Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering Wheel Query

That interior looks good broken up with some black. The wheel is a massive improvement Imho.
When you fit the new controller nothing will work!
Dash display, tpms, on board computer, Psm light will stay on and pasm won't work! Don't worry anyone with Piwis can sort it all. They just run through the menu centralise wheel, etc. it's just a case of telling the control unit what's fitted and what's not, ie multifunction is a yes, Pdk is a no, etc etc.
They are just programming a new unit irrespective of why it's a new unit.

Which in your case is to have later m/f controls, in my case it was to have Pdk controls.
Hope that helps
Dave

Great thanks Dave, Ive got the part on order now, Ive also got the car booked in for a service at the end of the month, so I'll fit the new control unit just before I take it in and get them to program that at the same time as the service!

Yes, I am happy with adding some black, may even paint the rear centre console satin black and fit black gear stick, brake lever and arm rest. I like the stone grey, but its nice to mix it up a bit and create more of a two tone interior rather than have everything grey or indeed any one colour!

thanks again for your input! new wheel feels and looks a lot nicer than the old one which was looking and feeling dated!

Just a follow up to this thread.

I fitted a new control unit part number 997.613.289.01 (pic attached) into the steering column that controls everything in that area, steering functions and all the lever controls on the steering column.

This unit upgrade is needed to allow the programming of the multifunction controls on the new steering wheel, even though my old wheel was MF also.

As Dave helpfully pointed out, this then has to be programmed with all the options and functions you want working in your car. I had mine in the OPC for its service yesterday, so they were able to get the multifunction controls working and remove al the warning lights that were thrown.

There is also a menu within PCM3 that can be activated via PIWIS which then allows you to assign one of the buttons on the MF steering wheel to any function within the PCM which is useful.

Attachments

• img_5735_124.jpg
    img_5735_124.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 13,656
  • img_5736_124.jpg
    img_5736_124.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 13,656
monster said:
bs0u0118 said:
I can't help here unfortunately, but wanted to ask where you got the wheel and multifunction plate from? Considering doing this in mine.

I purchased them all separately, I got the wheel from the US, it came with non multifunction fascia which I removed, the airbag from Germany, both second hand and bought the multifunction fascia new from local OPC.

May I ask the price for the multifunction panel you purchased from the OPC?

LWB said:
monster said:
bs0u0118 said:
I can't help here unfortunately, but wanted to ask where you got the wheel and multifunction plate from? Considering doing this in mine.

I purchased them all separately, I got the wheel from the US, it came with non multifunction fascia which I removed, the airbag from Germany, both second hand and bought the multifunction fascia new from local OPC.

May I ask the price for the multifunction panel you purchased from the OPC?

I paid OPC £378 plus government grab! - You can choose black or silver/grey

Looks good,nice conversion.
The centre console with PC3 black wheel & mats break the interior up nicely
Looks a lot more update. No upgrade on the Porsche marque are cheap or easy though but worth it (as you've shown ).
:thumbs:

I've just been looking into this issue, & found this post. My control module is 997.613.297.01, so I assume I'll have to swap it out with an updated version then?

:sad:

Clanky, you should not need the newer steering module as you are manual no multi function, do you have an issue with what you have done in the thread with a picture, there might be two issues you have, one the horn not working if so get your opc to switch the multifunction option on using PIWIS
the other thing you might be getting is a sticky airbag movement when pressing the horn , try removing the airbag double check that the loom is sitting in the groove ,check any silicon tape is not starting to peel if so remove it , many suggest removing the silicon tape anyway then add some silicon grease to the 3 little tabs on the side of the airbag , this should make it move smoother but they are a bit stiffer anyway than the gen1 type. if its nether of these let us know and maybe there's something else to try.hope that's sorts it. Phil

I'm thinking about changing my gen1 steering wheel to the gen2 one, any pointers please. I presume just wheel and airbag needed, no MF or Tip' control needed (manual car).

Attachments

• gen1_wheel_214.jpg
    gen1_wheel_214.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 8,006
  • gen2_wheel_121.jpg
    gen2_wheel_121.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 8,006
Phil 997 said:
Clanky, you should not need the newer steering module as you are manual no multi function, do you have an issue with what you have done in the thread with a picture, there might be two issues you have, one the horn not working if so get your opc to switch the multifunction option on using PIWIS
the other thing you might be getting is a sticky airbag movement when pressing the horn , try removing the airbag double check that the loom is sitting in the groove ,check any silicon tape is not starting to peel if so remove it , many suggest removing the silicon tape anyway then add some silicon grease to the 3 little tabs on the side of the airbag , this should make it move smoother but they are a bit stiffer anyway than the gen1 type. if its nether of these let us know and maybe there's something else to try.hope that's sorts it. Phil

Sorry, re-read my post & realised it wasn't very clear.
Yes, I have a problem with the horn not working.
It presses in & springs back ok, so I'm certain that it's sliding ok, otherwise I figure it would sound & not stop.

I've had it off a few times now, & even put my old wheel back on to confirm the horn does work.

Martain, Other than the issues I'm having with the horn, its a straight forward swap assuming you get a wheel with the cables connected.
There are 2 connectors & earth on the airbag unit. From what I can work out, the connectors are for a 2 stage deployment, & the earth should be for the horn.
All you need is a 5mm allen key to pop out the old airbag, & a 12mm spline drive (12 point). To tighten, it's 37ft-lb.

I'm going to look into the way the wiring goes into the main plug & try to see if I can work out where the problem is regarding the horn connection.

Martian said:
I'm thinking about changing my gen1 steering wheel to the gen2 one, any pointers please. I presume just wheel and airbag needed, no MF or Tip' control needed (manual car).

I am just waiting on a bit more info as I can't remember if the manual with no MF needs the newer control module at £250 or not and just needs the OPC to turn on multifunction with the piwis to get the horn to work. Nightmare getting them to turn on multifunction when you don't have it, they just can't grasp it. lol.

mine is a tip and I did need the new module as with the old module I could have gears or horn but not both :eek: :what: so went with gears until the module arrived. :thumb:

You don't need the new control mudule in a manual. You just need yo have the MFW active to get the horn to work. When I fitted my wheel, I removed a multifunction wheel so it was a straight swap. Only the wheel and airbag were changed nothing else.

Yes Thanks for confirming that isys, I thought that was what I remembered .So clanky just a visit to the OPC and get the Multifunction turned on with the PIWIS and you should have a working horn . :thumb: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
Yes Thanks for confirming that isys, I thought that was what I remembered .So clanky just a visit to the OPC and get the Multifunction turned on with the PIWIS and you should have a working horn . :thumb: :grin:

That's a bonus!

I'll have a play around with Durametric again & see if ive missed anything first tho...

Clanky said:
Phil 997 said:

That's a bonus!

I'll have a play around with Durametric again & see if ive missed anything first tho...

Yes mate worth a try with the durametic , I know one or two have had it go ok but others have had to get a PIWIS to do it. my indy couldn't get mine sorted with a durametric so I had to go OPC PIWIS

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back