Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smell of fuel after driving - RESOLUTION

GP41

Nurburgring
Hi,

After taking my 997.2 C4 out for a drive, when I park up in the garage I'm convinced I can smell petrol.

These cars seem quite smelly anyway - started off thinking it was odd but after 9 months I'm starting to think there's something quite nice about the smell.

However, this is a new smell. I seem to remember reading a thread - that I now can't find - about a common problem with a component in the filler cap area that needs replacing to get rid of a smell of fuel after a drive - can anyone refresh my memory? Part number would be good??

If this is the problem, I seem to recall it was quite a quick and easy fix - if I did it myself, would I invalidate my warranty?

TIA

GP

The only threads I've found relate to 993 and 996 but the common issue seems to be that the seal on fuel tank filler cap deteriorates.

The cure is often a replacement filler cap which comes as a set. I bought one recently as the tether on mine had broken.

The part number is P.996.201.241.03 and the OPC price before any discounts is £8.52 + VAT

Thanks T8 I'll take a closer look next time. For less than a tenner it might be worth a try - other alternatives could be more worrying/expensive I guess! :nooo:

Hi T8,

I've just taken the car out and as soon as I came back I had a sniff around the fuel filler cap. Nothing. There was a definite smell of fuel in the garage though so I walked around the car and eventually narrowed down to the engine bay - far left as you look into it between the alternator and airbox. Quite a distinct smell of petrol if you get your nose in the right place.

Thoughts????

Thanks,
GP

That is where the fuel filter lives on a 996 turbo, not sure on your car. Run your finger under the fittings on the fuel filter and see if they are damp, or smell of petrol.

Hope this helps.

GP41 said:
Hi T8,

I've just taken the car out and as soon as I came back I had a sniff around the fuel filler cap. Nothing. There was a definite smell of fuel in the garage though so I walked around the car and eventually narrowed down to the engine bay - far left as you look into it between the alternator and airbox. Quite a distinct smell of petrol if you get your nose in the right place.

Thoughts????

Thanks,
GP

Sorry mate ......... :dont know: ....... I can put air, petrol, oil and water in my car. Anything more than that I rely on other people. :oops:

Yes, me too. I play with our other cars but not this one (yet!). I'll have another dig around over the weekend when I can take it out again and take a fresh look for anything around the fuel lines - when I got back to follow up DynoMike's suggestion any sign of fuel would have evaporated.

Looking like I'll be ending up at the OPC....

All turned out well in the end.

The pipe or pipes going into/out of the high pressure fuel pump were leaking. Fixed under warranty.

The connections in the vapour recovery system would have been another place to look - especially round the purge valve. They also found a problem with the drive belt that had been picked up in the pre-sale check but hadn't been fixed so that was a bonus (as well as being a bit worrying)!

The best bit was the 991 Targa 4 that I had forced upon me as a courtesy car :grin:. Great opportunity to compare 991 and 997. Similar in some ways and yet quite different in others. I loved the Targa, have always had a soft spot, and the new roof mechanism leaves you with a full rear view and good headroom in the back -the latter being useful if you make a habit of chauffeuring 7-year olds around. Engine note was an improvement, quite addictive (even with no evidence of PSE) and I'm sure enhanced by top down driving; Sport mode and the flappy paddles make a huge difference to the overall experience but with the former coming in at the best part of £1000 to upgrade - for what amounts to a few minutes connected to PIWIS and a couple of plastic buttons - I can't justify that right now. I may see if there are deals to be had around different OPCs.

I still prefer the neat footprint of the 997, which I was pleased about, I was nervous about coming back to it after something much newer and shinier, but I needn't have worried. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back