Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Backing up SD cards without computer

Never happy spoiling someone's popcorn (though there was that one unfortunate incident when one particularly obnoxious patron complained that they'd ordered salted) so I've updated the title to hopefully avoid further confusion :roll:

Oh, you spoilt my fun now.

It was mock indignation in jest.

PS - in case of accidental misinterpretation I was serious, DON'T FDISK :eek:

maybe not ideal and not so cheap....just chucking it out there. a wd 2tb wireless hdd with sd card reader??? don't know how fast the data transfer might be though

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/data-storage/portable-external-hard-drives/wd-my-passport-wireless-portable-hard-drive-2-tb-black-silver-10100703-pdt.html?gclid=COu18aTHmcUCFcISwwoduYMADw&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!58399102219!!!g!98214169699!&ef_id=UPMcVAAASwj5FFmg:20150428174725:s

my personal preference is sod it, buy the new macbook and rest easy in the fact that you have a nice shiny and light laptop !!!

Cheers - This essentially is the same as the original item I posted but neatly packaged together with a built in HDD, and a bit pricey too...

I'd love a Mac but I think for what you get it is prohibitively expensive. For the same outlay I could buy a mid-range laptop every 2-3 years which would keep me going for a decade...

Keep the suggestions comings, except the FDISK ones :hand:

additionally to the above, you must ensure that any device numbers its images sequentially so that when copied to the hdd, the images / videos have a unique file number/name. This as some devices will start from or can be configured to start from 001 each time a fresh card or memory is inserted

another option could be a wireless SD card and send the images to the ''old'' laptop, not ideal but possibly cost effective.then copy to HDD also for a back up ?

Nice idea. We have at least 4 GoPro's and that many regular cameras again so that's a lot of wifi SD cards :eek:

I'm leaning towards lugging my old tech as we're only talking about a couple of extra kilos, but I may take a punt on one of these wifi things and see how it compares.

It's clear that what I really need is a lightweight netbook with a decent sized SSD and usb 3.0 slot(s), plus at least one external SSD to compliment it. If I hurry PC World might still be running their January sales :roll:

FRP said:
additionally to the above, you must ensure that any device numbers its images sequentially so that when copied to the hdd, the images / videos have a unique file number/name. This as some devices will start from or can be configured to start from 001 each time a fresh card or memory is inserted

As long as you back up to shoot_date_xxxxxx/cam_xx/ folders then you shouldn't need to worry about device numbering on import.

You do want to validate your data before wiping cards though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back