Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A question about Performance Tyres? Ask the Michelin Expert!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many thanks for your response.. :thumb:

Hi Jamie,

Really enjoying this thread and thanks in advance of any help.

I'm running Pirelli P-Zero's on my 2003 C4S Cabriolet – I'll probably be looking to have to replace these in the New Year as I use my car as my daily drive.

I don't drive fast; I do a lot of motorway cruising at around 75-90. If I wanted a set of tyres that would give the most comfortable and quietest (road noise) ride, what would you recommend.

Thanks

Osh

kingston said:
Michelin Tyres said:
kingston said:
When are you releasing a new tyre for the 996 GT3. Had to go out the 'box' and went with PSS's in slightly to bigger size this time round.

What size rears are you looking for?? And I will give you a more detailed answer 8)

295/30/18.

Went up to 295/35/18 PSS, no real main issues apart from they can rub on some troughs

We still make (and are in agreement with Porsche) PilotSport PS2 "N" rated for the car in the OE size. Pilot Super Sport will continue in the size you have fitted. Until we get approval on the Pilot Sport 4 range for 911's we won't be able to change anything onto the new tyre on older models.

It's in hand.. testing is in progress as we speak, but that's where we are at present.. very much status quo..

Osh said:
Hi Jamie,

I'm running Pirelli P-Zero's on my 2003 C4S Cabriolet – I'll probably be looking to have to replace these in the New Year as I use my car as my daily drive.

I don't drive fast; I do a lot of motorway cruising at around 75-90. If I wanted a set of tyres that would give the most comfortable and quietest (road noise) ride, what would you recommend.

Thanks

Osh

Osh

If your car is on the following combination
235 35 19 87 (Y) Front
305 30 19 102 (Y) Rear

The "N" rated options are the OE tyre Pilot Sport PS2 which is a great road tyre, and if you were using the car on track we do have a Pilot Sport Cup2 in "N" rated as well

Currently (and it's been well discussed many's an hour..) we don't have the Pilot Super Sport available in N rated for 911 models. If fits, it works, but it's not "N" marked. So it's really only a decision you can make
It depends on where you are with warranty and Porsche..

Interesting that you mention Pilot Sport 4, is this soon to replace the PS2 as the N rated offering for some fitments?

Reason I ask is on the http://www.michelin.co.uk tyre finder by car, it comes back with "We're sorry – currently, no tyres match your search" :?:

PORSCHE 911 TYPE 997
911 CARRERA 4S CONVERTIBLE 3.8 L 385
2005 - 2012
235 / 35 R19 87 ZR(Y)
305 / 30 R19 102 ZR(Y)

MJA911 said:
Interesting that you mention Pilot Sport 4, is this soon to replace the PS2 as the N rated offering for some fitments?

Reason I ask is on the http://www.michelin.co.uk tyre finder by car, it comes back with "We're sorry – currently, no tyres match your search" :?:

PORSCHE 911 TYPE 997
911 CARRERA 4S CONVERTIBLE 3.8 L 385
2005 - 2012
235 / 35 R19 87 ZR(Y)
305 / 30 R19 102 ZR(Y)

Sadly, the website selector is good but not foolproof.. good job as that's why I'm here :D
We will continue PS2 "N" for a long time to come until we get a replacement "N" approved where we would be allowed to move this over. e.g. Pilot Sport PS2 to Pilot Sport 4...

So at present, I don't envisage PS2 "N" disappearing in the next 2 years even if we get Pilot Sport 4 approved this year

Do you have any pictures of the PS4?

What a great thread!

A couple of questions:
- How frequently does the N number change? I'm running PilotSport PS2 N4s on a C4; the rears are new and the fronts are probably 3/4 through their life. What's the likelihood of a C5 coming out when I need new fronts and me finding I have to replace two perfectly good rear tyres to keep all 4 matched (I understand that's important on a 4WD car).

- I understand the PilotSports are asymmetrical, so when I was looking at the wheels I'd taken off recently to put on my all weathers (early I know), I realised that the tread pattern runs differently (with respect to direction of travel) on the nearside vs offside. E.g. if the tread pattern was << on nearside for the tyre to do it's job optimally, you'd think it would need to be >> on the offside, yet when you put the two tyres next to each other, as they would be positioned on the car, they look like << <<, not >> >>. How can that be optimal for both tyres? (Does that make any sense? and sorry if that's a dumb question)

Michelin Tyres said:
Osh said:
Hi Jamie,

Thanks

Osh

Osh

If your car is on the following combination
235 35 19 87 (Y) Front
305 30 19 102 (Y) Rear

The "N" rated options are the OE tyre Pilot Sport PS2 which is a great road tyre, and if you were using the car on track we do have a Pilot Sport Cup2 in "N" rated as well

Currently (and it's been well discussed many's an hour..) we don't have the Pilot Super Sport available in N rated for 911 models. If fits, it works, but it's not "N" marked. So it's really only a decision you can make
It depends on where you are with warranty and Porsche..

Cheers Jamie - my car was out of warranty a looooong time ago. Thanks for the advise; will go down this route on next swap-out

Regards

kingston said:
Do you have any pictures of the PS4?

If you can tell me how to add a picture... IT Fail!! :pc:

GP41 said:
What a great thread!

A couple of questions:
- How frequently does the N number change? I'm running PilotSport PS2 N4s on a C4; the rears are new and the fronts are probably 3/4 through their life. What's the likelihood of a C5 coming out when I need new fronts and me finding I have to replace two perfectly good rear tyres to keep all 4 matched (I understand that's important on a 4WD car).

- I understand the PilotSports are asymmetrical, so when I was looking at the wheels I'd taken off recently to put on my all weathers (early I know), I realised that the tread pattern runs differently (with respect to direction of travel) on the nearside vs offside. E.g. if the tread pattern was << on nearside for the tyre to do it's job optimally, you'd think it would need to be >> on the offside, yet when you put the two tyres next to each other, as they would be positioned on the car, they look like << <<, not >> >>. How can that be optimal for both tyres? (Does that make any sense? and sorry if that's a dumb question)

Ok..

N Number..
It will not evolve with the Tyre pattern not changing .e.g. if you have a PS2 N3 as the correct fitment for your car, if a PS2 N4 comes out 99% chance it's for another car with the same size. Plus we sign long "commitment to supply" agreements with Porsche, so we will never stop making a tyre within that very long period. If we do we will offer a never tyre that will be homologated.

PS2 Pattern.. The assymetry means as you say it looks like its rotating against the direction of travel. This is normal. The dominant performance criteria is the outside/inside. the outer shoulders are larger to cope with the high lateral grip requirments. If you look at the arrows, their only purpose is clearing a small amount of water from the contact patch, hence their direction of travel isn't critical.
With winter tyres, directional is more important, with high performance summer tyres, that inside/outside design difference gives the tyre higher performance.. hope that's clear.. :D

So is N4 better than N3, or just newer?

Feeling buyers remorse now, as just went for some PS2 N3s for my '03 4S :(

Would it be possible to give a quick overview from a manufacturers perspective about the difference between an N rated tyre and a standard one? What are the differences? Are the differences always the same between N and standard tyres - or does it vary depending on the model / tyre manufacturer and tyre size?

Thanks! Great thread.

jerzybondov said:
Would it be possible to give a quick overview from a manufacturers perspective about the difference between an N rated tyre and a standard one? What are the differences? Are the differences always the same between N and standard tyres - or does it vary depending on the model / tyre manufacturer and tyre size?

Thanks! Great thread.

This was done in the original thread. The link is in the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back