Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

porsche with cat d damage

allan108

Hi folks,

I have a small problem.... I have made the daft mistake of viewing a porsche, it looked great, history was complete and buyer seemed legitimate, i believe ehe still is.

I tried a couple of HPI / car checks and nothing came up. my friend suggested to try the AA, it was a bit late as i had payed for the car but not collected.

Its a CAT D...... yup, total mug.

He was as surprised as me and is talking with the last owner to try and resolve, he's spent the money, yep i know sounds bad.

so a couple of questions.

how to value a cat D 3.0 sc, with 84K miles?

any one have similar experience.

Thanks

Mug.....

hi, its only a problem on 2 counts
firstly it must have been repaired properly, if that's been done then no dramas,
secondly if your planning to keep for a good while, then its also not a drama, only if you bought to re sell.
FACT, there are thousands of cars on the road (and I bet a good number of Porsche's) that have sustained heavy damage, and been fixed, but not on the register, so who knows.

I have just bought a 60 plate 997 gen-2 turbo that is a cat B (flood damage) and its a peach, 98% fixed now, just carpets to be put in.
then all the Vosa tests etc, and re apply for the V5.
I have owned 4 cat D cars, and they are no dramas, its normally cosmetic damage, you are aware that it can affect the resale price, but if she is a keeper, then don't worry, enjoy your car.

strange that he spent the money so quickly.......... but as he is a private seller there is nothing you can do, unless you can prove he knew the history, try talking to the last keeper and see if he sold it to this guy and made him aware? you can also contact the Insurance coy, and see when it was categorised (HPI check will also tell you this) and see if it was during the sellers ownership? a little detective work may turn up some ammo, and then you can go the small claims court on line route.
good luck sir.

allan108 said:

Take at least 20% off the value of an equivalent non Cat car.

If the car checks out in all other areas it could be a bargain for you. :thumb:

Cheers Medicus.

Its a nice car by all accounts, but at 26k i feel I've probably over paid by quite a way of ra cat D.

Your right, i do plan on keeping it, so resale is not the end of the world, part of me was also buying the porsche as a good investment, i.e not a depreciating stone.

Al

T8 said:
allan108 said:

Thanks, i believe I've paid good market value for a non cat D. Overall i don't need to panic too much then!

Cheers guys really appreciate the feedback, feeling slightly better!

my old 911 SC was sold last month, to a guy on here for £29.995, slightly less mileage, and I think it should have been £35k
so I think you have evened out, and they will go up. :thumb:

i came very close to buying a Cat D from a company in Essex, they changed the number plates and owners a few times and did all sorts of things that may have disguised the Cat d status, it was a shame because, I liked the car enough for me to go back and say "even though you have been dishonest, I like the car and for the right price i will still consider it" they scoffed and said no we will sell it anyway, which i suppose they did but it was removed from sale from their website, so probably went on the bay.

Ive made stupid mistakes before, i bought a RR Sport with faked history but with diligent detective work, i ended up finding out that the car had had loads of work done, full service etc. the recent owner must have lost the book and instead of fessing up, faked a new one and had it stamped with toot.

Im thinking that you should try really hard to locate previous owners, find out what the damage was and if the price was right and you like the car, in a short time you will fall back in love with the car you bought. Google and Linkedin were my best friends when i had the problem, i located the owners through their business and politely messaged them.

Good luck :thumb:

T8 said:
allan108 said:

:agree:

Thank you for al the replies.

So far i have alerted the seller that I'm aware its cat D, I'm being friendly and polite, as to not stir the nest.

He was taken by surprise, and has copied me into emails to the previous owner to ask what the damage was and if there is any history.

As it stands he has spent the money, paid his parents back apparently, but I'm happy to keep proceeding if we can find a bit about the history and damage as long as we can negotiate on the original price a bit.

Ill keep you posted.

medicus said:
I have just bought a 60 plate 997 gen-2 turbo that is a cat B (flood damage) and its a peach, 98% fixed now, just carpets to be put in.

Are you sure yours is a Cat B? - if so you can't put it back on the road:

"Category B: body shell should be crushed. Signifies extensive damage, although some parts are salvageable. Should never re-appear on road, although reclaimed parts can be used in other road-going vehicles."

a1topdog said:
medicus said:

Are you sure yours is a Cat B? - if so you can't put it back on the road:

"Category B: body shell should be crushed. Signifies extensive damage, although some parts are salvageable. Should never re-appear on road, although reclaimed parts can be used in other road-going vehicles."

I don't know where people get this from, its totally wrong.
the classifications are only for Insurance purposes.
you absolutely can put a cat B back on the road.
you have to obtain a vosa test, then a stringent MOT, then re apply for your V5.
done it before, and there are loads of cat B cars for sale, that have been repaired.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back