Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

Great work, keeping an eye on this as the results should be excellent!

Who supplied the 200 cell cats?

:thumb:

All very interesting, is this to be a track only car? I understood that if you have removed airbags which were fitted as standard then that is an automatic MOT failure now. I guess you could just fit resistors so that the airbag warning light works correctly to fool the MOT tester, as I think it refers to 'obviously defective' systems, but no idea what the Insurance company would think about it.
There are exceptions for heavily modified cars, I had this on my Clio which has a full cage and a single bucket seat with full harness. This got through with no airbags on the heavily modified clause.

MC

Its amazing what weight can be saved , when you see how heavy they are , top work :thumbs:

MisterCorn said:
All very interesting, is this to be a track only car? I understood that if you have removed airbags which were fitted as standard then that is an automatic MOT failure now. I guess you could just fit resistors so that the airbag warning light works correctly to fool the MOT tester, as I think it refers to 'obviously defective' systems, but no idea what the Insurance company would think about it.
There are exceptions for heavily modified cars, I had this on my Clio which has a full cage and a single bucket seat with full harness. This got through with no airbags on the heavily modified clause.

MC

Hi MC, these questions have been answered in this thread (see previous page) but just to clarify:
Aim is for the car to be as useable as a stock car; rear seat and carpets retained etc Therefore no, not a track only :thumb: Airbag resistors have been fitted to prevent dash light. I will be leaving approx. 44kg of parts in the car that could be removed for a more track orientated car (all interior panels, rear seats and belts, front and mid carpets, mats...)
My best estimate is that I will remove 185kg and still retain a standard looking car. Total possible to remove is around 230kg.

Following with great interest. Excellent info so far. Thanks.

Many thanks for the kind words guys :thumb:

Ok a little update, I am basically pretty much finished with the removal of components now (will remove Air-con system and Engine bay insulation lining: around 14kg) when I buy the LWFW. So in total 57.8kg has been removed with around another 14kg to come (total ~72kg). The car still looks like it rolled off the Porsche assembly line :)
Here are the last few bits and pieces done:
Tried to remove the steering wheel airbag but basically it is not really worth the hassle for 1.2kg as you would then need to fabricate a mount for the central cover. I plan to replace with a CUP one which is around 1.6kg lighter (997GT3RS Steering wheel wouldn't work with 996 central cover).
Project%20Lightening%2043_zpsx8uh3bxo.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2044_zpsb6issaed.jpg

Stock battery was really heavy at 17.4kg, Head-unit is 1.6kg, 6CD changer 1.9kg, Amplifier 1.2 and floor mats 2.6kg. Front compartment now empty.

Project%20Lightening%2045_zpslgtzrg86.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2047_zpsv12xq6tp.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2048_zpsmk2abixi.jpg

From this point on it will be component replacement so it will start to get expensive. I predict around another 125kg will be removed by replacing parts and will come to around £14,000.

First post updated

You need a voltphreaks battery dude

JohnnyDangerous said:
You need a voltphreaks battery dude

That would be ideal but, if you are on a real budget, bung a 40 A/H battery in. That's what I have fitted to my turbo. All is fine and it save a lot of weight.

Any idea of prices and weights for the 2 recommended batteries guys?
Voltphreaks and the 40 A/H

The 996 3.4 is already quite light, a great power to weight ratio. I'd love to know where taking 200kgs and possibly getting an extra 20bhp out of the motor would land it in comparison to other cars. 200kgs is a hell of a lot of weight. The effect must be considerable and surely a real challenger to a stock GT3?

Indeed a great read. I'm on a similar mission with my M3.... But unfortunately this is a Porsche forum. The BM forums all discuss wheels and single mothers...

Anyway, i am up to about 175kg reduction now but the thing about airbags worried me a bit, whats the MOT thing with airbags?? I have removed the airbag controller box so no lights on the dash.

JohnnyDangerous said:
ELA said:
Any idea of prices and weights for the 2 recommended batteries guys?
Voltphreaks and the 40 A/H

I reckon you will get away with this one dude

https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/...log/product_info.php?cPath=1_5&products_id=81

I get a good discount which you are welcome to and you will never get starnded if it drops below 12v it turns off so you just press a button and have 12v to start the car with.

Many thanks for this JD, $900 tis pretty steep though; you able to manage an 80% discount :grin:
I have found an Odyssey PC680 for about £100. They weigh 7kg so would be over 10kg saved. The one you recommend would be another 5kg lighter again, but at a considerable price difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back