Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 mk2 Guards Red

and so it begins....

the old girl went in a couple of weeks ago and progress has been good. I expect the prep and paint to take around 4-5 weeks. I want them to take their time and they have really gone to town with getting all the chips, dings and other bits.

its currently in primer and settling this week before more blocking and flatting and then paint . staying with guard red.

no rush as its a weekend car and am sure it will come out looking the part.

WOW!! That's going to look amazing when finished, so surprised they found so much of the paintwork needed fixing. Can't wait to see the end result. :worship:

Shurv....its a bit like buying an old house....you start picking at sth and before you know it you are in way deeper than you thought!! its a 12 year old car after all, been on track, its been used (70k) so its not garage queen.

talking to a mate who details high end cars he said the paintwork on a new 918 spyder he got recently was utter shite for the value of the car. spent a week sorting it out. new paint is not like old since they took the lead out. in fact German cars are amongst the worst.

my neighbours Kia thingy has great pant on it...better than her husbands 50k merc sat next to it!!

ok so progress on the paint front....

shell has been done as well as the doors, bonnet, front and rear bumper. just a few other bits to go. hoping end of week once trim and windows are all back on.

its a deeper red than I had before and I guess 10 year old paint has oxidised and changed colour.

picked up the old girl after what was a long 5.5 weeks wait but well worth it. the paintwork is just superb and its like glass. massive thanks to Manor Coachworks in Erith and Scotts Performance in Dartford who have looked after her (and many of my other cars)

RS style black decal delete
GT3 RS rear air ram duct added and painted
Mirrors painted in red
GT3 kick plates added as were missing?
new clips in the roof rails as were broken
loads of other things done I am sure!!

very happy with the results.

new windscreen goes in next Tuesday.

Looks simply stunning i love your car.

looks a lovely job and 5.5 weeks is not a big deal for those results :thumb:

thanks for your kind words chaps and really please with outcome.

I have got some Silver Speedline wheels I wanted to try out on the car. appreciate your feedback on the colour. think I am more with the black but can keep these wheels for track use maybe.

proper off sets for GT3 as well as 235/295 tyres but they look smaller. maybe the design but they are defo 18s!

For track days you need a set of these:

This GT3 RS carbon bonnet:

And these tyres:

final bits to do on the car before wales trip....

Calipers refurbed

New Air con system

gets nasty in there

better main rad

air con re gassed.

no idea why Porsche never put some sort of mesh in there and its hard to retrofit on the gt3 as the air scoops all mold into the bumper fittings.

should last a few years though. will keep on top of it with the hoover.

Stunning 996, looks absolutely mint and love guards red looks the business.
Get the black wheels back on ASAP look so much better!!
Re mesh it's a two hour job and would get it done if you can as it will prot ct your new rads.
See link below, I used gt4's guide and instructions were spot on, here's a pic of mine meshed

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=51912

thanks for your kind words chaps. its pretty much done now and where I want it to be so just going to enjoy it.

off to north wales next weekend for a driving trip with an RS, another GT3 and some nobles. should be fun

TB saw that car...sadly mine has a few more miles on it and its been used but it should have appreciated ;-) I just love owning and driving it as always wanted one.

thanks for the pics of the turbo front PU. sadly we have tried to do that but for some reason the GT3 front bumper where it meets the rubbers and all the venting it means the bumper won't go on properly.

orb why I have not seen GT3s with the front mesh as it makes perfect sense to do it!! annoying but hey ho,

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back