Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Maximum acceptable mileage on a new car

Fox Terrier

Has anybody got any thoughts on what the maximum acceptable mileage should be on a car sold as new. I always thought that only about 6 or 7 miles is acceptable but I see new cars being driven on trade plates being delivered (could be pre-registered I suppose) and I've now just seen a car advertised as new with 10 miles. Thoughts?

I've had cars with over 100 miles on.

Up to 20 miles is common.

It's no big deal.

A lot of them have bigger miles on anyway. It's common practice (least it was when my Dad worked for a local car dealership) to deliver cars across country and just disconnect the speedo.

Apparently, it was also common practice to screw the Nakajimas off them too.

I've had several new company cars delivered (not Porsche I'm afraid) with a few miles on them , maybe 2 , 4 or sometimes 6 or 7, but never tens of miles. One time I got asked by the dealership if they could get a guy to drive my new car to me, a distance of almost 300 miles......my reply was no, stick it on a trailer. They did.
I'm with Alex...don't want anybody abusing my new toy.

In the 80s Audi test drove all Quattro's for over 100 miles and at high speeds before the speedo is connected so not really new when you collected one from the dealer :eek:

We've had 2 new cars from an OPC and and they both had ~20miles on them at delivery.

Had a few other new ones from other manufacturers and they have varied from 2 miles on a new mini to 125 on a Mercedes SLK which apparently was because it was driven rather than transported from the distribution centre.

I remember a while back someone buying a new car and after a few days they noticed one of the doors was a different colour. After taking it back to the dealer to find out what was wrong - it turns out it'd been in a collision whilst being delivered and the car company (think it was Audi or VW) just got the car repaired.

Apparently, they'd even had cars that would normally be written off but because they've not been registered and the manufacturer is prepared to cover the cost of fixing them, they still get out into market :nooo:

Yep Alex I worked for two guys back in the 80's who both had a new Opel each, one was giving it large to my good mate of mine about has great it was to have a brand new motor only to be most upset when the guy who was a panel beater showed him that the door's were different colours ,it had slipped off the ramp when being unloaded in the docks not such a new car !!!

alex yates said:
I remember a while back someone buying a new car and after a few days they noticed one of the doors was a different colour. After taking it back to the dealer to find out what was wrong - it turns out it'd been in a collision whilst being delivered and the car company (think it was Audi or VW) just got the car repaired.

Apparently, they'd even had cars that would normally be written off but because they've not been registered and the manufacturer is prepared to cover the cost of fixing them, they still get out into market :nooo:

I used to work at a main dealers (not an OPC). Its not uncommon for new cars to be damaged in transit and then repaired and sold as new.

The dealer I worked for allowed up to 100 miles to show on a "new car", although less than 10 was the norm.

20 years ago I worked at a main dealership. The storage compound for new cars was 25 miles away at another branch. Frequently a car load of young sales guys were dispatched to collect new cars for unsuspecting customers, each armed with the keys and a gallon of petrol. They always raced back to the dealership without a care. Customers were spun some yarn whenever they queried the 30+ miles on the clock. :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back