Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

NB Front Wheel Spacer Query???

wozy said:
I bought 7MM spacers, worried that Porsche state you need longer studs on anything more than 3MM. So took them off and went out and bought 5MM and installed them instead...... Go figure :)

You most def can tell the difference with spacers on IMO, and I'm amazed 5MM make such a difference. Saying that there is no difference in handling feel.

To be honest I think they look better than the 7MM ones, which is good, cause I can sleep better at night now knowing my wheels wont fall off as I've had them on for around 4K miles now.

My advice (I have an early 993 C2 NB on Cup2 17), go for the 5MM.

Was this 5mm on all four wheels or just the fronts?

Flightrisk said:
wozy said:
I bought 7MM spacers, worried that Porsche state you need longer studs on anything more than 3MM. So took them off and went out and bought 5MM and installed them instead...... Go figure :)

You most def can tell the difference with spacers on IMO, and I'm amazed 5MM make such a difference. Saying that there is no difference in handling feel.

To be honest I think they look better than the 7MM ones, which is good, cause I can sleep better at night now knowing my wheels wont fall off as I've had them on for around 4K miles now.

Was this 5mm on all four wheels or just the fronts?

Just the fronts

graemeho said:
wozy said:
graemeho said:
wozy said:

Just got around to fitting my 5mm spacers, also on 17" Cup2's. Look good apart from I'm now concerned about short stud length. Decided to invest in some open ended steel nuts from design 911 for piece of mind. As you can see the nuts are not fully home (about 2 threads short).

Will this be ok or do the studs need changing for longer ones? My engineering brain says change the studs but don't really want the extra hassle :?:

advice appreciated!

Graeme

4K miles and 2.5K of those going like a nutter through the twisties in the Pyrenees tells me your worrying to much. :)

7MM worried me, 5MM does not .

Not convinced Wozy

The difference in length between the 3mm and 5mm spacers will account for the amount which the thread is short by. This is probably why Porsche state over 3mm fit new studs.... :eek:

It's just the open ended nuts that scream 'I'm too short'. Sticking with standard nuts means that you can't see they are short. Think the spacers need to come off until longer studs are sourced and fitted.

Anyone changed them? looks like a careful bit of encouragement with a hammer to knock them out is all that's needed :?:

Jasmine told me the 7MM should be fine, they supplied them to me. I went for 5MM from Design911 in the end for my own piece of mind.

You may be concerned and fair enough, but racing around the mountains in the Pyrenees is just as much if not more aggressive on a car than any track day. Imagine a track day of up to 400 miles a day, and they still gave no problem.

Just for balance, in the last twenty plus years, I've driven/ridden, the Ring, Jerez, Donnington, Silverstone, Spa, Castle Coombe ....... and many more including my favourite Oulton Park, and the Pyrenees takes it toll on a car far more than any of them, and my 5MM spacers over 2.5K miles over 6 days, gave not one jot of trouble.

TBH, I always veer on the side of caution, I would never recommend anything on a forum unless I had used it myself first and then were 100% satisfied with it.

Fair enough. Thanks for the feedback. Will give it some thought :?:

From my undergrad days I seem to remember that as long as the length of exposed thread is greater than the stud diameter it should be ok :?:

Pretty much, anything is only as strong as its shortest side so M14 studs only need 14mm of nut on them to be as strong

Been thinking about this nut / thread depth issue, the rear 15mm spacers come with half depth nuts to fix them to the hubs and there doesn't appear to be a problem with those coming adrift. Nor does anyone seem to worry about it!

I've decided to go with 5mm spacers for the front though and I'll update with some pictures when they are fitted.

Thanks for all the input! :D

Wow the nuts must be thin. Interested in the photos when they are fitted :?:

285x273.jpg

graemeho said:
It's just the open ended nuts that scream 'I'm too short'. Sticking with standard nuts means that you can't see they are short. Think the spacers need to come off until longer studs are sourced and fitted.

Anyone changed them? looks like a careful bit of encouragement with a hammer to knock them out is all that's needed :?:

Yes. Has anybody actually put longer wheel studs on the front (or rear for that matter) wheel hubs?

I have done this plenty of times on other cars, mini's being one, to get the wheels to fill the Wood and Pickett arches. They usually just tap out.

But on a 993 do you have to remove the brake disk and caliper to get to the stud out of the back of the hub? I have a feeling you do. Longer wheel studs are available so I would prefer to do it that way if possible even though it's more grief.

I put longer studs in the hubs on my '79 SC track car - take out the spring that holds the handbrake shoes and this gives enough wiggle room to knock the original studs out and the new longer ones in - then I used some washers/spacers, an open faced steel wheel nut and an impact driver to wind in the new studs.
not sure if it's the same on a 993 as I've only owned it for a few days!

anyone got before and after pics of spacers fitted?

is that with standard suspension set up and tyres etc?
presume it might be slightly different with the targa 17" wheels?

With regard to wheel studs, 45mm length are standard I believe. The following are also available:

52mm which is +7mm (presumably for the front?)
66mm which is +21mm
72mm which is +27mm

I think the fronts can be changed in situ once the brake caliber and disc are removed, knock the old stud out and then push the new one in from the rear of the hub and pull through using a spacer and an open nut. Haven't done the job on a 993 though!

According to the PET the front wheel studs are:

Up to 95 part number 90434167100 45mm

95 on part number 92834167102 52mm

I matched the part numbers with the stud lengths on the type911 site.

Why there should be two different lengths for the fronts I have no idea. Maybe that why people have different ideas about what size spacer is suitable for the studs.

As mine is a 96 car I guess I would have to go up to part number 91133167100 which are 66mm.

I have open ended steel nuts on my car and with no spacers the wheel studs are only just over flush with the nuts.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back