Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 964 experience..

MarkGolf

Hi Guys!

I have taken a bit of a turn from the usual direction I go with my choice of car and ended up buying something that kind of scares me. Normally I know a car in and out before I buy it, having spent months doing research etc etc. Well, I have to admit, I know literally nothing about the workings of a 964, it is the oldest car I have owned, (An L reg was previously the oldest and that is my current MX5 skid car and an old Volvo T5, don't ask..), it is my first experience with an air cooled car and just a car I never thought I would own, always liked them but always been scared.

So, I was about to buy a 996 which was an impulse decision, no need or want for it, just a convenient local purchase.. Before I bit that bullet, I happened to think of an old friend I knew through work, I remember doing some work at his place of work which was a weekly thing and one day, him telling me with glee that he has just bought a Porsche, outside stood this Guards Red 964.. Iconic car and paid a measly £13k for it (7 years ago)... Fast forward and I decided to text him, simply asking, "do you still have the Porsche. A reply comes in, "YES WHY?", I get straight to the point, "Do you want to sell it", he replied with, "Come down and let's talk".

5:30 rolls round and straight from the office, I shoot to his place, I see the 964 looking a tad sorry for itself.. Out comes Dave and a tour begins.. Car starts on the button and is used at least once a week, sounding healthy, I get taken for a spin in it and wow, this thing feels better than my 997, so solid after so many years.

Cutting a long story short, after being told that he needs to sell as he feels he's had it too long, being shown the hoard of new OEM spare parts, complete spare rear light set, complete tailgate, various seals and other random lucky dip boxes, I didn't really care for what was in them, I just knew I had to buy this car. A deal was done and this Friday/Saturday, I will be collecting it. It is currently at an alarm place having a new alarm fitted :)

She is a tiptronic (Not my choice but couldn't say no) with 79k miles, loads of paperwork, loads of recent work performed, looked after heavily (mechanically), the interior is 100%, exterior just needs a polish although there are 2/3 very light rust bubbles on the wing edges and the spare boot lid is white so I can see myself booking this in for a full repaint.

I could go on but I'll let the pics do the talking!

I cannot wait!

I really want to learn what options it has and how to do a few things..

Things that are wrong, tyres are old, heater does not blow hot air and rear wiper seems to be jammed, otherwise it's just minor bits, mechanically its solid, regular oil changes, new tiptronic fluid along with some replaced pipes, healthy brakes.. Cant wait to get stuck in.

Thought I'd share and keep a diary like I do with my 997, link below.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=95260

Cheers
Mark

Oh that's fantastic!...If it was mine I would get it mechanically perfect and leave the paint as is..money can't buy what time has done..looks awesome..

MarkGolf said:
...... exterior just needs a polish although there are 2 rust scabs and the spare boot lid is white so I can see myself booking this in for a full repaint.

"Just needs a polish" :nooo:

From those pics it looks like a full respray is required.

The good news is that I'm certain you'd get your money back and probably a lot more. The rest of the car looks very nice.

Whatever, 'Congratulations' on what looks like a terrific find and well done for posting the story. :thumb:

What a story, just love that another one joins the fold. Good luck, any help needed just let us know....only a few more sleeps :thumb:

Congrats. Always loved the 964 and they look better than ever.
Looks like we have found the next Magnus Walker.... Nice little collection of 911's you are building there!!

Good solid car to start from (except the gearbox!)

Everything is fixable. The things you mention are familiar to all us 964 owners.

Enjoy her.

Magnus Walker has just purchased a 964, so you are in good company

:thumb:

Great story :thumb:

T8 said:
MarkGolf said:
...... exterior just needs a polish although there are 2 rust scabs and the spare boot lid is white so I can see myself booking this in for a full repaint.

:

Don't be so sure. The Guards Red paint on the 964 has no top coat and a good machine polish could just sort the job nicely and bring the paint back to life :)

Chris

Congratulations, welcome to the club :)

Yes that will machine polish up perfect and the tiptronic boxes are spot on, looks like a belter :thumb:
I was scared and paranoid when I first got mine but once you get used to it you'll be fine.

Ian

deutschland-dobson said:
T8 said:
MarkGolf said:

:

Don't be so sure. The Guards Red paint on the 964 has no top coat and a good machine polish could just sort the job nicely and bring the paint back to life :)

Chris

I'm happy to learn something new every day, Thanks. :thumb:

Thanks all.

I am fully confident that I will have the paint looking the total opposite of what it does in the pictures once I have spent some time on it. The licked finger rub test reassured any doubts. I haven't got it in me to leave it with the patina'd look, perhaps if it had patches of rusty etc but as it stands, it just looks a bit pikey! :hand:

Once I have got the car up to scratch, I plan on getting it into my good friends at Xquisite Automotive for a show quality paint job. They have always shown some amazing workmanship on my cars in the past, mainly my Golf which has won countless shows including best paint and 5 AutoGlym modified concours standard shows, so this 964 will be in great hands. I'm hoping they can magic a manual gearbox in there. :D :floor:

I follow Magnus Walker on Instgram and noticed that he has recently started on a 964, I'm not so sure on his tastes so I'm sure it will end up looking like a patch work quilt, perhaps he could just buy mine or swap for one of his beautiful 930 T's!

Thanks Chief, I already have a list of questions and I haven't even got the thing yet, I don't even know what quantity and weight of oil it takes!!
:eh!: I have gone through yours and Dobsons threads so far, great inspiration! I have that excited feeling and only have 1 more sleep, he wanted me to collect Saturday but I've push him to Friday evening and he will kindy drop off all of the spares in his van over the weekend :)

Thank you all for your comments, I will update any progess once it happens (and I have the car!)

The first thing I want to sort is the hot air not blowing. It has had a new fan (the thing on the upper left hand side of the engine) which I am led to believe is something to do with the hot air in the cabin, so where can I start my investigation? I'll need this as the girlfriend will no doubt complain that it's old and cold when I take her out in it..) :evil:

Cheers!

The first think you need to check is the 30 amp fuse in the triangular fuse box next to the hot air blower in the engine compartment. It's likely blown or has a 25 amp fuse which will definitely have blown (Porsche uprated the fuse to 30 amp soon after they realized the issue).

p.s. please don't slam it! :nooo:

please dont touch the paint .. it looks great as it it and a perfect way of sticking 2 fingers up at the picnic & polish lot :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back