Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

British Car Auctions: Buying a 997 Gen 2. Your thoughts.....

Personally I'd keep all avenues open, you can also buy privately. Some dealers are/are not worth the premium, so you have to make your own mind up.

Given its pretty cold over the next three months the people who are selling have to sell so be alert for all the expenses mentioned previously. Dependent on mileage, check if the water pump has been replaced.

Oh and good luck and when you find the right one, enjoy it!

just remember dealers put cars into auction for a reason..........

ok, lets dispel a huge myth here.

the auction house or the main dealer, or the small forecourt has no baring on the quality or reliability of the car...period.
the only thing the latter 3 can offer to more or less of a degree is the after care and warranty.
you could have an absolute stunner at an auction, that has been loved and cared for, and you can have a sparkling clean "pig" that has been abused every day at an OPC.

its all about the service and after sales that is either important, or the huge saving via the "ring"
not all cars at the block are sold as seen lots have warranties and are returnable, if there not as described (no known faults)
the money saved can be held back in case there is a problem, and if not...result, a cheaper car.
just do your home work and the old saying of
you pays yer money, and you takes yer chance
comes to mind.
if you dont like living on the edge, then stay clear of auctions, go have a look at some, they are a great day out.
see BCA blackbushe (the countries largest)

keep your options open, just be informed.
in the Army we used to say the 6 P's
prior planning & preparation, prevents a p!ssed off paratrooper

I've been to auctions a few times and always the cars I've been interested in go over what I could negotiate a private sale for and in lots of cases exceed or narrowly undercut forecourt prices once you add on buyers fees for private buyers.

As said car dealers buying at auction make money on trade ins and finance these days.

I buy privately every time as you can give the car a good going over and negotiate on price- cash and a quick hassle free sale always gets a result privately.

My problem is not many people are willing to sell cars under 5 years old privately even if you offer more than their trade in, as they are scared of the hassle you get when you advertise a car. Looking for a 3y/o golf in red if anyone has one they are about to trade!

Auctions are not worth it, but if you've never been then go for the experience.

wasz said:
I've been to auctions a few times and always the cars I've been interested in go over what I could negotiate a private sale for and in lots of cases exceed or narrowly undercut forecourt prices once you add on buyers fees for private buyers.

As said car dealers buying at auction make money on trade ins and finance these days.

I buy privately every time as you can give the car a good going over and negotiate on price- cash and a quick hassle free sale always gets a result privately.

My problem is not many people are willing to sell cars under 5 years old privately even if you offer more than their trade in, as they are scared of the hassle you get when you advertise a car. Looking for a 3y/o golf in red if anyone has one they are about to trade!

if that was the case why do you think the trade do 90% of there buying at the ring?

I bought my 2010 range rover from an auction house last month, just like the last 6 cars. They were all assured cars which I could hand back if anything arose with 3 days, so go to your mechanic and have it tested within tht time. It is relatively open these days, especially if you buy younger than 5 yrs old

medicus said:
wasz said:

if that was the case why do you think the trade do 90% of there buying at the ring?

I would guess, having been to far to many auctions I'd care to remember (although the hot beef baps are good!) it's because trader are charged a lot less in fees as they are traders, used to be silver gold etc.. This why private buyers pay more at auction than traders, they will always get it cheaper... Been a while since I've been to be fair , but last time, cars were fetching more than auto trader prices, don't forget you can test drive a private/trade car as well.

Also found all sorts of games being played by the big traders, like buying ALL the BMW X5 stock to control the market prices ... Great place to cut your teeth if you want to get into real trading... Personally there are safer better bargins to be had elsewhere as said already.

Eg I went to buy a E46 330cd, convertible, some time ago. brig house BCA. DId my research, hooked up trailer drove an hour, waited 2 hours on site for the lot after crawling around the car for a good while. Condition was average, needed detailing/correction...but looked ok if the price was right... I never even got to nod my head to bid...went straight up past the price on the auto trader and sold for £2k more ! Back to the car, back on the M62, looked at me old fella and laughed!

Lol not for me...although I do miss the beef baps !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back