Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil pipe replacement

MarkGolf

Sao Paulo
Morning guys,

I popped by where I store my 964 last night to find it had a big puddle of oil underneath. Upon a quick late night inspection, I noticed that the rusty oil pipe which goes into the engine block by cylinder 6 had developed a small hole which had been weeping oil. :roll:

Appears to be this pipe which seems to cost approx 75 quid.

G96420725711.jpg

Anyone got any advice on changing these? Just looks like I have to undo the jubilee clip on the rubber hose which joins it and the big nut where it enters the block while wrestling it around the heat exchanger.. Also, am I going to lose all the oil?

Cheers!

I would drain the engine, can't remember where the rubber hose goes to in the tank? If it's the bottom you'll need to drain the tank at the thermostat aswel. I've just removed this to remove the engine but I just pulled the rubber pipe off and left the metal bend connected to the engine. Can you get to the nut with the heat exchangers in place? It could be tricky. Try pirtek they might be able to make you one up?

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I am awaiting the replacement to turn up, was just easier to get off the 'net.

I will drain the engine, it's due a change so makes sense for the sake of what it costs. I think I can do it with the heat exchangers (I hope) but lets see.. I am hoping it is just a case of undoing the big nut and jubilee clip and pull out! :?:

Thanks for the link!!

I attempted to get the pipe off last night but had to give up as I didn't have the correct spanner or adjustable wrench. I managed to get a small amount of movement on the pipe nut using stilsons but they were just too chunky to carry on. Order the adjustable wrench you gave a link to so I will hold off until then. I still have the heat exchanger in place, I think I will be able to do the job with it in place..... I hope..

I just dumped the engine oil out in the end, a shame as it was still golden as only 400-500 miles but 2 years old so needed out!

I know you are supposed to drain the oil when hold but given that I can't run my engine due to this leaky pipe, I had to let it out cold so now I dont know how much remains in the system come refill time.. :?:

Replace the pipe, then start the the car check your level.

You will then, know how much is in the system still and what to add.

There is 12 litres in there all together, if you didn't drain at the thermostat? and no filter change then it is a bit of guesswork.
The best way is to see how much you drain out next time, and put that much back in. As there is a shed load in a 964 it doesn't seem to matter on start up if you are a litre or even 2 off the mark, obviously only idle the engine. but you can at least set it on the dipstick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back