Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Michelin Super Sports MPSS # 997 Tyre Thread (Input needed)

In most of the thorough tests, the MPss seems to be in the same top 4 grouping with the f1 as2, Conti 5 and Hankook evo2. More often than not, these tyres seem to be comfortable ahead of the rest. Once I've tracked down some rears I'll be able to see how they compare on price, but performance wise seems to be more or less as per the above.

Leaning toward the Conti 5 as it seems to beat all-comers most times (inc MPss) and is a good price, but will wait till I've confirmed MPss pricing.

Surprised at the Hankook and also didn't know they are spec'd on the Macan. But they are not much cheaper than Conti 5 or f1.

I tried about 2-3 weeks ago to get a set of MPSS's from Indy in East Sussex

He was told 10-12 weeks for delivery.

I then tried Tonbridge OPC who said they were a 24 hrs delivery, but when ordered them they couldn't be located.

It does seem that there is not many about and some computer stock lists are incorrect.

Its the rears that appear out of stock and there are very few front sets about.

I have gone back to Indy and hope to get them in June.

I hope they arrive soon :nooo:

Odd thread - the best tyre that you can put on a 997 is the Michelin Cup 2 (which unlike previous Cups does work well in the wet) and is available N rated anyway. The only reason not to choose it is longevity, but given that the OP asserts a degree of non-price-sensitivity..... :dont know:

I found this when searching

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 295/30 R18 94 Y Designed for vehicles with the highest performance for road and track use.

Product Benefits
* The reference on dry race tracks
* Fitted as original equipment on the Porsche 911, GT2 GT3 and BMW M3
* Homologated by Porsche on the 911 (997) GT3 / GT3 RS versions, and by BMW on the M3.

Built for circuit use, yet easy to drive on the open road MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup, the quickest tyre on a dry circuit and fully road legal Homologated by Porsche on the 911 (997) GT3 / GT3 RS versions, and by BMW on the M3.

Built for circuit use, yet easy to drive on the open road. Easy to drive in wet conditions: wet road holding close to Michelin's sports tyre range (Pilot Sport 2) which was rated amongst the best in German press tests in March 2006 (ADAC, Sport Auto).

The MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup tread pattern

Interior: - Wet grip oriented - Grooves and sipes designed for wet handling
Exterior: - Designed for dry grip - Extremely stable, Michelin Motorsport derived tread pattern Conditions of Use
Road use: - Use the car manufacturer's recommended tyre pressures.
Track use: Cold starting pressures, 26 psi (1.8 bar) front and rear. Then bring the tyres gradually up to temperature. To maximise grip aim for: - Hot pressures of 2.3 bar front and rear (contact Michelin for more information). - Tread compound temperature between 70° and 110°C for optimum performance.

For more information, contact Michelin.

Important: after track use, before leaving the circuit and once the tyres have cooled down, re-inflate your tyres to establish the car manufacturer's recommended tyre pressures.

Due to the reduced original tread depths and technical characteristics of these tyres, we advise drivers to take care and reduce speeds as necessary in wet conditions, especially in deep standing water or heavy rain. This applies to track and road use.

Disco said:
Odd thread - the best tyre that you can put on a 997 is the Michelin Cup 2 (which unlike previous Cups does work well in the wet) and is available N rated anyway. The only reason not to choose it is longevity, but given that the OP asserts a degree of non-price-sensitivity..... :dont know:

Not sure why the thread seems odd? Just wanting to assess the latest technology road tyres as sticking to n-rated seems to limit the choice and exclude most of the highest performance, latest tyres.

As I said in the OP, I won't be going on track and so want best performance on a variety of roads, in all weather conditions. Michelin state that cup 2 are for dry track use but, paraphrasing, you can get away with them in the wet if you slow down a lot. Risk of aqua planing etc.. Not what I'm after.

Did anyone track down MPss in 305/30? I still can't find any? Does anyone own some?

Zingari said:
Porsche News said:
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a no brainer

Had those but they were 8yrs old.....

Super Sports came out in 2011.

Pilot Sports came out a long time ago, maybe you're getting confused.

I have two spare 305/30/19 rears if you're stuck OP but I'm going to need them myself in a few months time. I'm willing to sell them to help you out but only at full price as that's what I would have to pay.

Been reading the thread with interest.

Going to give the following a go for my 57 C4S on 19's

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
235/35 R19 Y (91) £139.48 ea

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
295/30 R19 Y (100) £206.98 ea

I struggled to find the MSS on the black circles website, I used the chat and they said they were not available in that size!

C.

Martian said:
Zingari said:
Porsche News said:
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a no brainer

Had those but they were 8yrs old.....

Super Sports came out in 2011.

Pilot Sports came out a long time ago, maybe you're getting confused.

I have two spare 305/30/19 rears if you're stuck OP but I'm going to need them myself in a few months time. I'm willing to sell them to help you out but only at full price as that's what I would have to pay.

Thanks for the offer Martian, much appreciated. I still have a couple of months to shop around as I have 3 to 3.5mm on the rears so should be ok. Also, probably leaning towards Conti Sport Contact 5 after reading the reviews and tyre tests. V impressive, even head to head against MPSS. That said, Im assuming the MPSS are quite a bit more ££? What do MPSS cost in 305/19? Conti 5 are about £170ea from memory.

chrisbill86 said:
Been reading the thread with interest.

Going to give the following a go for my 57 C4S on 19's

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
235/35 R19 Y (91) £139.48 ea

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
295/30 R19 Y (100) £206.98 ea

I struggled to find the MSS on the black circles website, I used the chat and they said they were not available in that size!

C.

I assume you mean "Asymmetric 2" on the front, as per the rear? Its a much newer design/compound.

They do have v good reviews and seem to hold their own against the best of the rest in the tyre tests. Im leaning towards Conti 5s (similar price to F1s), but would be great to heard real-world-997 feedback from anyone who has used all/some of these as a comparison? Doubtful though as they are all fairly recent...

Tyre choice??

I recently purchased another new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2's, N2 rated. Only after I had purchased did I give some thought to 'other options'
It seems, I am so happy with the PS2's that I actually buy them 'blindly' without even taking into account alternatives :?:

I have to say in retrospect that this surprises and somewhat shocks me :eek: As I can't think of anything else in my entire life that the same could or would possibly happen.

Bearing in mind PS2's have been my default choice for my current Turbo, previous Turbo and M3 before that, spanning some 10 years!! I think I love the wet weather handling characteristics more than anything, but PS2's must be pretty old technology now.

Anyone done similar or 'seen the light' in regards to a more modern, better all round alternative??

Re: Tyre choice??

Lawsy911 said:
Anyone done similar or 'seen the light' in regards to a more modern, better all round alternative??
Yeah they're called the Pilot Super Sports ;)
If you can get them that is... :what:

Re: Tyre choice??

Shaoxter said:
Lawsy911 said:
Yeah they're called the Pilot Super Sports ;)
If you can get them that is... :what:

Totally agree, PS2 are good however Super Sport offer higher grip levels.

another vote for MPSS tyres. Phenomenal. Best tyre I've used.

mpss not n rated yet, no?

Update in case it's useful for recent pricing

2 x 235 35 19
2 x 305 30 19

£814 via Blackcircles. fitted locally (included in price)

Also qualified for approx £24 of Tesco club card vouchers :eh!:

Love having new tyres ... Big difference over the pzeros that were old and down to 3mm

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back