Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 996 this week......?

alex yates said:
Rear discs and pads on a 996 has to be one of the easiest brake jobs I've done on any car.

Good guide here for the pads: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...Brake_Pads/49-BRAKES-Replacing_Brake_Pads.htm

When I took my discs off, I just undid the callipers with the two bolts, hung them out they way, then removed the 2 retaining screws and they slide off over the brake shoes (make sure handbrake is off).

When you put your new ones on, you might want to reset your shoes and adjust your handbrake: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...stment/51-BRAKES-Parking_Brake_Adjustment.htm

Good link Alex , I would also replace the bolts that hold the calipers on as im sure they are stretch bolts, then re torque them up. They only cost a couple of pounds from OPC

A major service at RSJ in Slough (top job as always, which is why I keep going back), including Plugs and 6 Coils. It didn't need either, just wanted to make sure it was perfect! Interestingly, more mpg on the way home too......

Some 'Wheel Woolies' brushes to try to keep the wheels clean.

A litre of Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner. Awesome stuff!!!

Just waiting to get my steering wheel and handbrake cover back from Jack at Royal as retrimmed in alcantara with red stitch. Centre console body colour matched and 997 hardback seat install. Car should be all done in April and I will get some pics up. :thumb:

MOT and £58 of Tesco momentum petrol...................

do i win ?

New996buyer said:
Shurv said:
In the last 2 weeks, I've fitted an alcantara steering wheel, courtesy of Royal Steering wheels, spruced up my "big reds" with a good clean and a coat of fresh lacquer, and to top it all, fitted some sexy RSS spacers, 7mm front, 15mm rear and re fitted my summer wheels. I've got Easter week off, so I'll be giving it it's annual spring clean and polish, treat the leather to a good clean and cream, and getting some more miles on the clock. :thumb:

I was going to send my calipers away for refurb but A) they were working perfectly and B) its more cosmetic as the lacquer has peeled. I'm interested in your sprucing up of yours, especially now mine are in a box in the loft!

Did you remove them, strip and clean (a la Infrasilver) or did you just rub down in situ, mask and spray? :?:

Oh and how long did Royal have your wheel? That and an AMG paddle are on my list! :thumb:

Send Royal a photo of your steering wheel and tell them what you want. Jack will confirm the price and a turnround time. If you want to have it fitted by him, you go to his house and does a swap over.He has steering wheels in stock which he re covers,fits them to your car, then your old one goes back on his shelf. Mine took just over a week from initial email to install. He's in Aylesbury, so not far from you.
The callipers were really easy. Remove the wheel, clean the calliper, remove any flaking lacquer. Mask up ,then spray with 2 coats of lacquer to get them looking like new again. Re fit the wheel and move to the next one. Didn't bother removing the calliper, I sprayed what I could see, that's all I wanted to do TBH. If I have a ful refurb/rebuild, I'll send them off to Pro callipers for that. Total cost, £7.99 for a rattle can of lacquer. :D

Thanks M :thumb:

Looks like I'll be out the back garden with wet'n'dry and some paint at the weekend!

As promised earlier here is the ignition switch I had replaced last week.

20 minute job by reaching up and behind the dash via the driver side footwell. IF you know what you're doing as refitting takes place blind!

Also as an FYI here's the suction cup based iPhone holder I picked up from Halfords. The phone is in the loft in bubble wrap.

Also here's a pick of the ION Bluetooth Cassette adaptor I picked up from John Lewis online. Took 6 weeks to come, so pick up next time you're in NY is my advice as Radio Shack stock on the shelves.

NOT done last week but I understand it might be a useful short term fix for fellow PCM1 'sufferers'!!

EDIT - fixed the pictures - thanks Alex! :thumb:

Looking at the ignition switch, it looks like an easy fix as they can be dismantled, cleaned on the contacts (+adjusted if necessary) and re-assembled - was the switch expensive?

Are they supposed to be the same photos for the phone holder?

alex yates said:
Looking at the ignition switch, it looks like an easy fix as they can be dismantled, cleaned on the contacts (+adjusted if necessary) and re-assembled - was the switch expensive?

It wasn't electrical but mechanical. The internal mechanism fails so the switch fails to sit in the right position etc. So the cheapest and easiest approach is to swap it. I think it was £20 or so.

I'll post you the old one if you have a burning need to disassemble it and get it working again! :grin:

New996buyer said:
alex yates said:

It wasn't electrical but mechanical. The internal mechanism fails so the switch fails to sit in the right position etc. So the cheapest and easiest approach is to swap it. I think it was £20 or so.

I'll post you the old one if you have a burning need to disassemble it and get it working again! :grin:

I know it's a mechanical issue hence me stating "dismantled, cleaned on the contacts (+adjusted if necessary) and re-assembled". My scooter had the exact same problem last year. If it was £25 I'd've fixed it but not worth it at £20 :grin:

alex yates said:
I know it's a mechanical issue hence me stating "dismantled, cleaned on the contacts (+adjusted if necessary) and re-assembled". My scooter had the exact same problem last year. If it was £25 I'd've fixed it but not worth it at £20 :grin:

:?: I'm confused - the spring internally has gone, so it doesn't hold the barrel in the correct position anymore, so not sure how cleaning it will fix it..........? Unless I'm really missing something :dont know:

(+adjusted if necessary)

Contacts can be adjusted, springs can be adjusted.

MOT due in two weeks. No other work planned apart from fuelling the car (and whatever the MOT brings up - hopefully nowt!).

Hi guys,

1. Fitted the bumper mesh grilles.
2. Fitted more extended leather, so many leather covered parts fitted including custom parts. Just need to door grilles in leather now.
3. Fitted new quad tailpipes
4. Changed a coil pack
5. Had the headlamps polished

Vinny

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back