Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Project - When one thing leads to another!

Chief, when the cars on the pit or on the ramp everything's super easy!
I haven't got space for a ramp at home so I'm going to have to dig a pit :eek:

Hi chaps, a little bit done over the last couple of days but nothing to get excited about!

I've wax oiled all the parts you can't get to with the engine and box fitted, it's good to know it all protected.
I decided the rear anti roll bar was looking a bit tatty with corrosion at the ends so I decided to give it some love.

I stripped it back to clean metal with a flapper disc in the grinder.

Then I etch primed it and started to spray it with smooth gloss black hammarite.

All done with 5 coats.

I'll see how hard wearing the finish is but it looks brand new!

As for the box, when it lost it's ATF it's pulled the seal out of the pump due to low pressure and burnt out the clutches, the box is made by ZF and everything will be replaced using original ZF clutches and seals.

I had a bit of a moment last week, I decided to finish fixing the car, flog it and buy a 996 turbo! I think I was just a bit down on the project and came to my senses :grin:

Ian

Keep the faith brother. When it's all back together you'll fall in love with it all over again.....I'm sure Gaz is missing us :?:

.....Turbo,.....what were you thinking :dont know:

Chief said:
Keep the faith brother. When it's all back together you'll fall in love with it all over again.....I'm sure Gaz is missing us :?:

.....Turbo,.....what were you thinking :dont know:

dont you worry mate I`m here keeping an eye on you boys 8) `

Whoo Ian tempted by a bit of Turbo eh :drive:

igaffz said:
I had a bit of a moment last week, I decided to finish fixing the car, flog it and buy a 996 turbo! I think I was just a bit down on the project and came to my senses :grin:

Ian

Have you seen the price of them now! They've jumped 10k in the last 12-18 months :( When I fancied a change they were top of my list. Think i've binned the idea now :nooo:

Chris

Nice one on auto trader for £27500, it's got 88,000 miles on though but I'm not arsed :dont know: anyway stop talking about it I'm keeping the 64 :thumbs:

Hi Ian,

Nice work! The only problem with Hammerite is that it's very hard and therefore susceptible to possible stone chips.

As much as I like Turbos I could never get away with fried egg headlights and the line of the 996. Stick with it, it will be one of the best around when you've finished :thumb:

Cheers,
Paul

Stick with it Ian, we all have wobbles every now and then. Mine has nearly gone a few times as it's barely used at the moment.

I need to get cracking to catch up with you guys. :dont know:

Hi Thomas, I'll love it again if I ever get the gearbox back! The company refurbing it are totally incapable of using a telephone :dont know: there communication skills leave a lot to desired :frustrated:

Hopefully we can have a run out befor the roads get covered in salt!

Ian

Hi Paul, how's it going? I was going to get it powder coated but I've got no money left :floor:

Ian

Hi Ian,

Me neither ha! I'm doing ok ta, but I'm miffed about my front sunroof seal which I wish I hadn't bothered doing, when it didn't really need touching. It seemed like a good thing to do at the time.

When I was away in France it rode up from it's set position and is now about to fall out completely, the adhesive OPC insisted on using was sh!te. Anyway she goes back in for the 3rd time to get this resolved, I'm supplying the adhesive this time :frustrated:

I still have some spare wheel nuts for you when I see you next, Fishburn on 3rd October maybe?

Cheers,
Paul

Hi chaps, right, my gearbox repair was supposed to take 5 days but it's now taken 3 weeks :sad: unfortunately it's going to take another week so I should have it back by next weekend. A snapped sump bolt has been repaired and the engineer working on the box is replacing everything front to back with new components. The box will be as new so it will be interesting to see how she drives? They are sticking by there quote for the work thank god, so hopefully I'll be refitting the box next weekend.

Paul, if I'm fitting the box next Saturday I won't make the show :frustrated:

Ian

Hi Ian,

I know exactly how you feel, I know all about delays. My experience is that if you have a time frame, treble it. We won't even think about budgets :grin:

Shame you can't make it next Saturday but there will be plenty of events in the future.

Cheers,
Paul

How do Ian, any update on the 'box? Fingers crossed they've kept you updated, but im not holding my breath :roll:

Chris

In anticipation of getting my long awaited gear box back I fitted the new insulation pad to the engine bay on Sunday, it was a bit tricky even with the engine out so god knows how people do it with the engine in?

New insulation fitted.

Hooray, picked the newly refurbished box up today!

Refurbished case with gaskets, refurbished torque converter and all internals checked and replaced as needed and all seals replaced including the pump.
It'll be interesting to see if there's any difference in performance?
Only downer is l can't get access to the lift and I'm buisy at work so I'm not sure when I'll get it fitted :frustrated:

I'll keep you guys posted
:bye:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back