Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hardseat backs

I currently have a pair of Hard Backs in my living room in bits as I'm stripping the backs for painting and I also need to re-dye the leather so if anyone needs a picture of anything in there let me know?
I'm currently at this stage, I'm also thinking of retro fitting heated seat pads whilst I'm this deep in.

infrasilver, thanks for posting the picture.
I have just looked up the part nos and the frame is exactly the same
for both comfort and hardback seats. So is it just be a case of swapping
over the shell, cover and interior bits?

tbrown said:
infrasilver, thanks for posting the picture.
I have just looked up the part nos and the frame is exactly the same
for both comfort and hardback seats. So is it just be a case of swapping
over the shell, cover and interior bits?

I guess it is just a case of that, although, finding where everything goes back may be a challenge, as there are a couple of clips that are in different to the others and the foam is glued to the hard back so requires careful peeling.
For what you want to do, a straight back swap would be easier than stripping if you don't need to.

infrasilver said:
For what you want to do, a straight back swap would be easier than stripping if you don't need to.

That was my original thinking, just didn't know if it could be done.
I think I now have all the options, Thanks guys. :thumb:

the problem lies with the long (18" bolt) that goes through the bottom of the hardback base / rear of seat base (where they connect)
its like the internals of a watch....springs/clips, and shells, it was very hard for me to get this back together (and working properly) and I know my way around a spanner.
but im sure someone more knowledgeable will know an easy way of doing it.

anybody?

one more thing you may wish to consider, that has not been mentioned, is if you just swap over the backs, you will be left with miss matched seats, not only in the leather colour/wear, but the sport seats have higher side bolsters, quite noticeable in my opinion, although in photos its less easy to tell.
it might help with your decision.

Anyone tried getting the hard seat backs wrapped? Might be easier than removal+painting.

:? I am a bit confused now :sad:

IF you are not using/keeping the hard back seats, I would like to buy them so that I can paint the backs. :flowers:

If not then no worries :cheers:

Robertb said:
Anyone tried getting the hard seat backs wrapped? Might be easier than removal+painting.

seen it, and it looks terrible, because of the continuous "flex" they always peal if you have anybody/thing in the back. and I have yet to see a convincing job, considering its only £100 tops for painting, its a bit of a non starter I think.

HSC911 said:
:? I am a bit confused now :sad:

IF you are not using/keeping the hard back seats, I would like to buy them so that I can paint the backs. :flowers:

If not then no worries :cheers:

I'm looking at removing the comfort seats and replacing [with] the hardbacks.
I don't think anyone is selling.

medicus said:
one more thing you may wish to consider, that has not been mentioned, is if you just swap over the backs, you will be left with miss matched seats, not only in the leather colour/wear

My left and right seat don't match anyway due to different amount of wear.

medicus said:
one more thing you may wish to consider, that has not been mentioned, is if you just swap over the backs, you will be left with miss matched seats, not only in the leather colour/wear, but the sport seats have higher side bolsters, quite noticeable in my opinion, although in photos its less easy to tell.
it might help with your decision.

I was always told there wasn't a difference between the bases from the comfort seat and the sports seat but comparing both, now I'm able to, it's clear that the sports seat bolsters are more raised. Not only was I after the look of the winged backs and obviously how good they look painted but the bolsters being taller is mostly what I was after, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I've just got the measure out and the sports seat bolsters are actually 15mm taller, result. :thumb:

ok reading this thread seems like this is going to be a mission.

I just want to take the seat backs off the seats i purchased and put them in my c4s. only the backs as the c4s interior is a different colour to the seats i purchased black, mine is blue.

However what happens with the back of the seats in the car do i have to remove the existing rear leather.

Is there an interior shop anyone could recommend I could just take the hard backs to and my seats and leave them with?

On the 996 hard backs there are 6 screws (4 Phillips & 2 Torx) that hold the plastic to the metal frame of the seat and to undo these you need to take the centre back pad off (3 clips that require pulling up) or at least pull it away from the seat and then unhook the leather from its metal clips behind it, you also need to peel the leather from around the outside of the seat back to release the plastic hard back, so in reality you have taken all the leather off the seat at this stage

I have stripped both my seats down now and just need to dye the leather, paint the backs and fit heated seat pads.
I might do a DIY on the subject once I'm done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back