Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The £13 trickle chargers are back in LIDL

Sometimes forums really annoy me. This is one of those times. Basic chargers are fine but they don't have some features that the more expensive ones have. I've been able to recover batteries with my recon feature that a standard charger couldn't do.

People buy the type that's suits them, just like the cars we drive. If some want to use their 35 year old chargers and risk fires and damage to their cars, then fill your boots. I've seen the results of chargers failing or overcharging batteries, one time almost caused a fire on one of the tenders on the yacht were I work. Also batteries can vent toxic gases if they are over charged. None of these issues I'm willing to risk as I leave my vehicles.

So laugh all you want chuckles, but if you start a thread called 'my garage burned down' then I'll be sure to say I told you so.

Zingari said:
Those CTEK are all smoke n mirrors. When you strip it down its near enough the same as the £13 Lidl one :wack:

And a Porsche, when stripped down, is still near enough a car! :roll:

PS - CTEK MXS 3.8 @ <£50 on eBay :thumb:

Thanks for the heads up
I've just bought 2 one for the pork and one for the 6v motorbike that sits next to it, perfect :thumb:

GT4 said:
[quote="Zingari"

Genuine on eBay Who the f"ck knows :dont know:

Its a pleasure...hold on smoke coming out of the garage....gotta go.

Gav171073 said:
Its a pleasure...hold on smoke coming out of the garage....gotta go.

Thanks for making me have a good laugh :D

Waz said:
GT4 said:
[quote="Zingari"

Genuine on eBay Who the f"ck knows :dont know:

Well the one I bought was.

Use your common sense.

eBay is just an electronic "market place" (in the town square sense), there will be genuine sellers and charlatans.

I use eBay to search out prices, then run down the listings until I find a reputable seller/company.

Often buying direct if I can (ie look up company name in google and trade via their website once I've done the due diligence on T&Cs, contact details etc).

Just for the record it was http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk, and t the time it was £42 delivered. (CTEK MXS3600)

^^^ That's a lot of effort for a £50 charger.

BTW the 35+yr charger I've got was 'Made in England' :thumb:

Although I think batteries are getting better. The one on my Audi is 12yrs old and still going strong without being charged. Apart from when I left it on a £12 solar charger for 6 months when I was overseas. Started first time on my return :thumb:

Zingari said:

Sadly, day by day, it seems the lengths to not getting f***** over in life takes more and more time and effort (on or off line).

I gave a general over-view of the "hunter gatherer" process I employ on someone else's dime (at work) or whilst sodding Stars in Their Strictly Come Downton Brother is on the goggle box (at home).

GT4 said:
Zingari said:

Sadly, day by day, it seems the lengths to not getting f***** over in life takes more and more time and effort (on or off line).

I gave a general over-view of the "hunter gatherer" process I employ on someone else's dime (at work) or whilst sodding Stars in Their Strictly Come Downton Brother is on the goggle box (at home).

He is trying to show how shrewd he is by using his cheap products on his car. So he tries to belittle anyone who suggests otherwise. I'd never buy a car from him because he likes to do things on the cheap.

Suggesting buying from ebay means you'll get fake products is just nonsense.

isysman said:
He is trying to show how shrewd he is by using his cheap products on his car. So he tries to belittle anyone who suggests otherwise. I'd never buy a car from him because he likes to do things on the cheap.

Well you need to be quick as the car will be more expensive next year if it's not set fire on my Halfords charger :grin:

I only wish my tailor did things on the cheap :what:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back