Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Turbo v GTS v Evora

DerbyJim

So, I've had the 997 for approx. 1.5 years and something in the region of 10-12k. Gotta say, the drive to south France through the twisties was the highlight. Can't really put that in words!

But, life is too short and work is going well so I'm looking for a bit of an upgrade.

My budget, depending on what I get for mine is likely just under the 50k mark (not that I specifically want / need to spend all of this!).

So what would you guys get? I've recently been hankering over a turbo, must be manual or PDK. Would my budget get me into a decent one? I'm not necessarily bothered about mileage as long as the condition is spot on.

I've also recently bought an Exige, for a DD no less! And the Evora is catching my attention more and more.

Anyone got first hand experience of a comparison?

Thanks in advance

Oh, forgot to add, presume a GTS won't be 'much' of an upgrade compared to mine...

No offence to GTS owners of course!

The 997 turbo is substantially quicker than the Evora, however it's down to personal choice.

In the current climate, you'll struggle to find a good gen 1 manual turbo for less than £50k. A decent gen 2 PDK turbo will set you back at least £65k

Not driven an Evora but the turbo is an amazing car, soo much different to the Carreras in terms of sound and performance. Like it has already been said, it really depends on what you are after. Drive both and see?

If you aren't bothered about mileage then you could get a good one for about 45K.

Is your current car a PDK? If not then the GTS in PDK format might be something to consider. They are fabulous looking cars and the engine has some more horses than the standard Carrera 2S (but I don't know what your car is). Add to that the PDK box and it's quite a car.

The Turbo is an awesome car, and it was my choice but I actually would have loved a GTS at the time but they were out of my price range.

I have a good friend with an Evora and he loves it to bits. I drove it a couple of months ago and have to confess they are fantastic cars. He lives about 45 miles from me and I am at one end of the A272 and he is approx 40 miles East, along said road. I took my 997.1 Turbo over for a blast (as you do) and we spent a couple of hours taking turns, swapping cars. He is now adamant he wants a Turbo. Whilst I felt the Evora connected to the road incredibly well with amazing feedback, the Turbo is in another league in so many ways. Build quality, class, dynamics, driver interaction and sheer grin factor grunt. Owning both Marques currently, i'm sure you can relate to what I am saying. Even in standard form, Turbo's are a complete blast and immensely addictive. THE BEST THING IS THO'..... If you buy one now and don't like it... sell it in 8 months time and WORST case, you'll get your money back, more probably make a profit!! But, that won't happen anyways...you won't want to sell it I assure you!! Try a sub 60K mileage 06/07 plate, with fsh, Sport Chrono and Factory short shift. GT Silver OR Cobalt Blue would be my choice. £45-50K should secure you a beauty :thumbs:

For £50k I doubt that you'll find a GTS or a PDK Turbo so your choice is probably between a manual 997.1T or an Evora.

A lot depends upon how you like your power delivery and how nimble you want the car to be.

The only way to know what will suit you best is to drive them both.

Good luck. :thumb:

Thanks guys, and Lawsy for the comparison.

Yeah, good shout on the test drive- it's just fitting in the time at the moment, currently trying to find a Lexus or 330d Beemer for the missus and a runabout for a friend at work...

Evora's tracking capability is excellent, something that I wouldn't consider doing with a Porsche (too heavy, and don't think I could afford the tyres and pads each time!)... Whilst the Exige fills that boat at the moment, my thoughts are to go down to the one car if I got the Evora.

On the other hand, I've not been without a Porsche marque on the drive for a long time now... It makes me smile everytime I see it (I don't get that feeling looking at the Lotus) and the sound, well apart from getting into Fezza territory, I'm yet to find a car that that makes me go whooooooaaaaa each time I floor it! :D

Erm, I'm talking myself into a turbo aren't I?!!

DerbyJim said:

Yeah, good shout on the test drive- it's just fitting in the time at the moment, currently trying to find a Lexus or 330d Beemer for the missus and a runabout for a friend at work...

Evora's tracking capability is excellent, something that I wouldn't consider doing with a Porsche (too heavy, and don't think I could afford the tyres and pads each time!)... Whilst the Exige fills that boat at the moment, my thoughts are to go down to the one car if I got the Evora.

On the other hand, I've not been without a Porsche marque on the drive for a long time now... It makes me smile everytime I see it (I don't get that feeling looking at the Lotus) and the sound, well apart from getting into Fezza territory, I'm yet to find a car that that makes me go whooooooaaaaa each time I floor it! :D

The only thing that I was disappointed about in my Turbo was the noise. You won't get anything like a NA flat six. I fitted an aftermarket exhaust on mine (Kline Innovation) and it's much better than it was but you just can't get that sound on a Turbo.

Good point Isysman.

I've got PSE on mine and I do love it and do remember someone making a comment on the sound of the turbos.

Guessing it more than makes up for it in performance....

I'll try a test drive soon but if anyone has one for sale then please get in touch!

Thanks

isysman said:
DerbyJim said:

The only thing that I was disappointed about in my Turbo was the noise. You won't get anything like a NA flat six. I fitted an aftermarket exhaust on mine (Kline Innovation) and it's much better than it was but you just can't get that sound on a Turbo.

Whilst I 100% agree that you can't beat the sound of a N.A. car. There are some incredible sounding exhausts out there for a Turbo. I've so far heard the Kline, Europipe, Tubi and Akrapovic on my own. All of which sound awesome compared to standard. I too felt that the standard exhaust noise was so muted and non existent, i thought i had a dead rat stuffed up it !! Deffo best mod I have done to mine and a must for the grin factor :D
DerbyJim said:
Good point Isysman.

I've got PSE on mine and I do love it and do remember someone making a comment on the sound of the turbos.

Guessing it more than makes up for it in performance....

I'll try a test drive soon but if anyone has one for sale then please get in touch!

Thanks

isysman said:
DerbyJim said:

Where in Surrey are you?? As I live near Winchester Hampshire and If you aren't miles away and want to go for a spin in mine, you are genuinely welcome.... :friends:
DerbyJim said:

It really is a no brainer to be honest.

If you are passing Ashford I can take you in mine, if you dont go whhhoooaaaassshhhiiitttt ill be very surprised, everyone else has!!

DMS has played with my Exhaust (started out as a Kline) and now it sounds awesome like a Jet. Its very addictive and unique, Standard is turd!!

DerbyJim said:
So, I've had the 997 for approx. 1.5 years and something in the region of 10-12k. Gotta say, the drive to south France through the twisties was the highlight. Can't really put that in words!

But, life is too short and work is going well so I'm looking for a bit of an upgrade.

My budget, depending on what I get for mine is likely just under the 50k mark (not that I specifically want / need to spend all of this!).

So what would you guys get? I've recently been hankering over a turbo, must be manual or PDK. Would my budget get me into a decent one? I'm not necessarily bothered about mileage as long as the condition is spot on.

I've also recently bought an Exige, for a DD no less! And the Evora is catching my attention more and more.

Anyone got first hand experience of a comparison?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Been a while since I've posted since I departed from the 964 (I really wish I'd never sold it, financial reasons).

After producing two sprogs, a 4 bed house and getting a promotion at work I decided to buy a proper car again and after many an hour procrastinating with my brother I bought a Lotus Evora...

One word... Awesome!

You'll need an S after a 911 and be prepared to deal with niggles a bit like a 5 or 6 year old 911 but they are great fun to drive and the ownership is fun. If you like Trackdays they are cheap by comparison.

I prefer the 911 engine and transmission but the steering, handling sharpness of the Evora are sublime.

I put on 20k miles and will miss its character. I decided to move on to an M3 last month before all V8's are made extinct..

The Evora is definitely worth a look.. 2013 or newer is a must as all the quality improvements were put into place then. I'd go for a manual S SR in Carbon Grey with under 10k miles for about £45k.. Great value and buys you something super rare and IMO quite cool. They've just taken a dip with the Evora 400 around the corner...

Cheers,
BK😉

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back