, anything found will be sorted.

The nearside rear bumper damper mount is shot so that is being replaced, as is the rear side rear light housing.

I have agreed with Garry that it will now be a glass out respray rather than localised painting.

Below - Rear damper mount, old and new

Repairs.jpg

Below - front wing. This rot is from a previous repair.

Repairs_2.jpg

Below - Rear light housing and forward of rear wheel arch.

Repairs_3.jpg

Wowzers, plenty of tin worm to deal there sunshine. Looks like she's in good hands though :thumb:
Keep up the good work Steve.

Chief said:
Wowzers, plenty of tin worm to deal there sunshine. Looks like she's in good hands though :thumb:
Keep up the good work Steve.

Cheers Chief. Thankfully, other than the damper mount, it's mostly cosmetic and not structural.

BY the way, your car popped up on Facebook the other day. I think Frank (Black Betty) posted it. It's looking rather splendid 👍

Hi Steve,
Just checked out the W90 owners, and indeed The Red Baron has made a Facebook appearance :grin:

Steve, just noticed that your body guy has taped the CAT outlet up. Not many would bother, so 'Good skills' to him :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back