Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

Glass is surprisingly heavy and high up so worth looking at options there.
I love this kind of thing :)
I took 250kgs out of my 3 litre '79 SC and it accelerated like a rocket after that :)
I was being a bit more brutal though!!!!

Also don't forget to thin out any wiring loom and blank switches to removed ancillaries - all adds up !
What about all the plastics around the wheel arches? Don't know how much they protect vulnerable bits or just keep dirt out???

BenC said:
I took 250kgs out of my 3 litre '79 SC and it accelerated like a rocket after that :)

Also don't forget to thin out any wiring loom and blank switches to removed ancillaries - all adds up !
What about all the plastics around the wheel arches? Don't know how much they protect vulnerable bits or just keep dirt out???

I think wheel arch liners help reduce rust by stopping ***** getting throw up, however if your car rusts away it will definitely weigh less :grin:

Richie !!!!! You went completely the wrong way about removing your sound deadening LOL, you want to freeze it with some sort of plumbing spray and it chips out in great big lumps and doesnt leave that horrible mess on the floor. :hand:

Johnny, I'd get bored if I did everything the easy way :thumb:

Ok as recommended here somewhere I ordered the colour coded plug which arrived today:
Project%20Lightening%2017_zpsgcexygaq.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2018_zpsgnded8iq.jpg

Then made a start on the alcantara, real PITA getting this to follow all the contours and sit correctly but the rear section is now done :)
For info; this only weights 230gr / m2. One of the main objectives is to not dilute things on the usability front, hence all the trouble gone to fitting the Alcantara. If you ask me, it now has a better finish than the stock carpets: the Red leather against Anthracite Alcantara adds a nice balancing contrast, with the added bonus of considerable weight saving

Project%20Lightening%2019_zpssobnztxv.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2020_zpspp11zg5c.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2024_zps66x5pwbz.jpg

BenC said:

Sounds a beast and 250kg is an incredible achievement :thumb:
Glass is something I am defo considering. Probably polycarbonate/Lexan, my only concern is how to stop getting scratches.

I want everything I do here to be completely reversible though, so chasing every last gram from wiring looms etc isn't on the agenda. I will be keeping all the stock interior panels for instance as they are a perfect fit and not particularly heavy (All panels probably only about 7-8kg total) excluding speakers/airbags obviously.
Many thanks for your advice Ben :thumb:

Rear end now complete :)
I wanted to have access to the suspension top mount bolts so come up with a panel solution which is removable but also something which covers the looms and bolts...
First measured and cut out the panels from 4mm MDF then covered them in Alcantara:

Project%20Lightening%2022_zpsrnbym3rj.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2023_zpslonkemax.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2024_zpsokjugafm.jpg

Next up the centre section and voila finally done :)

Project%20Lightening%2025_zpsgioxhrmk.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2026_zpskr0zejnu.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2027_zpse7x9xvmb.jpg

About 11.5kg gone with just this rear section

nicely done :)
do you need the rear seats or could you carpet the lot?
how about removing the rear speakers etc?
is there a subwoofer in your car? how about ditch the sub and the rears and just fit better front speakers?
:)

I have calculated that by not chasing every gram and keeping an element of creature comforts 185kg can be removed.
By relative comfort I mean keeping all original interior panels, all four seats and no bare metal.
This 185kg is split 63kg removing components and 122kg by fitting lighter parts (this is a conservative estimate and could be more).

Another 20kg or so is possible by removing all interior panels/carpets/redundant wire looms... This however is not my intention as everything I do I want to be reversible with relative ease as it is still a family car.

Not everything I planned was possible as the central carpets (under the rear seats) have looms and sharp metal edges so alcantara is not possible. I came up with another solution though. Basically by cutting out all the foam it shaves off 2.6kg. It's quite a bit of work for 2.6kg but it has the added benefit of around 5cm of extra head room in the back and still looks completely standard:
Project%20Lightening%2029_zpsbk9odvle.jpg

Each seat is 23.7kg
centre console 2.4kg
carpet under rear seat 7.4kg (I have now lightened this to 4.8kg)
Project%20Lightening%2030_zpsqgtvzudn.jpg

This picture gives an idea of why you cannot simply lay Alcantara
Project%20Lightening%2031_zpspw6gvqna.jpg

So instead this is the foam that is removed:
Project%20Lightening%2033_zpsndgaum9w.jpg

Next up I removed the Passenger airbag, really surprised by how heavy this is at 3.3kg
Project%20Lightening%2036_zpsmcx6l3xt.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2037_zps6ffgsgif.jpg

Then fitted a 2.7ohm resister to prevent airbag warning light illumination
Project%20Lightening%2038_zpsq5cqfiqs.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2039_zpsyvea8qt2.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2040_zpso6utw8dr.jpg

Here is the airbag
Project%20Lightening%2041_zpswhnlbfih.jpg

And all rebuilt again :)
Project%20Lightening%2042_zpshc7uphya.jpg

So that's it for tonight; so far 42.2kg removed and the car still looks completely OE.

I'll make a weight table later so that others have a guide for future reference :thumb:

Excellent work on this. I love this kind of project and have been racking my brain trying to think of other things you can get rid of :)
Presume you've got rid of the spare wheel, if you have one?, in favour of a can of tyre weld etc

Brilliant! :thumbs:

Though does this count as 'What did you buy your 996 this week....?' or do I need to add a post script to that thread, (what did you remove...?) :? :grin:

New996buyer said:
Brilliant! :thumbs:

Though does this count as 'What did you buy your 996 this week....?' or do I need to add a post script to that thread, (what did you remove...?) :? :grin:
That thread should be banned :hand: every time I look at it I end up buying something :grin:

BenC said:
Excellent work on this. I love this kind of project and have been racking my brain trying to think of other things you can get rid of :)
Presume you've got rid of the spare wheel, if you have one?, in favour of a can of tyre weld etc

Certainly did Ben, about 5 years ago, the day after buying the car; I set my intentions out early :grin: I have gone over the whole car now and have worked out everything that can be removed and what should be bought to lighten existing parts. When I get a moment I will type up my notes here :thumb:

Eyup bud, hope all's well!

Just out of interest (being a 'family' car), why remove the passenger airbag?

If you're going down that route, might I suggest a lightweight steering wheel?

Might be popping over to the Ring on 23rd Oct (but just found out it's shut for racing, so undecided). I'll let you know! :thumb:

Jim1556 said:
Eyup bud, hope all's well!

Just out of interest (being a 'family' car), why remove the passenger airbag?

If you're going down that route, might I suggest a lightweight steering wheel?

Might be popping over to the Ring on 23rd Oct (but just found out it's shut for racing, so undecided). I'll let you know! :thumb:

Hi Jim, I'm removing all the airbags mate, just posting up pics as I go along so plan the Steering wheel airbag and 2x door airbags tomorrow.
Already have a plan in place for the steering wheel. Firstly I'll see how much weight is removed with the airbag (this may suffice), it not I have a stock 997GT3RS steering wheel to weigh or buy a CUP version. Either way I am firstly going down the 'what can be done for free' route before I start with buying titanium exhausts, Lexan windows... :thumb:

Please let me know when you are next over at the NBR :wink:

UPDATE:
Here is all the available data I have so far (I will update the first post as I go along):

Each car has different spec so not all will be the same as my car but for info mine is a 1998 C2 manual with Sunroof, PSE, upgraded Hifi 10 speaker, Rear wiper, sports seats and Turbo Look solid 18's.

Stock parts removed/lightened
Jack 1.3kg
Toolroll 0.8kg
Front Impact bar 3.1kg
Rear impact bar 3.8kg
Space saver wheel 11.3kg
Wiper motor assembly and insulation 2.2kg
2x rear carpets (behind rear seats) 6kg
Insulation behind Interior rear side lower panel 1.8kg per side = 3.6kg
Alpine speakers 0.6kg each x4 = 2.4kg
Door sub 1.8kg each = 3.6kg total
Carpet under rear seat lightened 2.6kg