Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie looking for help re 930 Turbo in Techart 993 Body

PowderFighter

Hi to all Porsche fans.
I am a 33 year old economist from Ankara, Turkey, working as a financial advisor.

I have been a Porsche fan since i first saw a 911 back in 1991, and couldn't stop fantasizing about 993 Porsche's ever since. Currently I'm driving a 2012 Mercedes CLS, and a 2013 Volkswagen Amarok.

Recently i found a 1985 911 Turbo for sale, converted to 993 Turbo S and completely modified by TechArt in Germany.

Here is a link to the car:
http://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/vasi...che-911-turbo-s-techart-yapim-197114917/detay

It is around 600HP, and has only 5.200km's on the counter, and got lots of extras.

I literally fell in love with the car when i saw it and sat in it. But, there is an important problem about this beauty; The car won't run smoothly, makes exploding sound when you push the gas pedal a little bit and won't accelerate normally. I talked to the owner and they said they will make a discount if I buy the car as is, around £40.000, i will be able to buy the car.

I don't know what can be wrong about the car, and most probably i won't be able to find a specialized 993 Porsche repairer. What do you think can go wrong with this car? How much would it cost maximum for the repair?

Previously, back in 2004, I had a 1996 Subaru Impreza GT, which had a very similar problem, and it turned out to be ignition coils. I didn't have a good service back than too, I found the problem by myself by doing lots and lots of research. So, I am not new to these kind of situations:)

I would be very pleased if anyone could help. I hope it will turn out to be a good decision to buy the car and i will be a resident in this forum.
Thanks a lot in advance, and it is nice to be here.

Wow....thats a pretty broad subject...... :grin:

:welcome: to 911uk

I've modified your thread title so that somebody more able to advise might see it. :thumb:

If you don't know these cars and don't know what you are buying, engage someone to inspect it and report back to you - but choose someone who does know these cars inside out.

Price seems suspiciously low. But I'm no expert. My only claim is that I know a little bit about 996 Turbo's and even less about the rest of the Porsche range!

So is it basically a 930 turbo with a techart body kit?

500bhp sounds a lot to get out of the 930's single turbo....

I totally agree with Cheshire's advice here. Get someone who knows the 930 well to check it over.

I would add though, that before you do this you may want to get a comprehensive list of engine modifications before you get someone to look at it.

The biggest demand is for a 930 Turbo as close to factory standard as possible.
Once anyone starts to splice and dice such a car, you as a buyer venture into unknown territory:
1. What has been done exactly?
2. Who did it?
3. Why was it tinkered? Was it a crash damaged wreck?
4. How well was bodywork done?
5. Will all these mods make it difficult for me when I come to sell it?
6. Can I see the bolts on the side of the car to connect the electrodes when it is a night of lightning to stir my Frankenstein Boris Karloff monster into life?
7. What if my Frankenstein monster won't listen to my pedal commands? How will I bring it under my control?

You get the drift I guess.

ragpicker said:
So is it basically a 930 turbo with a techart body kit?

500bhp sounds a lot to get out of the 930's single turbo....

I totally agree with Cheshire's advice here. Get someone who knows the 930 well to check it over.

I would add though, that before you do this you may want to get a comprehensive list of engine modifications before you get someone to look at it.

In fact it is has mostly 993 tt parts, including engine,, transmission, etc.

cheshire911 said:
The biggest demand is for a 930 Turbo as close to factory standard as possible.
Once anyone starts to splice and dice such a car, you as a buyer venture into unknown territory:
1. What has been done exactly?
2. Who did it?
3. Why was it tinkered? Was it a crash damaged wreck?
4. How well was bodywork done?
5. Will all these mods make it difficult for me when I come to sell it?
6. Can I see the bolts on the side of the car to connect the electrodes when it is a night of lightning to stir my Frankenstein Boris Karloff monster into life?
7. What if my Frankenstein monster won't listen to my pedal commands? How will I bring it under my control?

You get the drift I guess.

I will most probably stay away from it. It doesn't seem to be a good investment. :roll:

But i will have all the information you asked tomorrow, just out of curiosity.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back