Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

Seats prob save 40kg, Ti exhaust, Voltphreaks Li battery, no spare or tool kit, those are the biggies

I want a pretty stock look and have gone for free mods:
Beams, front and rear
Rear sub woofer and door speakers (all heavy)
Rear seats
All the boot crap
45 Amp/hr battery lying around, which is much lighter and works fine.

Perhaps 60kg lost, but it still feels heavy compared to my old C4 :nooo:

The rear exhaust on the turbo and NA are both very heavy. That's the next area to tackle.

Possibly a daft question: are the front and rear impact beams not rather important in the event of an impact??!

jinjaninja said:
Possibly a daft question: are the front and rear impact beams not rather important in the event of an impact??!

Dont crash

A few more bits and pieces done today. As I want to work out what level of compromise is acceptable I have decided to remove the insulation/sound-proofing/carpets in stages. Reason being I don't want to end up with some rattling tin can (race-car). So first I have removed the removable insulation behind the rear side panels and lower panel behind rear screen. Also removed the wiper motor as I have ordered a painted plug to fill the hole.
For info here are the weights I removed (Total today 11.8kg):
Wiper motor assembly (includes insulation behind rear panel): 2.2kg
The 2 carpets behind the rear seats: 6kg
Removable insulation behind rear side panels: 1.8kg per side (3.6kg total)

Whilst there I also weighed a few other components:
Rear side lower panel: 1.6kg
Rear wiper motor cover panel: 0.5kg
1x speaker: 0.6kg
Just to clarify here are pictures for reference:
Rear wiper motor cover (also insulation that I removed):
Project%20Lightening%201_zpsrbh1hr0r.jpg

Wiper motor removed
Project%20Lightening%202_zpsd4tjv6uh.jpg

So this little lot is 2.2kg
Project%20Lightening%203_zps3gfccxcd.jpg

2x rear carpets removed, 6.0kg for these; you can also see the 2x sound deadening sheets in this picture (not removed yet):
Project%20Lightening%204_zpspufqllhu.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2012_zpszkeugbym.jpg

Rear side panel insulation 1.8kg (I didn't remove the stuck on material behind the speaker)
Project%20Lightening%205_zpspnd1cles.jpg

Project%20Lightening%206_zps4huwgdcp.jpg

Project%20Lightening%207_zpsueyyzylc.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2011_zpsavbjiqhg.jpg

The rear side panel is 1.5kg and wiper motor cover 0.5kg:
Project%20Lightening%208_zpstgr0bfce.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2010_zpsqupmjyub.jpg

I aim to cover all the areas where carpets have been removed with lightweight alcantara. I refitted all the panels, so to all intents and purposes it still looks stock. I tested the Hifi at the current stage and there were no perceptible rattles etc. No test drive yet...

I know where there are some carbon side panels dude, weigh nothing !!!!! 8)

JohnnyDangerous said:
jinjaninja said:

Dont crash

Not really; they are light alloy so are really only there to prevent serious chassis/engine damage in a light collision. They will not absorb that much force to have any effect in terms of a life threatening crash.

ELA said:
JohnnyDangerous said:
jinjaninja said:

Dont crash

Not really; they are light alloy so are really only there to prevent serious chassis/engine damage in a light collision. They will not absorb that much force to have any effect in terms of a life threatening crash.

Exactly that I believe its to stop the bumpers deforming in a 5mph impact.

JohnnyDangerous said:
I know where there are some carbon side panels dude, weigh nothing !!!!! 8)

But cost a fortune :wink: For the likely 1kg max they may save per side I think there may be more cost effective parts to try before getting that serious.
First off I want to see what can be done for free.

After this then (in the following order):
LWFW
Carbon seats
Polycarbonate windows
Carbon roof
Light alloys
Light brakes
Lightweight battery

Do you have a sunroof? If not I would not bother with carbon roof, My mate has the panels will prob be cheap, I get a good discount with voltphreaks and on the GT carbon seats if you want it its yours.

You do realise that theres a GT3 for sale for £50k dont you on here

kingston said:

He already has a GT3 :wink:

JohnnyDangerous said:
kingston said:

He already has a GT3 :wink:

Kingston, as Johnny says; I already have an GT3, this project is solely for what can be achieved with the Carrera.

JD: My car does indeed have a sunroof hence me looking at the carbon roof option. I'd be very much interested in knowing what sort of prices all these bits are likely cost in the future :thumb:

Went for a test drive today and I was quite impressed with the harmonics. I would say only around 5-10% increase in road noise thus far. Based on this I decided to remove the rear sound deadening in the rear. Bit of a pain but a heat gun with plastic scraper does the job. All residue cleaned off with WD40. The 2 small patches came in at 0.8kg.

The real problem is that the surfaces are all undulating with bolts, grommets, channelled grooves... So to lay the alcantara is a bit of a PITA. I decided, as I want as OEM a look as possible, the best option would be to try and level off all the surfaces. So I have been filling in all the channels and removing grommets and re-contouring with Aviation 3M High Speed Tape, re-routing wiring looms... Real time consuming stuff and not helped with the limited space in the back. Anyway getting pretty close to laying the Alcantara now:
Project%20Lightening%2013_zpscgynkfas.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2014_zpsv7koq9gt.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2015_zps2q2weuxr.jpg

Project%20Lightening%2016_zpsgidcwcvh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back