Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 RS Steering wheel install

wozy

Sao Paulo
It was my birthday last week :)

So after coming back from the pub I did a Wozy special and ended up buying an unused 2nd hand RS steering wheel which should be arriving tomorrow. I've also ordered the airbag thingy.

Problem is, I've just done a quick google search and all the install info is from the States. The problem about most things Stateside is they seem to totally confuse the issue. :frustrated:

Is it a total ball ache to install or pretty simple? I keep reading about 964 finishing bits etc etc and messing around with wiring for the indicators to work!!!!!! :what:

Is it really that bad to install? Any simple basic instructions out there?

Anybody want to buy an RS steering wheel? :grin:

I looked into it and I believe you need to disable the entire airbag system (i.e. passenger as well).

Not sure quite how you go about doing that though - I didn't want to do that so bought a 996 3 spoke airbag unit instead.

I installed a Cup Steering Wheel in two hours including lunch.......Jackal is your friend, follow his guide and you'll manage it no problem.

You do need the 964 steering cowel to make it look correct!

http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/

olivers said:
I looked into it and I believe you need to disable the entire airbag system (i.e. passenger as well).

Not sure quite how you go about doing that though - I didn't want to do that so bought a 996 3 spoke airbag unit instead.

I've never done it on a 993 but usually when your fitting a none airbag steering wheel to replace an airbag one you just need to loop the circuit fitting a resister in line. The resister fools the airbag system into thinking an airbag is still in place so the rest of the system works (eg passenger) and you don't get warning lights for a faulty airbag. Usually 3 ohm resistor will suffice but I'm more used to BMW installs ;-)

Ps if it was a dual airbag system you would need to fit x2 resisters ie to the low and high speed circuits.

If you buy from Gert he supplies the resistor. imho the 968 CS wheel is much nicer but more expensive and mine came with an offset spacer so a bit more knee room.

Attachments

• 968_cs_132.jpg
    968_cs_132.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 7,309
Endoman said:
If you buy from Gert he supplies the resistor. imho the 968 CS wheel is much nicer but more expensive and mine came with an offset spacer so a bit more knee room.

Bit late it arrives tomorrow. :)

Also a lot cheaper. I paid £172.00 for the RS one. Just need a degree now in electrical engineering to be able to install it.

Anybody know what the 964 cowl bit, part no is?

As the Americans call it "Clam Shell" 2 parts:-
964 552 273 00 upper
964 552 275 00 lower

Variations depending on obc and cruise control apertures.
When I tried from OPC it was NLA but found one on ebay.
Autoatlanta had them but Douglas Valley might or Rose Passion.

They ain't cheap for 2 bits of plastic.

Endoman said:
As the Americans call it "Clam Shell" 2 parts:-
964 552 273 00 upper
964 552 275 00 lower

Variations depending on obc and cruise control apertures.
When I tried from OPC it was NLA but found one on ebay.
Autoatlanta had them but Douglas Valley might or Rose Passion.

They ain't cheap for 2 bits of plastic.

Mnay thanks for that. Does look like the complete jobby? Just a little unsure as it only specs the one part number :dont know:
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Porsche-911-964-Lenkstock-Verkleidung-964-552-275-00-/261925253422

Wind bag

Gents , you do not need the cowl, you can simply pain the column stalk silver frame which shows slightly with satin black paint. You would hardly notice it, however you do require the Pre airbag 964?horn contact bracket to fit to your existing column stalk to get the horn to work , because you have to remove the airbag spiral cable ( slip ring) and that normally carries the horn wiring. You then have to fit a 2.3 ohm approx resistor to the gold plated two pin connector block that used to connect to the spiral cable, and the other two pin connector adjacent to the airbag loom requires one wire removed or extended to the new horn pin protruding through the column stalk to the connector block. It sounds difficult , it's not really , and Ive seen a four ohm speaker voice coil used as a resistor!
Btw , the 993 rs wheel should also come with an offset hub raiser as standard it also brings the wheel closer to you and gives more room between the stalks and the wheel, useful when hamfistidly trying to regain control of the car!
Christian.....

Well steering wheel has arrived. It's absoluty immaculate and you tell it's never been used.
Ordered the 964 cowl which is still in fact available. Hopefully being installed in around a week or so. ...... I've decided to get someone else to do it, I'm keeping well away from it.
What this ofset boss business? It that the bit sticking out the back of the wheel? Does it look a bit like a bellows and around 100mm long or so? (Haven't got the wheel here to be accurate) because it does have that.

Hi Wozy,

Yes thats the bit sticking out of the wheel and 'should' fit a 993 (providing it is the correct boss)? Like Colt says you will also need the horn contact bracket P/n 964-652-104-00. Have a read through that link in my previous post...or send that on to whoever is fitting it....

Cheers,
Lig

When I replaced my RS wheel with the CS wheel it came with the boss and an offset adapter. It raises the wheel about 1/2" and brings it closer, gives a bit more knee room (from PorschApart now 9Apart)
Just fitted one to the 944 which also has the CS wheel found it on ebay listed as Momo offset adapter
Not exactly like the one in the piccy which is listed at pelican parts:-

Attachments

• jw_eccentric1_231.jpg
    jw_eccentric1_231.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 6,935
Endoman said:
When I replaced my RS wheel with the CS wheel it came with the boss and an offset adapter. It raises the wheel about 1/2" and brings it closer, gives a bit more knee room (from PorschApart now 9Apart)
Just fitted one to the 944 which also has the CS wheel found it on ebay listed as Momo offset adapter
Not exactly like the one in the piccy which is listed at pelican parts:-

Damn I don't have that bit. :(

Lig said:
Hi Wozy,

Yes thats the bit sticking out of the wheel and 'should' fit a 993 (providing it is the correct boss)? Like Colt says you will also need the horn contact bracket P/n 964-652-104-00. Have a read through that link in my previous post...or send that on to whoever is fitting it....

Cheers,
Lig

Cheers lig I think that's the part I bought for a fiver the other day. L shaped ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back