Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Comparison of Meyle Coffin arms VS TRW made Genuine Porsche

wasz

So here it is, the one you have all been waiting for. I replaced my originals with Meyle arms and noted the differences.

Are those ~ 45 quid Meyle brand coffin arms as good as the TRW originals?

• - Meyle arms are 200g (15%) heavier than TRW
    - Looking at the photos you can see the extra material in them.
That's about the only real functional difference I noted. So by using Meyle arms you are somewhat negating all the effort Porsche put into reducing unsprung mass by fitting alloy arms.

K8xSH4Fl.jpg

25REshEl.jpg

tuiSArRl.jpg

RIT6TCTl.jpg

tJg8RR2l.jpg

8BySCOWl.jpg

Great comparison sir! Thank you :thumb:

Coffin Arms

Another job on my to do list...

Steve

Coffin Arms

Another job on my to do list...

Steve

Another difference!!!

Im not sure if it was just a bad batch, but I've just put Bilstien pss10 and lower arms (meyle) on my 996 Turbo and sent it to Precision to get set up.
Precision are saying they cannot get the correct camber, because the Meyle arms are so badly sized. They've had this before and wouldn't recommend buying them. Ive now had to shell out for genuine ones :nooo:
DONT GO NEAR THEM :hand:

I replaced all mine now with Meyle, I'm at least 6 months in, had hunter alignment done with no issues.
So, got all 4 done with alignment for less than £300 .... bargain,
as for the extra weight, I also fill my petrol tank up, instead of leaving it half full, so I don't really worry about the weight issue.
But, I don't use my car on a track , it's a high days & holidays car,
so really,
you pays your money & you makes your choice.

angry said:
Another difference!!!

Im not sure if it was just a bad batch, but I've just put Bilstien pss10 and lower arms (meyle) on my 996 Turbo and sent it to Precision to get set up.
Precision are saying they cannot get the correct camber, because the Meyle arms are so badly sized. They've had this before and wouldn't recommend buying them. Ive now had to shell out for genuine ones :nooo:

Correct - don't go near them. We have already made them aware that you cannot get standard settings with these lca because of the extra size. Complete waste of money.

Edit - you can fit them on the front and get the specs to standard. You cannot do it on the rear however.

996ttalot said:
angry said:
Another difference!!!

Correct - don't go near them. We have already made them aware that you cannot get standard settings with these lca because of the extra size. Complete waste of money.

Edit - you can fit them on the front and get the specs to standard. You cannot do it on the rear however.

Ewwww

At the back are you getting too much camber rather than not enough? :eek:

I fitted TRW on the front(bought a year ago) £45 each and Meyle( bought year ago) £44 each on the rear

Car aligned to factory spec no problem at all.

The casting on the meyle ones i got looked very well finished comparable to TRW

Not sure if things have changed :dont know:

Does anyone know if the cheaper arms are made from exactly the same material ? Maybe they have been made " beefier" because they are made from inferior aluminium ??

Re: Comparison of Meyle Coffin arms VS TRW made Genuine Pors

Bought a set of CTE for my 996t. Looks good in quality. Matt from type911 said these were the closest thing to TRW arms, since TRW don't make them anymore. They weight 1.47kg

Agreed I had massive problems getting the alignment correct on the rear, they were so different I had huge toe in. In the end settled for a camber compromise.

Having just fitted the Meyle ones and having alignment done with no issues, I'd like to hear more on the size issue? I also lowered mine by 30mm so had the geo set to the x74 spec.

As for 25g difference in unsprung mass, I don't think I'm astute enough to feel the difference?

I do now feel naive as I didn't even consider that there would be a significant difference between these and OEM, but now you mention it, it seems obvious there will be some difference.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back