Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

D350 HUL Void? How to re-instate?

james.mckenzie

Hi all,

I have managed to chase down DVLA records of my 3.2 and found the original plate was D350 HUL. I would like to get hold of it again in an attempt to breing the car back to its delivery spec.

After ringint the DVLA I was told this plate is now void. What does that mean? Is there a way to have it re-instated?

Best,

James

As far as I'm aware, no. Now if you do a plate swap, and then transfer the private plate off then you get the original number back, Before the mid/late 90s they replaced it with a new number if you transferred the private plate off.

As nickd says if you remove a private plate from your car the car usually reverts back to the original plate.

It may be worth trying to contact someone in the DVLA team to understand why a plate would be 'void' and if they'd consider reinstating it to the original vehicle.

You could ask them to do that and make the plate non-transferable.

Always worth asking. If there's money in it for the DVLA they may reconsider.

I think the term void refers to the fact that the number plate has been held on retention and the period for renewal has expired?. If so, this effectively means that the plate should be available at some point?.

Chris_in_the_UK said:
I think the term void refers to the fact that the number plate has been held on retention and the period for renewal has expired?. If so, this effectively means that the plate should be available at some point?.

^^^ This. From the DVLA website:

"If the entitlement has expired and you don't extend it, the registration number will become void. If you are not going to assign the number to a vehicle, you can claim back the £80.00 assignment fee (which was included in the purchase price from May 1993) by filling in sections 5 and 6 on the Certificate of Entitlement (V750), and applying to DVLA.
You can also apply before the entitlement has expired, but please be aware that in doing so you will be giving up any right to the registration number and you will not be able to assign it to a vehicle.
See section F on the reverse of the Certificate of Entitlement (V750) for more details."

Yeah read that today. The person that did that was 3 owners and 20 years before me. A bit unfair if I want it as a legitimate registration. The previous owner of this plate binned it for a personalised reg. Boo

I wanted to do the same- put the original registration back on. I phoned DVLA and explained that I wanted to take the current private plate off but only if the original registration would then be assigned to the car. I was told on the phone that I'd have to write for confirmation. So I write to DVLA and explain that I want to take off the private plate but would they assign the original plate back to the car?
3 weeks later I get a letter back from DVLA along with an application form for taking my current plate off- the letter said ' we will give the car a plate suitable for its year or if available the original plate'
What a load of useless idiots at the DVLA.....they still can't or won't confirm if you will get the original plate despite phoning and writing- surely they can flipping confirm before you go to all the hassle of removing the current plate...

Would be a great plate to have, the plate 911 HUL is the plate porsche gb used to put on the cars for press shots so a kind of tie in?

A real pain sounds. At any rate ill ring tomorrow and start off nice, try to hold it together and then ....

Yes correct on the HUL comment. I believe the UL is central London specific and AFN Chelsea Motortune used to use it on their cars as I was told!

Shame there's no motoring enthusiasts at the DVLA to understand.

J

By coincidence, I discovered yesterday that a client of mine is still running her 944 which she bought new at Motortune with a DxxxHUL plate on it!

She said the car will last her out (which may not be too long, to be fair!).

This is message is brought to you with today's words "useless" and "post". :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back