Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wonky window - anyone know this fault?

Benji1975

Monza
I've had a look on search but can't find the specific issue.

When I open the drivers door the window pops down 1/2" to clear the hard top/roof. Instead of staying down until the door is closed though, it pops back up again the moment you release the door handle. This means when you shut the door the glass sits outside the frame. Interestingly, it then does a quick down/up to re-seat itself but obviously it's not working as should.
I checked the passenger side and glass is always 1/2" down any time the door is open.

Any clues? Regulator? Reset? Microswitch?

ta
Ben

Ta Alex, good write up that on your DIY fix :thumb:

I've found a thread on Rennlist as well. It looks like, in my case, it's the microswitch that is activated when the door is opened. The module things the door is closed so raises the window when the handle is released. If this is same microswitch does the interior light then i should be able to check when I get in...

Ben

http://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/503548-question-about-window-regulator-and-switches.html

Mine did the same - it's the microswitch on the door lock itself. I bodged for a while, but got annoyed with bodges not lasting too long and treated it to a new lock recently. The replacement lock has a redesigned microswitch so shouldn't fail in the same way which seems very common - Audi TT used the same lock and has the same failure point.

Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone selling the microswitch itself, although some owners have had success using similar switches, it all seemed a bit too much faff to me.

As a temp measure, I'd suggest you hold the handle slightly out (interior or exterior both work) whilst closing the door to avoid damaging the window seal or indeed the moving the window mech.

Thanks MrBen, that's exactly what I've been doing...just hold the handle open and time it to release as it closes. I instructed the missus and she later said; 'didn't need to, there's nothing wrong it..'
If you slam it then it the window hits the frame but then it dips down and up again. She obviously didn't even notice this so thinks everything is ok....even though it's potentially b*ggering the mechanism by bending the window back against frame!

New part should be arriving today (£173 posted from http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/). Will hopefully fit over weekend but will take the old one to pieces and see if I can fix anyway :D

Ben

Thankfully my missus is a bit more careful with it - in fact it's really her car!:D

When you take the old one out (make sure you disconnect battery first as it's fairly easy to trigger the courtesy function on the window and chop you arm in two!), you'll find it's simply a worn away microswitch and the surface it triggers against is also worn away.

I had some success gluing a small bit of flexible plastic in between the two, essentially adding a lever to the microswitch but it gave out in the end which is when I bought the new lock.

There's a good guide on, I think, Pelican parts to taking the door apart - it's not difficult but a bit fiddly in places.

Cheers all, finally got round to doing this and happy to confirm that new part from porschshop.co.uk (~£180) has fixed the problem.

Pelican parts thread and the one in the FAQ here helped a lot as some fiddly bits to it. The sod for me was trying to work out how to disconnect door handle from lock mech...took a while to figure out you slide the collar back and then pop it off.

I also managed to do it with just peeling back part of the foam sheet so left all the airbag and stuff instact.

Oh yes, and I managed to close the frunk with the battery disconnected...doh!

[/img]

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back